Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Was at a dinner party last night and we saw Chong Wei's reaction after winning the semifinal. We didn't think he needed to react that way. Maybe he is trying to develop a bad boy attitude. IMO, he's too old for that - it is something he should have shown ten years ago.

2. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    I didn't see anything wrong.
    He's in the final of the All England after a tricky match and he just hold his arms up and celebrates for a second and then thoroughly thanks his opponent for the match.
    This clearly still means a lot for him.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

It was before that moment

4. racketman123

Dentist in training...
    Oh right that rally at 16-9, I think.
    Yeah tbf that was a bit excessive.

5. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Nah, it wasn't excessive at all. If you all remember, Lin Dan did it exactly the same way after winning a hard point from Tian Houwei. He was shouting and doing machine gun pose. No one complained.

6. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

But when LCW doing it, you all be like "he shouldn't do it. It was horrible." Lin Dan did it and he got praised for it. Sameway LD throws racquet and everyone was like it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Rob3rt and esppy like this.
  7. racketman123

Dentist in training...
    Just because Lin Dan did it and no one complained, doesn't means it okay.
    I understand the want to celebrate after a long rally. When you already have a significant lead, it's a bit unnecessary.

8. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    I think it is time that bwf make some rule that any player above 30 should not perform any celebration action on court especially after winning from a tough long rally due to health concern :):)

soulpx, Vijay P., visor and 3 others like this.
  9. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Just open the thread and saw this post.
    Even a celebration is an issue.

10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Just fininished reading the thread.

Correct..no celebration for those that :
    1. Has won more than 1 Olympic title
    2. Has won more than 1 WC
    3. Has won more than 5 PSS
    4. Has won more than 10 SS
    5. Has won more than 50 GPG
    ...please add.

shooting stroke likes this.
  11. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I don't think anyone here condemn LCW for his behaviour on court, at least I don't. Others are much worse, among whose Axelsen ranks very high. LD is not without fault, as was mentioned just some comments above.
    The notes we made is more because those behaviour taste fake coming from LCW, they reveal something of his personality that is interesting to notice, specially as he is someone who came very close to take the highest spot but failed so because perhaps he was not though enough.
    It is also because we expended from LCW's bizarre reactions in the media when clashing with MF.

racketman123 likes this.
  12. visor

visor Regular Member

He's made it into his final AE final, despite his knee injury ... let the man celebrate one last time.

Helix99, nokh88 and shooting stroke like this.
  13. shooting stroke

1. If strap applied more than 50 percent all over body.
    2. If can smash above 300 kph most of the time
    3. A BC member :)
    4. Doesnt watch any of the latest anticipated movies released e. g logan, rogue one etc
    5. Eats noodle
    6. If caught smoking around the court before his match or his coach is caught smoking with him around the court before his match

14. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yup...he doesn't have many more.

15. shooting stroke

Last AE, last WC.......last Olympic (hmmmmm.........).... Damn time do travel fast this days.... Good luck DLCW in the final....... Win or not (Hopefully can win).... you are still a winner to me :)

16. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Wow, imagine having LCW s match as the main entertainment at a dinner party or was it the main course? What a compliment to LCW!
    What has age got to do with a bad boy attitude? All boys have it. It s a matter of when it will show up, if ever. With TH and LD, they showed it pretty early, with LCW , it s been latent for too long.
    Better be prepared for more bad boy behaviour from LCW. And it s good for his badminton. The best is yet to come.

And for those who think you have to behave according to your age because 'we' said so, don't let 'we' limit you as long as you do no harm. I play with an interesting badminton group. One badminton kaki, incidentally an ex AE veteran, (no , we are not that good in standard in spite of his membership) once described another badminton kaki this way : You look at Jiow, his legs are those of a teenage athlete, his body like those in their 30s without the paunch, his face like one in his 70s. So how is Jiow supposed to behave according to 'we'? It happens he s the oldest in our group but he can play two hours badminton non stop. I asked him how did he develop his stamina. He said he started brisk walking an hour each day after he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes when he was in his 40s. So folks, you decide how you want to live your life, don't let any 'we' limit you.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Bunch of Malaysians at the party as well. That's why the TV was on. Well, it was the durian time and I would rather watch badminton than sit in front of a smelly and foul durian.

We never said he shouldn't do it :) He just didn't need to do it. There is a difference in the meaning;)

And I stand by my opinion he should have been doing this much earlier on in his career.

#13017 Cheung, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  18. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Hahaha this thread developed into a moral do and don'ts for LCW while LD's thread became a bunch of guys finding excuses for his loss via "lack of motivation/nothing to win anymore".....

If anything, LCW letting it rip openly could help his mentality, he used to coop it all up and it always spectacularly blew up on him at finals of big events.
    BUT I also find that it could be a bit too early, doing this in SF... he celebrated when he won Jorgensen in WC15 and got booted the next day at finals....

Well I guess this is more entertaining than the other side where the couple peeps finds a pathetic stand and conclusion that LD chooses when to lose and what to win.

visor and Ginsan95 like this.
  19. Ginsan95

Ginsan95 Regular Member

Uh, I had to login because I couldn't stand the hate Lee is getting anymore, it's getting pretty freakin ridiculous. I went on youtube to watch the highlight and there are actually people who put blame on Lee for a fault left uncalled, the hate is getting out of hand now.

What makes the way Lee celebrated different from shouting and holding his fist up? Chou celebrated every point in the second half of the first game in the same manner. It was a hard fought point and he won the point. If anything, that was the biggest compliment Chou could have gotten because that means that Lee actually acknowledged that it was a good rally, and he had to fight hard for it. He could have also believed that the rally was the turning point of the game, therefore happy when he won it.

What's with all the talk about "not saying he should not do it, but he need not do it", that's just bullshit, excuse my language. He's 35 years old for Christ's sake, he's not physically on top of his game anymore, he can't will his way to victory anymore even if he want to. He feels happy about ONE hard earned point and people jump on him like he raped your entire family and hanged their corpses in the middle of a town or something.

If I may say so, it's legit pathetic how much you guys are hating on Lee, go look in the mirror and reflect upon yourself.

P.S. as for the "fake personality" talk, I must say I totally disagree, human is not as one dimensional as you'd like to make them out to be, reaction is situational. Just because he hasn't done it a lot early in his career doesn't make it any less legit. Besides, if you think closely about it, the "fake" part has to be how he doesn't celebrate early in his career but then do it now, right? Let's dissect this argument for a second,

Past - fake because he doesn't celebrate, meaning he's holding it back
    Present - real because he celebrated, meaning he held back in the past
    Issue - The fact that he's held back in the past doesn't make him look bad, "fake" in itself isn't an "insult" per se.

So I don't get what point you're trying to get across with the "fake" comment.

edit: the post above me is so true. I visit the Lin Dan thread and I was surprised at how much excuses were thrown around. No offense, but the bias is showing in the most ugly way possible from the fans on badmintoncentral. I don't like all the LCW fans who bash LD, vice versa. Tbh mod should do their job and clean the forum, this place is toxic as hell.

indrg, esppy, visor and 1 other person like this.
  20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Huh? I watched the game again after you wrote this. Could you clarify at which point Chou acts like LCW did in 3rd game 16-7? I don't have any problem holding a fist up if you turn away from the opponent. In the screenshots, LCW is quite obviously facing his opponent....

It would be really good if you can state which point of the match Chou raises his fist at Lee Chong Wei. Thanks.

LCE-AE2.jpg LCW-AE.jpg

racketman123 likes this.