Lee Chong Wei should apologise

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by hsengsping, Aug 16, 2007.

1. emmsfan

emmsfan Regular Member

Student
    I think as a top national player, it is normal to face pressure. To be a champion, you should be able to face the pressure rather than directing it to someone else when you are unable to handle it. If you are unable to handle it, there is no way he can be a champion.

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

from The Star online

Badminton: Chong Wei among players called in for meeting

PETALING JAYA: Singles and doubles badminton players, including Lee Chong Wei and Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, will be called to attend the post-mortem meeting held by the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) next week. BAM honorary secretary Ganga Rao said usually such post-mortem meetings, which are held regularly after each tournament, are only attended by coaching and training committee members. This time the BAM has decided to include the players as well.

3. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i really wish LCW is a player that could handle the pressures of world class tournaments better but i dont think it is constructive to beat a man while he is down and i dont think calling for him to quit the national team is the way to go. am i sad he played badly? yes. am i disappointed by our malaysian players? a bit. do i think the whole malaysian team are useless? not at all or we would not have won any big tournaments at all. do i think they are spoilt? sometimes but that is not entirely their fault rather it is the politicians and their hidden agenda's fault. should we still support them? yes! with all my heart, Yes! why? because these players are our players. whatever good and bad about them sort of reflects on us. like with family, you stick by them through thick and thin. maybe a little loyalty is what we need.

4. Hot-screensaver

Hot-screensaver Regular Member

5. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    When he loses in India Open, he will say that THIS MEETING has given him too much pressure! muahahahahahaha! :D

6. milady_aries

milady_aries Regular Member

Student
    koo fan: Yes, I do agree with the statement on the huge difference our government and China handling players but didn't that just make Chong Wei sound like a brat brought up without a mind of his own. Pressure may have been different for those two but when someone is pushed to a desperate corner, he'll do anything to archieve his goal. Our government ruined them yes...oh god I remember how much they ruined KKK but I blame him for being overrated.

Harsh but its the truth. My point is stop taking everything as excuses including the fans and start focusing on what's important. It's the same basic of life we go through everyday :D I just wish as much they would stop spoiling them. Koo_fan you have a very strong point there. I blame the players too :D

7. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    you need not apologise for setting a goal...

8. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Good observation,friend.
    Im happy there's someone understand what im trying to say.Im not blaming the government but i do really think we have to be more harsh to them.(i mean the players)
    Not to brainwash them till they are losing confidence but to give hope in a much better way .

9. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Sometime or maybe most of the time our goverment or the association overreact. For example the match between LWW/CTF against CAiYun and FU. Mew Choo vs XXF. When they won.. yes we can celebrate for the upset. But its like they won the title or something. What i mean is we are getting desperade. We still need support... but not TOO MUCH.

10. USAfan

USAfan Regular Member

NewsMedia
    You are right, the politicians loves to be in the limelight, the players should have been shuttle away after the game to prepare for the next crucial game. The battle hasn't won yet and we started celebrating, that's why the players did not go further because the expectations were met, premature celebration ...... time for the coaches to step up and take control.:mad:

11. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Yes.. I did see WMC being congrats & Cheered by the MAS Sports Minister. Really curious wat the lady related with WMC success.:rolleyes:
    Players like LD, FHY/CY was never getting over excited even if they manage to win the titles at their home ground . Why couldn't ALL the MAS follow their footsteps? It is too early to start the celebrations until u are really tops of the world !

12. indra

indra Regular Member

Never ever blame the players for their failure (in this context: LCW and KKK/TBH). Never....never!

I am an Indonesian...here in Indonesia no matter how we want our players to win, the result is at the hand of the player...We can only watch, support, cheer, encourage and praise them when they win....(that's it) NOT Blame them when they lose....

We (Indonesians) wanted very much to see Taufik win...yet he lost...but we never blamed Taufik for his failure....and the same applies to other players....

13. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    :D:D:D we only " gigit jari"..:D:D:D..just bite our tongue....

14. indra

indra Regular Member

Yes....:D...and I usually scratch my head :D

Are you in Bali now ? Anyhow...nice meeting you in Jakarta:)

15. badminto_expert

badminto_expert Regular Member

Consultant
    Yes. I have agreed with u. LCW lost. no need to apologise. It is normal for sports. Anybody can win and lost.

LCW gave contribution to Malaysia already a lot. He won the some tournaments and the performance improve after handle by Misbun Sidek.

A lot of malaysian don't like LCW want to change his coach to misbun sidek. Because the issue is race. It is not good to bring up to the sports.

16. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    No need for apologies...

That's right, indra, hau-ge, and badminto-expert...

The INA fans only support [and hope, even though are often only can bite our nails...], never demand apologies, never give excuses, never demand excuses either... We know none of the professionals want to loose... Actually, the only INA player in the past that keep giving excuses was Icuk Sugiarto. Many fans in INA criticize him for giving excuses. :( Anytime someone give excuses, we even said "you sound like Icuk... stop it!"...

Our great players never complain and apologize. Christian, Liem Swie King, Candra Wijaya, Tony Gunawan, Rudy Hartono, Tan Joe Hok, Ivana Lie, Susi Susanti, Lili Tampi, Imelda Wiguna, etc. even Taufik... Taufik, as I remember it, never fail to give credit to the player that beat him... :) Taufik would say, "He played better than me today"...

17. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i agree that the premature celebration by the malaysian officials when WMC and LWW/CTF defeated the top seed was kinda embarassing. i was wondering too what they were celebrating about. but i think i have decided to support our players fully like the indonesians do. however i will never support the kind of spoilt-rotten treatment to our player by the politicians and i hope our players will stop responding to these treatments like it is the ultimate prize for them and see that the ultimate prize is winning the tournament itself. and hopefully they will be mentally stronger than what they have shown so far. and i will support them win or lose as long as they played their hearts out. looking at the pictures of FHF and CY red eyed after losing to our players was testament of how badly they wanted to win it even though they have won other tournaments before. and whatever was said by their coach and their countrymen for the defeat, i have not heard them being bashed like our players did. the same could be said of indonesian players. i know they do get critisized for bad play but never bashed like they are never good enough to play for their country. *sigh* hoping for a better future of badminton in malaysia in terms of players, fans and management.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I wouldn't say never unless it was really obvious that it was the player's fault.

But yes, good point.

19. hsengsping

hsengsping Regular Member

The psychology of Indonesians vs Msian badminton fans is a little different: Indonesians seemed to win regularly e.g. recent WC performance whereas for Msian players and fans titles are rare and far between. MK/HS is seeded 3 and won (the korean pair is seeded 13 and in the final) ditto Zhu Lin and Wang Chen- Msian players are very often seeded in similar positions for major tournaments but very rarely (no world and OG titles and very rare AE and AG titles) went on to take the title.

I don't know why this is but "choking" might be the culprit. If that's the case a fundamental, deep down self belief and confidence must be lacking. Have a real lesson to learn from Nicole David of squash who is a real colossus in the contemporary game. I think KKK/TBH have the best potential to break out of this mould with required self belief and don't care too much about what others think attitude required of champions.

LCW played very badly by his standards in the WC defeat by Sony - worthy of apology to fans? Perhaps; much in the same as he was badly shaken by the defeat to the extent of (almost?) public tears, fans are similarly shaken though without the tears(?).

LCW's outburst following the defeat about potential causes for the defeat? Certainly warrants an apology to my mind and I understand an apology of sorts had emerged soon after so probably time to move on in this respect.

20. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Hmm...your point is well made. ...I guess the condition is different. :)

Oh, as for LCW, I think loosing to Sony is not too bad. Everybody can have off days. Loosing because of off-days+a worthy opponent is a logical and understandable result. Sony defeated Peter Gade and Chen Yu... and played really well against Lin Dan. So, Sony is not a pushover at all; he is the reigning Olympic Bronze Medalist, as we know... Loosing to an Olympic medalist is ok laaah...

Loosing to Sony is not as bad as loosing to Krisna [me]. Now that's bad. If LCW looses to me, then he should apologize... :p

#140 Krisna, Aug 24, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2007