Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

[h=3]Wednesday January 11, 2012[/h] [h=1]10 New Year questions[/h] [h=2]Question Time
    By P. GUNASEGARAM[/h]
    Here’s a list of resolutions meant to be taken with a pinch or more of salt, and which hopefully will titillate the mind at least a wee bit and provide some food for thought.
    THE new year is a time for making resolutions, yes, but it is also when we wonder about what may be in store for us — a time for reviewing, reflecting and ruminating before reacting.
    My 10 new year questions are split equally between those of national relevance and those on the personal plane. The personal ones may reflect some of the questions you have for yourself as well or you may want to add to or subtract from this list.
    I have attempted to answer them as best as I can and, of course, from my own personal view- point, which I’m pretty sure will, in many cases, be quite different from yours. But that’s as it should be.
    And so, here’s the list of 10 and my answers, meant to be taken with a pinch or more of salt depending on your taste and temperament. I hope that it titillates the mind at least a wee bit and provides some food for thought.

5. Will we get an Olympic gold? We came tantalisingly close before but it will most likely continue to elude us. If squash were one of the games (it is not), I will bet on our best sportsperson ever — Nicol David — to bring home the spoils.

But Lee Chong Wei, although rated number one in the badminton world, does not seem likely to be able to rise to the occasion. The Chinese appear too strong for him in the most important tournaments.

2. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Congratulation LCW you make trip to KL worth with that SF match..............well done !

Proud of you !!

3. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

So he has beat both his challengers in the Olympic Games in two straight weeks. One is fatigued and didn't display much urgency halfway through the rubber, while the other came out roaring after a bad start but was tamed by LCW!

4. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

it was not a bad start, its was well plan to stay fresh especially to challenge LCW in MO........but failed !!

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    No sweat at all

16 January 2012 | Last updated at 08:21AM

By K.M. BOOPATHY & AJITPAL SINGH

Chong Wei strolls past Tago to clinch back-to-back titles and is RM329,000 richer Lee Chong Wei celebrates with his fans after beating Japan’s Kenichi Tago in the Maybank Malaysia Open final at Putra Stadium yesterday. Pic by Yazit Razali

Taiwan’s Fang Chieh Min and Lee Sheng Mu (right) scream in delight after winning the men’s doubles final at Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil yesterday. Pic by Hasan Ismail
    1 / 2

LEE Chong Wei completed two glorious weeks of badminton by adding a record equalling eighth men's singles crown in front of his fans in the Maybank Malaysia Open at Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil yesterday.

Chong Wei hardly showed any tiredness after a hard-fought semi-final win over younger rival Chen Long of China on Saturday as he steamrolled Kenichi Tago of Japan 21-6, 21-13 in 37 minutes for his easiest Malaysia Open title.

The late Wong Peng Soon had won eight titles when the tournament was known as Malaya Open, and Chong Wei has already set his sights on making it nine next year.

Tago was on the backfoot from early in the match and looked overwhelmed by an almost capacity crowd of close to 13,000. He could do little to avoid his 11th straight loss to Chong Wei.

Chong Wei had begun the year by toppling his nemesis Lin Dan of China in the Korea Open final two Sundays ago and then rolled into Kuala Lumpur to tame another rival in the form of Chen Long in the last four.

Yesterday's final was a formality for the 30-year-old World No 1.

The Malaysian has now pocketed a total of US$105,000 (RM329,000) in prize money for two weeks' work. Yesterday's win fetched him US$30,000 (RM94,900).

The Korea Open title was worth US$75,000.

Chong Wei described this as his best start to a year and an ideal way to celebrate Chinese New Year next week.

"This is the best start for me as I have won back-to-back titles. I have also managed to win my eighth Malaysia Open crown. I am very happy and this has lifted my spirit to do better in 2012," said Chong Wei.

(He said he is prepared to capture Malaysia's first Olympic gold medal in London and he will forgo some tournaments to prepare for this but will play in the Thomas Cup and the All-England. I like to see he is now mentally prepared and is confident to make his announcement.)

"I also have to thank the spectators. This is the biggest crowd I have witnessed in the event and this probably rattled Kenichi. The home ground advantage also played a part."

He added: "I had played 14 international events last year and was mentally tired towards the end and lost focus. However, I wanted to have a fresh start in the Korea Open and the win over Lin Dan motivated me to overcome the pain barrier.

"I am now really motivated to do even better but I also need to cut down on my tournaments to focus on a better preparation. Lin Dan and Chen Long may have lost but they will be back with new tactics, so I must be prepared. I also need to do more."

Tago conceded that Chong Wei was just too good yesterday and the walkover received from China's Chen Jin in Saturday's semi-final didn't help his cause, the slightest.

"I was not too worried about the crowd as I had already had an idea how it was going to be when Chong Wei played Chen Long yesterday (Saturday). The walkover didn't do much good," said Tago.

"I couldn't get the warm-up I needed and I just couldn't get going in the final. I psyched myself up to think that the crowd was actually cheering for me but I couldn't play well."

The Japanese added: "I had lost 10 times to Chong Wei and wanted to beat him (yesterday) but he was still the better player and performed well."

Chong Wei's next assignment is the Thomas Cup qualifying rounds in Macau on Feb 14-19 where he wants to contribute a point in every match in order to help Malaysia qualify for the final rounds in Wuhan, China, in May. He will play in the All England in March and India Open in April and use the break to focus on his training.

Read more: No sweat at all - Badminton - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/sports/badminton/no-sweat-at-all-1.32967#ixzz1jat6pCjb

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: Lee eyes Olympics after Malaysia win

Posted: 15 January 2012 1838 hrs

KUALA LUMPUR: World number one Lee Chong Wei equalled a badminton legend's record of eight Malaysia Open titles Sunday, trouncing his opponent in the final and declaring he had his sights set on Olympic gold.

The Malaysian emulated compatriot Wong Peng Soon's record of winning eight men's singles titles with a comprehensive 21-6, 21-13 victory over Japan's Kenichi Tago.

"It feels great to have equalled a legend's record and now I have set my sights on winning the country's first Olympic gold medal," said Lee, who was a runner-up at the Beijing Olympics four years ago.

Lee's previous Malaysia Open titles came in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and last year while Wong's eight wins were in 1940, 1941, 1947, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952 and 1953.

"I will now cut down my commitments and focus on the Olympics. For sure I will play in the Thomas Cup and the All England as they are the very important tournaments to me and the country," he added.

"The win is a good Chinese New Year present for me and I will now enjoy a short break with my family before resuming training."

Asked if he will now seek to break Wong's record, Lee said "it would be nice to get nine titles but for now, the focus is on the Olympics."

The Malaysian was streets ahead of Tago, who struggled with Lee's pace and shot selection. The Japanese shuttler also appeared intimidated by the capacity crowd who rocked the Putra Stadium for hours before the match.

Meanwhile, Denmark's Christinna Pedersen-Kamilla Rytter-Juhl captured their first Superseries title together when they defeated South Korea's Ha Jung-Eun/Kim Min-Jung 21-19, 21-18 in a keenly contested match-up.

The Danes, who are accomplished mixed doubles players, will move up the world rankings after this win and give a boost to their hopes of qualifying for the Olympics.

In the men's doubles, Taipei's Fang Chieh-Min/Lee Sheng-Mu defeated South Korea's Cho Gun-Woo/Shin Baek-Choel (KOR) 16-21, 21-16, 21-16 to win the third Superseries title of their careers but their first in almost two years.

World champions Wang Yihan and Zhang Nan-Zhao Yunlei won the women's singles and doubles titles.

Wang, who lost in the final last year, defeated teammate Wang Xin in straight sets, 21-19, 21-11.

"It is good to finally win my first title in Malaysia," she said.

-AFP/ac

Lee Chong Wei celebrates with his trophy and his gold medal after defeating Kenichi Tago in the men's single final of the Malaysia Open Badminton Superseries. (AFP PHOTO / Saeed Khan)

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Ah Jit and James to add crucial final touches

The Star online
    Sunday January 15, 2012

ONE will provide the scientific input while the other will lend his expertise to the training programme.

Together, Wong Ah Jit and Datuk James Selvaraj will add the crucial final touches in the next six months to turn the national badminton team’s Olympic campaign into a successful one.

On Friday, the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) named a three-man High Performance Team to look into the flaws in the Olympic-bound team’s preparation and make the necessary changes. The other member of the team is Ng Chin Chai, who is also the BAM secretary and chairman of the coaching and training committee. He is also the team manager for the Olympics.

Ah Jit, who is currently with the National Sports Institute (NSI), said he would not change for the sake of changing.

“I will focus on areas where sports science is involved in the training process. This is an additional support for the players,” said Ah Jit.

”We can’t make major changes because the Olympic Games are just a few months away. We are here to give them the final push.”

James, who will continue with his role to monitor the coaches and players as far as the sports specifics are concerned, said his immediate task was reviving Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong’s confidence ahead of the London Games.

“My strength is in my badminton knowledge and I will continue to work closely with the coaches to rectify the players’ weaknesses,” said James, who was appointed as the high performance director in September, 2010. “Lee Chong Wei knows what to do and, for now, we will help him to remain focused and stay injury free,” said James.

“I’m more worried about Kien Keat-Boon Heong. The team will have to decide on what to add or substract from their game. We will have to arrest their decline and work on getting them back to their best. The priority is to help them regain their confidence.”

Asked whether there was a need to change the current training programme, James said he would have to discuss it with the team first.

8. Zabee

Zabee Regular Member

Music Related
    congrulatultions to Datuk once again ...

9. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Yes, congratulations to datuk lee for winning the mas open for the 8th time.. Something to be proud of..
    here are some photos..
    View attachment 114901
    and yeah, he gets the medal and the trophy as well..

View attachment 114902
    Both looking very happy on the podium.

View attachment 114903
    the most richest sportsmen in malaysia currently.

10. george@chongwei

11. george@chongwei

INterview video..
    This guy wants to go for a record breaking ninth time next year;)
    [video]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150495360913178[/video]

12. george@chongwei

Hello, the one on the left must be tired after smiling too much.
    LCW in appreciation night.
    View attachment 114905

13. george@chongwei

Datuk lee chong wei's autobiography will be officially launched 2moro. But it was specially on sale in the stadium on SUNDAY. In less than 2 hours, all the books already sold out.:eek: Luckily i manage to get my hands on the english version of this book that day.
    More info on the launching here.
    View attachment 114906

14. george@chongwei

Dare To Be A Champion 《败者为王》 LEE CHONG WEI book

Already reading half way...:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i envy u!!!

did u get it autograph by LCW himself?

16. george@chongwei

Just a simple chop with his signature on.

17. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Is the book out on the usual bookstores in KL?

18. george@chongwei

After WEDNESDAY, means after 2moro i heard.. good luck for your finding.

19. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Thanks. I will buy a copy to show my appreciation for all he has achieved for MY.

20. kennee

kennee Regular Member

Pro Badminton Daydreamer