Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys

Attitude wise there's nothing wrong with LCW from my point of view. I know Mandarin, Malay, English to understand most things he said and I don't relate with anything Hans or Victor said about him. He's actually nice, humble, positive and have sense of humor.

LCW's actually the total opposite as of what they thought he is. Dude's much more loved by Malaysian than Hans or Victor by Danish. There's that and I don't know much about Hans but never liked Victor's tantrum with angry looks, swearing, kicking or banging rackets anyway. I favor LCW's attitude over Victor, but maybe I just don't know Danish to be able to relate with Victor.

2. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    Simply put; everyone smiles for a photo...

However I find it hard to believe some of the things said about LCW.

3. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    It is too suitable that Hans and Axy come up with this just after LCW and his DEN coach did not get along. They are probably on Frost side in the conflict and start to talk bad about LCW to diminish him. I Always liked LCW attitude, I never liked Axy attitude.

Bunga kacung and badlove like this.
  4. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    thumbnail_Screenshot_2017-03-06-22-01-42-1.jpg

thumbnail_Screenshot_2017-03-06-22-06-06-1.jpg

Everyone smiles for a photo, but I doubt juniors would take selfies or group selfies with him, tagged him or what not if he hasn't being nice to his juniors, for that I'm talking CWF, Iskandar, ZZ, Misbun, and many more doubles players that I don't have to mention. Misbun and ZZ even just recently posted some with him in England now for AE. That speaks volume about his relationships with them.

I don't believe anything they said, because I know Malay, Mandarin and English to understand LCW's character and attitude. I've seen photos of him dining with his coach when he was a junior (Elvin Teh Seng Huat), and he actually stood up to put food on his coach's plate. And if you've known how he treated all coaches be it Sidek, Tey Seu Bock or Hendrawan, I have all the respect to his attitude.

#12964 badlove, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Bunga kacung likes this.
  5. racketman123

Dentist in training...
    Honestly I believe LCW does have a good relationship with the juniors, because I think he's just a very nice guy in general and wants the best for in country in the future.
    However, you can't really tell too much from pictures...

Bunga kacung and badlove like this.
  6. volcom

volcom Regular Member

No need for others to try and trash LCW's image for their countrymen

badlove likes this.
  7. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Totally agree Axelsen could be a pain too watch sometimes. For Danish player, I've always like Peter Gade's attitude, love his cool and calm attitude on court and friendly personality.

Bunga kacung and justinloong like this.
  8. racketman123

Dentist in training...
    It's almost the Danish way (In badminton terms anyway) to be aggressive and slightly impatient. I think the fact that the Danish badminton setup runs like clockwork and is so regimented and you can see that in their movement and style of play, that players can seem like different people on the court because they've been taught that way.
    Peter has always been a nice guy on and off the court, but I think Axelsen doesn't really give the impression that he's nice at all, whereas in reality he probably is.

Darja likes this.
  9. visor

visor Regular Member

I think you fellas are confusing the player's intensity vs their attitude when on court. Danish players are surely intense when on court, but they're nice when off court.

10. racketman123

Dentist in training...
    That's what I mean, I you didn't know, you'd assume the Danes aren't nice people off court either.

11. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    No, I know they're probably nice people off court.

But you don't see LCW shouting out loud the F word, kicking and slamming rackets. He's much more matured emotionally than that.

Not to mention an incident where someone called the serve judge to check on his eyes. I've seen it live in stadium when the other partner actually gave a long and cocky stare at Chai Biao (who seemed uninterested to deal with that kind of psy war bullshit). I just don't like some of their antics on court.

I would exclude Peter Gade as he's the one that seems to have more mature and nice attitude of all.

My message to these young Danes better practice what they preach and start with the man in the mirror. :)

#12971 badlove, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Bunga kacung likes this.
  12. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

People should take note of this with a grain of salt. It's not good to talk bad about other people without hearing both sides.

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The one thing you didnt address is that the Danes were talking about his attitude towards others, and their attitude towards others (not themselves) is pretty much impeccable. Victor is an emotional player that openly shows his unhappiness with himself when he doesnt play to his own expectation, but I've never seen him show bad attitude towards other players.
    I can also tell you that many Europeans take little to no issue with thpse reactions you mentioned. How you treat opponents on court is a different matter.

14. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    IMHO, expressing bad or negative issue openly about your other profesional badminton colleague be it true or not is not a proper way to deal with it. If you are a pro then such issue should be deal also like a pro, comfine it to yourself VA and friend, and then comfront him and discuss. That is a more healthy way to do it for the prosperity of badminton.

Everybody has some amount if devil inside them but that doesnt give any right for other prople to openly critic them. Given a Datuk titlle by the Sultan and regard as a National treasure here in Malaysia does not makes Datuk Lee Chong Wei immortal either. He still makes mistakes like anyone of us, mortal human beings.

If VA and friend expressing those facts as also an indirect way of to support their fellow countryman that is working here......that is understandable. Similarly like DLCW expressing his feelings about MF on how he is treated after he is injured..... also that is understandable. However, as far as referring to the current high level tension between DLCW and MF that seems to cool down, telliing openly issues about DLCW behaviour is just like adding additional fire to the current existing one........ this i cant understand....but well those are the obstacle of life that we also sometimes encountered:):):).

SS

#12974 shooting stroke, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    Bunga kacung, Justin L and Cheung like this.
  15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Normal Chinese table manners.

But one thing really puzzles me is why make the dissatisfaction so public. To me, it is inconsistent with his general behaviour over so many years.

shooting stroke and justinloong like this.
  16. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Must be the change in atmosphere around the camp with MF getting more influence after the Olympics performances, and LCW slowly getting pushed towards the side... towards retirement.

17. leejunlong999

leejunlong999 Regular Member

student
    i think vans and axelsen just maybe felt that, he was disrespecting frost? just a moment of distress that lead to their words

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

the technical term is "getting old".

19. soami

soami Regular Member

Nothing VA or Vittinghus have said is untrue. I would also add that LCW tries to make eye contact with his opponents after winning a point which is clearly an insult. Plus he disputes more line calls than anyone on the planet. Thankfully the hawk eye has put an end to those tantrums.
    The Chinese in this sense are most professional and respectful I would say.

(VA said LCW tries to hit your body even if he can win points by hitting somewhere else. Vittinghus said LCW shows off and fools around when he has a lead, which is insulting for the opponent)

#12979 soami, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    Tekkai likes this.
  20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That is something I can beat him at.

If he did, it's not obvious.

a) hitting body is a legitimate tactic - it is less likely to go out the sides.
    b) even from young, LCW likes to play around with the shuttle. Another player called Zhao Jianhua (ever heard of him?) also admitted to wanting to entertain on court.

Bunga kacung likes this.