Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The 'old' LCW is back. His return to form, at or near his best, is heartening news to MAS badminton. Still LCW must learn to preserve himself, not try too hard to win everything,more importantly, peak at the right time; even Chen Long is learning to take a break, skipping the French Open.

At this stage, I believe only Chen Long can stop LCW who is not without his chances though; Lin Dan in his current form I'm not so sure unless he also returns to anywhere near his best soon. With Rio Olympics beckoning, the picture should become clearer in the months leading to it. Right now, still a bit hard to tell, except for Chen Long, the clear front-runner.

2. lcw the best

lcw the best Regular Member

Bomb maker
    Yah he still has much more improvements to be made!

3. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Chen Long is very wise, not going for all tournaments, skipping one from time to time ; but LCW always had a problem : he cannot stay at home and train, as he cannot get highest practice with his fellows national teammates, while Chen Long has everything he wants with his friends WZM, THW, XS and else.

4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I would also say 2011 to until before he got injured.

5. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Looks like LCW was using the last 3 matches of the FO for training, after he saw off VA.

6. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

This is totally and utterly rubbish that he and his cronies tried to make people (mostly the taxpayers that foot the bills) to believe and to cover their own backsides.
    You can’t find someone good enough to train with you! How about 2 side by side or even 4 with one in each corners?
    It’s all about the dollar sign. Fairly enough as professional player you pocket the prize monies that you won but none if you stay behind and train at home.

7. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

129578_1.jpg

Well said

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I disagree very much. There's a huge difference between running drills and match practice. You wont notice as much how well your shots work if you play against 4, and you'll have a different mindset as well. Playing against a single quality opponent is a very important aspect of singles training.
    That being said, it doesnt mean you have to play every tournament if you dont have good sparring partners at home, but LCW will want to get his ranking as high as possible to avoid meeting CL in the Semis in Rio. LD will probably want to do the same, getting to #4 as a minimum to ensure that the 3 most dangerous players can meet in the Semis at the earliest.

9. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    ^^^ Couldn't agree more.

10. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

well, we have to agree to disagree then.

as to your point re. OLY qualification. cmiiw 2 players from the same country will always placed at the different half of the draw regardless of seeded or not.

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'm not certain, but if both are seeded, they'll get different halves. I think the non-seeded have to be drawn completely random, but I could be wrong.

12. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Do you even play badminton yourself? It is a big difference playing against 1 opponent at your own level or against 2 or more opponents at any level, it is a totally different game.

13. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

Congrats Latuk. Looks like Duora 10 is not that bad after all. A win can silence many critics. I am thinking of buying Duora now.

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    That's why they say it is easier for the ladies to get quality training since they can spar with the guys who are generally stronger.

However, there are not many quality male players that can be used in training, unless you have a big pool like China or India (for singles training).

In this sense, LCW has been exceptional, as he is self-motivated and willing to do the hard work.

I remember a Singapore coach telling me that you may choose to send your top players to another 'better' country to train, but the host country may not offer you the their best players. If they do, and your player managed to beat their top players, most likely, there won't be a second chance to train with them again. Each country will look after its own national interest.

In a sense, it is very difficult for a small country like Singapore to produce many quality players because of the lack of a variety of high level players to train with.

However, our young butterfly swimming sensation, Joseph Schooling, did it in another way. The American system allows him to join a top varsity well known for swimming so that he can get the best training from one of the top coaches in the US. And because the varsity has many other top young swimmers to compete with, Schooling is able to fulfill his ambition.

#12094 Loh, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  15. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Besides what have been said by other members to oppose your point, which are all excellent, we can also note you offensive, exaggerated tone which characterise many of your posts and do bring nothing

16. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

fantastic performance from LCW in FO..
    Really hope he can continue and save a little bit the "power" before Olympic.

at 33 years old, age is just a number!

17. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

He said he look forward to play well at China Open and Hong Kong Open. Does well mean win ? I'm not so sure, you may have inadvertently put words into his mouth. Just kidding, I'm sure he wants to win.

For me, it's my wish to see LCW's return to form provoke and instil a sense of urgency in Lin Dan to pull up his socks as quickly as possible.

19. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    The worst thing about Lee Chong Wei coming back to the game is Gill's incessant fawning over him. When there's another player on court she doesn't seem to acknowledge them, except when Lee Chong Wei scores a point against them.

Just been watching LCW's game with Sho Sasaki...

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, a tad much...