Lee Yong Dae ( 이용대 / 李龍大)

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by taufik_lin16, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Why does LYD's personality clash with every Top Player?

Be it KSH, Shin Baek Cheol, Kim Sa Rang.

What's in his personality?

visor likes this.
  2. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Maybe he's just an alpha type. Does it really matter now? He's playing again. For that alone I'm glad.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

stanleyfm, s_mair and visor like this.
  3. hieu nguyen

hieu nguyen Regular Member

I'm glad the korean MD are back. I'd like the minions out asap.

ant01 likes this.
  4. Nine Tailed Fox

I think he could have benefitted from more creative partners. Many times his not so alpha partners have been isolated and targeted.

5. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I can agree to an extent there. However another reason could simply be that his defence is world class and with his experience and reading of the game, the strategy to defeat his pairing is simple to target the lesser known factor or the factor that is the weaker of the pair.

A more creative partner may not even solve the issue frankly. It may even worsen it. The real issue to me is finding someone with a good smash to compliment his front court abilities and also be able to soak up the pressure defensively to near the same level. Of course that someone before was the late JJS. I doubt we could ever really find someone who is similar in that respect now.

esppy and nizze like this.
  6. - иεvvεи٭т -ツ

- иεvvεи٭т -ツ Regular Member

Wizard / Chief Potato
    I've watched him play live a couple of times and he just seems like a bit of a **** to his partners, whenever they make a mistake he makes sure they know about it... so I guess he's not the best partner from that perspective.

7. Nine Tailed Fox

Shin Baek Cheol ?

8. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

What a great story that is if we really going to have the Korean MDs back to the circuit!!
    They might need some time or some level to defeat Minions, but they certainly can wreck the top 10 easily and increase the competition

9. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Perhaps. But SBC is not known for his power + accurate smashes. He's always been more of a great smash placement player. Part of why he got his AG gold was that his smashes were so accurate he was making it hard to defend.

10. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I'm not sure y'know, I like KSR and KGJ but I don't think either of them are a good partner for LYD. They are both decent players and LYD will do well with either but against the best in the world, you can't have any obvious weaknesses. When you see LYD play with either of them there are clear weaknesses that can be exploited quite easily. KJG has a decent smash and can support LYD but his forecourt abilities are relatively poor and defensively he doesn't play the kind of shots that LYD likes. LYD plays a "risk management" strategy, a bit like LD. Whereas KGJ enjoys his flat play and doesn't quite have the same judgement on what the correct shot is to play in different situations.

Whereas KSR can smash fairly hard with good defence, he can only hit one or two before he is tired. His smash is also not particularly effective. He is also more of a forecourt player which as we know, LYD is the master.

For me, YYS is his best choice currently but I'm now actually thinking KSH may be a good bet too, again.

Yes we know it didn't work out for them and LYD became frustrated with him, particularly in defence. But since splitting with LYD I have seen KSH's ability shine through. On paper KSH is a good fit for LYD. Huge smash which he can sustain relentlessly, fast, good stamina and good court coverage. XD has helped KSH develop and if only KSH can improve his defence slightly and if LYD can provide better support/encouragement a LYD/KSH partnership is not a bad choice.

But we are talking about these players as if they are still as good as they used to be. I personally don't think LYD is anywhere near as good as he used to be. He certainly wouldn't be a match for the likes of KSS/MG now.

phucle and visor like this.
  11. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I think he's personality only clashed with SBC. He didn't clash with KSH and KSR, it was more a slightly incompatibility in their abilities.

The problem is, LYD has a set (winning) strategy and system which allows him to build an advantage until he wins the rally, from any situation. He manages the "risk" of each situation so it is important that he selects the right shot. He needs a partner that can understand that and support him by playing shots that allows him to get into his preferred formation and play shots he likes.

12. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I personally don't think they will beat the minions. Not only are they no longer at their best, they no longer have the support and training resources available to them when playing for Korea. I doubt they would have the motivation to train as hard as they once did.

LYD is a lot slower than he was, also watching him play since his retirement he is not as sharp, making a lot of unforced errors which he never used to.

phucle likes this.
  13. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

completely agree, but the composition of MD top10 somehow is kinda boring atm, mainly only INA, DEN, CHN (and JAP??). So the addition of KOR will be great

14. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

Indeed bro... since a lot of player come out from retirement..can we call KKK from MAS too :D just to spice up MD dept

stanleyfm likes this.
  15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

13 7l
    Wouldn't do much to spice up anything, just another first or second round exit :&

16. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    remember that the last time we saw LYD was playing in India in January and Korean Masters. A lot many have happened since then and perhaps he will have trained hard in order to compete.

Generally, a player of LYD's calibre will not step on court unless they feel they can compete.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

Michael V and stanleyfm like this.
  17. phucle

phucle New Member

LYD has a winning strategy and he requires his partner to play his strategy. Hence, the old guards like SBC or KSH is too developed to be remade in LYD's image. I am thinking of someone similar to JJS or YYS who will step up to the attacking pressure from opponents that will invariably be directed at him because of how good LYD's defense is. At LYD/YYS prime era, YYS's defense was really only consistently broken by Ahsan/Setiawan's crafty attacks, no other pairings achieve similar feat. Not even Fu/Zhang, or the minions for that matter.

Anyhow, for another LYD's comeback to be successful, he needs a partner who will cater to his strategy, or LYD himself needs to learn that there's more than one winning strategy and he needs to change to fit a new partnership just as much as his partner. On a side note I have lots of respect for Zhang Nang for being so flexible to fit his partner's playstyle. 2 OG medals in 2 different disciplines and success with multiple partners. LYD will do well to learn from Zhang Nang in this respect.

18. ice man

ice man Regular Member

To me LYD is not supportive enough with his mate, he seems often furious when the player he is associated with makes an error...
    He should be more supportive in order to have his partner playing with full confidence.

To me if Korea want to win back with LYD he has to be partnered with a guy with an effective smash as he is not able to break defences himself. Never understood why he went from BS LYD to BS 12 in that regard, he was already one of the best in flat game/ defence.

I would pair him with KSH or a youngster firing rockets

19. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

do you guys agree lyd been participate in arguably 2 of the best world championship mens double final ever ? 2009 against cai/fu and 2014 against ksh/sbc. high quality matches. shame that he lost both of them.

ant01 likes this.
  20. event

event Regular Member

Master likes this.