Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Not so sure about the prize money. The association takes a substantial cut, but I once heard it was a third - 66% wouldn't count as keeping 'hardly any'. Still, LCW has been into the sport for a long time, and didn't earn big bucks until (kind of) recently, probably 2008/2009, yet he spent years and years training many hours a day. That he gets to enjoy the benefits now is really not an issue for me. I still like seeing him play, even more so now that he has some confidence and shows off a little at times - makes the game more interesting! While his opponents won't appreciate it, it certainly entertains me, and that's what sports is about, really.

2. mrinalini

mrinalini Regular Member

Student
    I had no idea the association only took a third (maybe someone who's really in the know can make a definite clarification?) - I was under the impression that it was much, much more based on what I've heard it's like in other sports. If the Chinese badminton players get to keep 66%, I'm glad - it often seems like they really give their all when it comes to winning (that is, when there's none of all this playing to lose and intentional walkovers), and all this while I've been thinking, what a shame, all that getting put through the wringer and they don't even get to enjoy the fruits of their labour!

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    when he spend some time to attend some event/function with the Blue
    he will get more:p

4. DStyle

DStyle Regular Member

IT
    I wonder what are the rest of the squad doing. LCW is really carrying the burden now, the only M'sian in top form. It is said by LCW that he worries about Thomas Cup qualification. If this continues, M'sia can kiss this national sport goodbye.

5. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Dato is frustrated that he is the only savior of MAS badminton (I agree that is so true), and that he wants the others to pick up the slack, sure he worries about the state of MAS badminton and voiced out now. Why doesn't he speak up and blast those nutcase (NCC, Kenny, Nadzmi) who were running BAM into the ground and squandered the funding concentrating on Dato and TBH/KKK, and pay no attention to the junior players, no backup plan at all.
    Now that TBH/KKK can be put to pasture and Dato is entering 'senior citizen' age in pro-badminton life, BAM starts to send out the other MD and MS players to play, isn't that too late for these chaps. Sure LCW and TBH/KKK are talented, but because BAM used up the funding to develop them that they get to gain those experiences at the expense of the other players, talk about double standard, when you are so freaking spoiled, it is easy to blame others, and those nutcase get off scotch-free, and not a single word was said to blame them. MAS Boleh!!

6. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

i think LCW is better go retirement and start a coach career to help up his juniors just like Xia Xuanze did...

7. DStyle

DStyle Regular Member

IT
    Not so soon. He can still play. Maybe after the Olympics.

8. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Xia xuan Ze can retired ,due to Lin dan , Chen Jin , Du Peng yu and Chen Long to take over.

Lee Chong Wei , nobody to take over him!

9. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

2014 will be a year to forget for LCW coz he won't retain his 6 SS titles. It's the end of LCW's era and the beginning of CL's :crying:

10. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-

Don't think so, Super series is not important for lcw anymore, he will only go all out for major title. Before Olympics how many encounters has lcw lost to CL ???But when Olympics came , lcw pawned CL like a kid. Obviously,he is holding back. We shall see again when it comes to wordchampionship. I believe LCW will crown.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    prize money is just a small part of his earnings. yes, those US$292k is nice, even after discount. but look at how he spends, brand new super cars regularly, just those he cannot cover by prize money alone. fact is that he is (or his brother, as i was told) is a great businessman. using his fame to his full advantage, he has investments and also lots of advertising deals. big advertising banner of him are everywhere in Malaysia. prize money is just a drop in the bucket.

12. swunk

swunk Regular Member

it will be really funny if he loses again to CL this week in his home event - Malaysia open.

13. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    I wont be surprised if he lost to CL in MAS OPEN. Nothing for him to proved already.

14. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    A tiny bird is telling me that CL may be ousted by his bogey player TS and
    LCW will again destroy TS in the final and good money again for the world no 1.
    Badminton is a strange sport sometimes...

15. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    The prize money is minor and only what is published to feed public consumption...I also said 'plenty more side $$' from product ambassadors, BAM bonus, book deal, and private connections/business, and the amount is huge.
    I don't think anyone would dispute LCW earns his fortune on merit and hardwork, he rightfully deserves it. He happens to play for the right country that the wanting to win to save and justify those stooges and yawning coaches job resulted in LCW reaping the priviledges and good fortune that came his way. How many fellow Malaysian can pick up the phone and dial the PM's wife? That is connection and power at the highest level.
    My point is this is not the badminton played by the Tan Aik Huangs and Punch of yesteryears that those chaps played for pride and nation, but today MAS fans are so into who beat the sh*t out of who.
    This is 21st century PRO-badminton, huge funding for BAM stooges to mispend/mismanage and big USD money to dish out for LCW, coaches and management. LCW wins SS, jobs are safe and the circus goes on. Fans including my fellow Malaysians are so into whether LCW can beat CL or the entire CHN team, today it is all about reaping as much $$$ before sunset and call it a day. The opportunity and pot of gold is all there, grab them before time runs out and the cupboard is bare.
    For LCW to being frustrated with his fellow teammates for not playing up to his level and MAS fans alike mocking Hoon for being fatty, etc. that is misguided, those players don't have the same opportunity as LCW. Only when LCW is aging and TBH/KKK are hopeless, then the other players are given the opportunity.
    I have posted many times, that those players who play pro-baddy and go nowhere, unless they come from a well todo family, what other job prospect do they have and how are they gonna retire when they are no longer welcome at BAM.

16. DStyle

DStyle Regular Member

IT
    I was watching recent Korean SS and Rashid didn't even do much to help LCW. I mean, does LCW need a coach to tell him what to do at his level? I guess no. I look at other opponents' coaches, they gave instructions and advise almost the full length of time. Maybe, LCW wants someone to accompany him.

17. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Not that Rashid not doing much to help LCW but that dude is completely clue out, dunno what to say, cannot teach lah, he was on courtside watching the game just like the spectators or you and me on Live TV. But I say Rashid is 'tersangat pandai', almost near genious level, not as a coach but smart enough that when Tengku/TAM appoint him to coach the level B MS players and not LCW, he rather resign than to take up that impossible task as he knows that is a suicide mission, and he will lose LCW and the golden rice bowl. So stay with LCW, LCW wins SS and Rashid got credit as coach and bonus US$...pandai lah.

18. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    And as long as LCW can play and win $$$, he will not retire.
    And I don't think LCW is frustrated at all that his team mates are clowns and
    failing as this make him continuously important to Bam and he can continue
    to milk them.
    Having said that, LCW deserved what ever he can milk from the game
    and Bam for his hard work and dedication - his one smart dude cos he
    knows his limitation these days and he will not kill himself to beat CL and
    jeorpadise his playing health and longetivity.
    He used to be just a Badminton player, today he is a business minded
    professional player and businessman.

19. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    It is getting scarier every time I read your post now...we are thinking alike, agree with all you post here.
    Are you sure we are not related, like my long lost bro':D
    It is business first milking the cow as long as the cow is still there producing milk....glorifying the nation and drapping the flag on the shoulder on the podium ahem is shownmanship and bring in even more ringgit as it appease the politicians, that is second thought;)

#9719 OneToughBirdie, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  20. indrg

indrg Regular Member

bogeyman TS = Tommy Sugiarto?