Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. renbo

renbo Regular Member

It is very probable LD let Shi win in the SF. It is not that he's slow, cannot inject pace, or anything, because we saw what happened with Axelsen, who is no push over.
    LD does not want to meet LCW I suppose. Keep that for the WC and Team competition...

2. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Always probable for LD. LD is too slow now. He can't keep up with the youngsters. That's why he always play stroke like it's 90s. Cannot inject pace and cannot retrieve SYQ's smash, how to win? He should retire already before loaing in every tournament he play. His time is already over. No more stroke boring play here. Can he even qualified in WC as THW, CL, SYQ and others are in front of him? Lazy is lazy.

3. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Having watched LD v SYQ match court side, I don't think he is slow. I think he was tired. He still has 80-90% the speed he did in say 2009-10 but he just doesn't have the stamina to use it all the time given his age. He had a tough match the day before against VA which would have taken a lot out of him.

I think if LCW had a gruelling match the day before, he may not have done quite so well either. It's obvious LCW's stamina is not what it used to be.

I also do not agree that this is laziness, as I don't think you can call anyone who reaches the semi's of the AE "lazy" - talent alone won't get you that far. Neither could you say his time is over. He beat VA the day before! Does that mean VA's time is over too then?

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Pardon me, who's the one who started calling LCW bad boy? Me or pjswift ? Hard to imagine I've been dealing with a madam all these years, the bellicosity.

Please stop dragging Lin Dan into the picture, belittling and calling him names in a vain, underhand attempt to make LCW look good. That awful racquet-throwing threatrical stunt - not his first - why wasn't he warned or red-carded (for playing to the gallery?) ?

I mean, with extreme fans like you and pjswift spoiling LCW rotten, how do you expect him to behave, the more so as he has just come back with another glorious result, as if he owns BAM ?

What is Morten Frost hired to do for BAM ? He must have done right the previous time, that's why BAM top officials lured him back the second time with certain KPIs to fulfil. If he has done anything wrong, why wasn't he taken to task, reprimanded or sacked ? Instead the BAM President likened it to a husband-and-wife quarrel and came out with that expedient solution in the hope the whole ugly matter will blow over or resolve itself as time goes by.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Let's try and keep Lin Dan to a minimum in this thread.

And the emotions less excitable.

Thanks

Mod

6. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

And perhaps less "LCW isn't injured, he trick the media, I know since I can see his MRI scan better than doctors" theory.

7. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Also the "LCW is badboy because he is celebrating after hard points" cliche.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Do you know the sensitivity and specificity of MRI scan as a diagnostic test in MCL injury?

And it was the media who reported his injury.

9. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Of course I don't know about it. People here seems to think otherwise though, saying it's "fake" without any evidence. Hendrawan confirms LCW's injury. Less bias please.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Actually, people will re-question the original diagnosis as the recovery period seems remarkably quick for a top class athlete in this particular injury especially to get to near the top of his game.

Doctor's and diagnostic tests are not infallible.

It is not bias.

11. xsakurax

xsakurax Regular Member

LOL I thought LCW did something offensive after reading some comments here about his behavior at 16-7 points in the semi-final.
    He just raised his hand to celebrate? That's it??
    Here I thought he was celebrating excessively by shouting at his opponent, take off his clothes or throwing his racket:p
    We have seen much worst behavior from other players though

Chillax and stop over analyzing his action:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    There is not much time left for him as he is getting older
    At his age, its not easy to win especially when there are many younger players and he is more prone to injury
    Other single players have chosen to retire at LCW's age and here we have LCW who still keeps going on strong as WR1

Anyway congrats LCW
    Honestly I thought he will retire after Olympic games last year
    I guess he is still not willing to hang up his racket yet
    Bravo for his determination:)

#13091 xsakurax, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  12. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    The trend will continue, PG captured his last Europe Championship at 34, LD won AE at 33, Sony DK won Singapore Open at 32, now LCW got AE at 34. Just like in tennis recently Roger Federer and Serena Williams, both at 35, who just won the recent Wimbledon.

13. esppy

esppy Regular Member

First thing that comes to mind is Axelsen's mentality (aka the Danish Temper) and also his physicality during rubber sets are.... erm.... lacking for a better word, stretched.

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Depends on the match. In the OG Bronze match, he was fine with 3 games, but in the AE, LD made him run a LOT, especially in G2. Also I guess VA got frustrated since so many of his attacking shots came back and he couldnt get on the attack quite enough...

15. Ginsan95

Ginsan95 Regular Member

I didn't make myself clear enough, my bad. I don't mean to say that Chou raised his arm like Lee did, but Chou celebrated almost every point he EARNED in the first game of the semifinal, and there's nothing wrong with it, as with Lee's celebration after a hard fought point.

Sorry for being too bashful. I was in a really bad mood that day because of all the hate Lee is getting, even if it's not his fault.

P.S. As for the affair with MF, I believe Lee should apologize to MF. He shouldn't have gone public with this matter, and he shouldn't have threatened to leave BAM if they don't get rid of MF. Whatever issue they have, they should sort it out on their own, privately. Using the media to pressure BAM and MF just feel like he's using his star power to bully MF. The fact that MF had to communicate with Lee through his coach or whoever tells me they really haven't had the chance to talk face to face. Only more misunderstanding will spawn from communicating through a middle person.

16. indrg

indrg Regular Member

LCW went to a rubber to vanquish CTC. LCW is fitter than LD and he is 1 year older than LD too.

17. indrg

indrg Regular Member

it is not lazy lah... like Taufik it is time for LD to retire for good.

18. indrg

indrg Regular Member

boohoooo.... "probable LD let Shi win in the SF." If it was true, the strategy did not work as LCW trounced Shi in the Final. It was not even close.

19. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Do you think LCW will be able to play in next year AE as he said while still remains under BAM? It is interesting that he said he will back to Birmingham next year.

20. indrg

indrg Regular Member

it is called intimidation tactic. LCW, Marin and Kevin do it once a while. It is fine IMHO.

Cheung likes this.