Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Good example of the saying...

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

2. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    This will be tough as well for Datuk Misbun and Rashid

3. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    I'm actually an asthmatic fellow. Cheung is right, regular use of this meds is muscle-wasting. After a while, you muscle tires easily, as if it can't support your body's movement in quick reflexes. My doc actually advise me to take calcium and vit d supplements. I'm only 40. But what the heck, I'm also an avid user of the inhaler too. Dexamethasone is a double-edged sword, it accelerates healing, but not performance.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

5. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/sports/article/chong-wei-takes-razif-to-court

KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 2 — World No 1 Lee Chong Wei confirmed he is suing Razif Sidek for alleging he has been using banned substances for a long time.

The former national shuttler Razif had told Kosmo on Nov 11 that several Badminton Association of Malaysia officials were aware Chong Wei has been taking banned substances for some time, but kept mum as he is the world’s top shuttler.

He also alleged Chong Wei hired a foreign doctor to treat him.

“My lawyer sent him a letter a few days ago and we will settle this matter in court. He (Razif) had called me to apologise after receiving the letter, but what’s done is done,” fumed Chong Wei, who had tried without success to contact Razif when the story first broke

“I can’t let this go because he defamed me.

“As a former shuttler, I’m sure he knew better than to make false allegations against me — especially during these trying times. He has hurt not only me, but the entire country with his comments.”

The two-time Olympic silver medallist added: “Why don’t you (the press) try and contact him to see what he has to say?”

Efforts to get in touch with Razif proved futile.

Chong Wei is under provisional suspension after traces of dexamethasone were found in his urine samples taken during the World Championships in Copenhagen, Denmark, in August.

Dexamethasone is an anti-inflammatory substances used to aid rehabilitation and is permitted outside competition as it is not a performance enhancing drug.

Athletes can only use it during competition if they fill up a Therapeutic Use Exemptions form

Chong Wei’s case will be discussed by the Badminton World Federation Doping Hearing Panel later this month.

He faces a maximum two-year ban but could receive a lighter sentence as he as an exemplary record having passed 124 anti-doping tests in 15 years.

6. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    This Razif, what's going on in his mind? Trying to say something false in broad daylight? I thought surely he must be in the right mind to say such a thing... but now...:confused:

7. visor

visor Regular Member

I think rather than purposefully slandering, he's just being guilty of ignorance... of the difference between different classes of steroids, and how some of them are allowed to be used during the non competition period.

LCW is suing only because he has not publicly retracted his statement. I'm sure once he's done that, LCW would retract the lawsuit too.

But some people can be stubborn, we'll see how stubborn he can be...

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    He said LCW has been taking drugs for quite some time. That is quite a statement to make!

9. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    A statement that given the high profile nature of the story you would need to be very confident of being able to back up. No smoke without fire and all.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

Razif's claim
    http://www.therakyatpost.com/news/2...s-chong-wei-using-banned-substance-long-time/

It's obvious from this piece of sensationalized reporting that the reporter has found an unwitting (and dimwitted) target willing to go on the record as he did.

It's also obvious that both the reporter and Razif are not even remotely aware of what dexamethasone is and what it's used for. Not to mention that it is allowed in the out of competition period. Or that it can be used in asthma, arthritis, allergic reactions during competition period if a TUE is applied for.

All it is, is a bit of sensational reporting and claim to stir some sh1t. Hence the backlash from the public and BAM and LCW.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

So all Razif has to do is to publicly apologize for his comments and I'm sure LCW will retract the lawsuit. But we'll see how stubborn he can be.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Or he should hold the reporter responsible.

13. shooting stroke

I believe that Razif will make a public apology and retract whatever comments he has made. He can be stubborn at some time but i have a deep feeling and believe that Datuk Misbun will play some part in advising him.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, if he has a lawyer, by which time he should now, his lawyer would advise the same too. If it comes before the courts, it's not something he can win. Even if in the court of public opinion.

15. supersmasher24

supersmasher24 Regular Member

I think razif just wants to prolong his 2 seconds of fame

16. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

Well.... this came out in one of the newspapers in Malaysia today.... :whistles:

[​IMG]

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Glad he saw the light... probably with his brother's prodding and lawyer's advice. How big a notice was it in the paper?

18. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Former badminton great Razif Sidek has made a public apology to world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei for making baseless accusations over the Penangite’s doping issue.

Yesterday, Razif placed an advertisement in The Star – apologising and retracting an earlier statement he had made to a local Malay newspaper.

In the vernacular newspaper report, which appeared on Nov 9, Razif is alleged to have said that Chong Wei had been taking drugs intentionally – and for a long time.

That led to a visibly upset Chong Wei serving Razif with a lawyer’s letter.

In the advertisement, Razif stated: “I admit and acknowledge that these statements and the allegations and aspersions cast therein against Datuk Lee Chong Wei are false and completely without basis.

“I unreservedly and wholeheartedly apologise to Datuk Lee Chong Wei for any damage, distress and/or embarrassment caused to him by my statements which had impugned his integrity and honesty.

“I undertake and state herein that I will not make any further statements or allegations against Datuk Lee Chong Wei that are baseless and malicious.”

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Bad...for-accusations-over-Chong-Weis-doping-issue/

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I was wondering about that picture of Razif and Chong Wei. Was that taken recently or a long time ago?

20. shooting stroke

Indeed. As the Sideks brothers are extremely close to Dato' LCW especially Datuk Misbun and Rashid, what Razif did was wise especially for the prosperity of friendship between them and for the Sideks and Dato' LCW reputation in general.