Lee Chong Wei vs Lin Dan at WC 2011

Discussion in 'World Championships 2011' started by george@chongwei, Aug 12, 2011.

?

Who will be the Men's Single Champion for 2011?

1. Lee Chong Wei

100.0%
  2. Lin Dan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. victory

victory Regular Member

Ha ha LCW already has a super motivator.......WMC. In BSC serdang raya court( belong to WMC and her family), we call her "Chu Lui".:D

"Chu Lui" is so sweet, LCW doesn't need me.:) WMC and her sister Wong Mew Kheng also handle coaching over there. If you want to be motivated, you can go to BSC serdang .

Talk about those bloody politicians, I am in the mood of booting them out in next election. LCW must not pay attention to them. He just need to focus on badminton.

2. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

too all that said LD won the match because he's "lucky", well, as the saying goes, you gotta be good to be lucky and lucky to be good

3. victory

victory Regular Member

You can see it that way. I have my point of view too.

For a match that is won 22-20 at the 3rd set, there is always an element of luck.

When the game is won that way by LD, LCW's supporter will say LD is lucky. Like wise, If the game is won that way by LCW, LD's fan will say LCW is lucky.

If it were other players like PG or Taufik, their supporters will say the same.

The win is simply too marginal. Luck is something too subjective to discuss. No point we argue on this.

4. laivc

laivc Regular Member

Sales
    Quite true, one of the last shot LCW took hit the white tape of the net and fell back. If LCW had the luck, the shot could have been hit 1 cm higher instead, it could brush the white tape of the net and roll over to win a crucial point. I think the shot was taken by LCW when the score was tied at 21-21. With that point won by LD due to the "luck" factor or some of you insist, a 1 cm difference, the score then became 22-21 in favour of LD rather than in favour of LCW, matchpoint to LD instead of matchpoint to LCW. Of course LD won his matchpoint and win 23-21 to claim his 4th World Championship Men Single title, it could easily have been the 3rd matchpoint (the other 2 matchpoints at 20-19 & 21-20) to LCW and the ending to the titanic match could have been very different. Luck really is a good thing top player cannot live without.

#164 laivc, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  5. victory

victory Regular Member

Well said.:) Luck is a good thing top player cannot live without. If there is no such thing as luck, human won't create the word "luck", "god's will", "fate" , "good timing" and etc.......

Not just in sport. Luck is needed in every field. I am a businessman and investor. I know so darn well "good timing" is such an important factor in business and investing. It is not THE only factor, but it is important.

Well, some Bcers love their hero so much that they can not see things slightly more objective. Anyway, they are entitle to their point of view. That is okay. Let it be. No point arguing.

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Luck? Deserted LCW? Luck went over to the other side to favour LD?

So then, you may say:

This same "luck" favours LCW almost 100% of the time when he plays any other player, but this luck mysteriously favours LD more than him whenever the time comes for them to play against each other.

So then, this "luck" is not random. It is selective. A strange kind of luck, that has a pattern to it! :eek::p If you say "destiny" or "karma" I would be inclined to agree, but I don't think "luck" comes into the equation.

LCW was getting increasingly stressed out at the game approached the final stages; his body language, eyes, facial expressions all gave him away. Even his game showed signs of stress with uncharacteristic selection of shots, weak returns, insecure footwork. Better than most others I grant you, but nowhere close to the consistent quality of play we have witnessed from him over the past 6 months. If he failed to clear the netcord, it was because he was not at all in his zone; his core was not centred.

If I were to choose one phrase that sums up the result of this match, it would be:
    "Fortune favours the brave."

My 2c... :)

#166 cobalt, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  7. andre_kostolany

andre_kostolany Regular Member

"A good player is always lucky." -- Chess Champion José Raul Capablan
    For me it's the win of genius over sweat. LCW will not get any better - he is already at his limit.
    Also LCW had the role of the challenger to win the title. LD was in the situation to be the favorite which layed immense pressure on him.
    You could see this clearly in the match against PG, where LD was forced to play very defensive, because PG could play aggressively
    as he had nothing to loose. But LD solved the gordian knot and did it again against LCW. The final remembered me to the semi final
    against chen hong in 2006 where LD's opponent was at the top of his abilities. After the first set LD seemed to loose the match, but
    in the second match he fought back and showed his genius with incredible shots and reflexes. In the same way CH got weaker showing up his nerves. LD won the second set by a narrow margin by 21-19. You could say LD was lucky, but it was more than that. LD broke the back of his oppenent and won the third set at 21-14. As far as I know CH did not win any match against LD after that....

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    to quote Gillian Clark, "you create your own luck."

9. victory

victory Regular Member

The strange thing is Lin Dan admitted he was lucky to beat LCW this time. See Sin chew Jit Poh that reported it today. Shall we ask LD to comment over here to clear the air?:)

10. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I agree, some luck if you see it. Thanks to the unluckiness of lcw. ;) He was rushing to serve. Can't blame anyone. ;) Lindan took turn to slow it down. To reverse the psychology. ;)

11. sharhan

sharhan Regular Member

Engineer
    LCW don't have finishing lor..got 2 times game point.maybe nervous to win.hehe

12. gjoo888

gjoo888 Regular Member

Luck?

Look at the video and see what LD did when he had two match points against him. He won both match points with aggresive jump smashes that LCW couldn't even touch.

When LCW had the match point against him, he hit a relatively easy drive into the middle of the net.

Sure, there were other points that luck played a part in, for both players. But when it came down to crunch time, luck played no part in deciding the match.

13. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I agree. Luck wasn't involved in the final few points. Rather, Lin Dan had the better concentration and courage to play with aggression to kill off the matchpoints against him. Some might call it an outrageous gamble, but it is more of a calculated risk, that paid off handsomely.

14. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Luck? I think this was discussed in one of bc thread before until everyone got tired :D

We can argue/discuss until the cow comes home we will never get an answer.

It is something that prevent lcw from winning the recent wc 11.

But then again it's not fair to say Lin Dan won by luck :p

All it matters now the game is over and its better we hope for more of this thrilling,

nail biting game coming to us in the near future :D

15. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    3 reasons to justify LD's win

I'm not LD's fan or LCW's fan. I'm neither of that. My feeling, as a neutral audience, tells myself that: LD's win was more natural and reasonable. I have following reasons (Correct me if I'm wrong)

1) LD's total score was 64 while LCW 57. I know win or loss not depend on the total score, but if the final winner lost in total scoring, it sounds not legitimate enough. Like G W Bush won the election but lost the popularity

2) If LCW had won, he won 2 sets by additional overtime points. That didn't sound strong. While LD took the 2nd set 21:14, which made LD's a convincing win.

3) In the whole match overall, LD was more aggressive and with more smashes and clear winners. Active agrgressive win is always better than passive win.

16. dwinski

dwinski Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree, if you look at the semi finals and finals games, total hours played by LCW and LD are 124 mins (43 mins + 81 mins) and 156 mins (75 mins + 81 mins) respectively. Likewise, LCW vs. JC only lasted for 2 sets while LD vs. PHG had 3 sets which goes that LCW had less pressure during the semi finals game than LD.

Clearly in the finals, LD won because he had much better stamina and strength compared to LCW during the match. He also showed tremendous focus, concentration and aggressiveness all throughout the match.

I am actually a LCW fan so my humble advise to the "great datuk", a must have is the great power not only of the body but also of the mind, the passion and mental toughness to win, the talent and competencies are definitely there, he just have to combine all of these.

With barely a year to go in London, win the GOLD and make Malaysia very proud, go go LCW you can DO IT!!!!!!

17. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    In the second set, Lin Dan dominated from start until end

and Lcw just couldn't keep up. :p

Clearly we could see he gave it up for the rubber game.

Same case with Peter and Lin Dan, also 2nd game :D

So here, hope I make some sense :D,

counting their total points won't be an accurate assumption:p :D

But your 3rd point I would like put a "Like" there :)

#177 pBmMalaysia, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

New (nick) name for Lee Chong Wei???..

..i was told his new (nick) name is now Lee Choked Wei..???..:confused::rolleyes::confused:

*btw, i saw the MS Final, but just the last few pts of the 3rd game (not interested to watch the entire match; maybe later)..what can i say??..

19. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

it's also worth to note that on
    game 1 - LCW took it on his 5th game point,
    game 2 - LD took it on his first game point, and
    game 3 - after LCW failed to win with 2 match points LD took it with his first match point.

20. flite

flite Regular Member

I too was told that sometimes not too long ago during one of the tourney held near your place when you were an extra pair of helping hands, you bad-mouthed LCW in front of many of the officials there in the open...??..:confused::rolleyes::confused: on top of that I too was told that in contrast you are very good at licking the balls of person/persons that is deemed important to you..??

Btw, no one actually asked you whether did you watched the entire match let alone your interest on it so why bother telling it out of of sudden?

If calling names at this point of time at a person who just lost in the WC final is all your intention.. ahhh..then troll is actually not that bad after all.;)