LD vs LCW

Discussion in 'Korea Open / Hong Kong Open 2006' started by quik_silver, Sep 3, 2006.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Badminton: Li Mao: Chong Wei closing in on Lin Dan
    06 Sep 2006
    K. M . Boopathy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AS far as national singles coach Li Mao is concerned, World No 2 Lin Dan of China is the best player and Lee Chong Wei still remains in the chasing pack despite showing rapid progress this year.

Li Mao picked Lin Dan, who will regain the World No 1 ranking tomorrow from Chong Wei after winning the Hong Kong Open on Saturday, to win the World Championships in Madrid on Sept 18-24.

While not taking credit away from Chong Wei, the coach said his charge must continue to work hard to keep up with Lin Dan.

Li Mao has placed Chong Wei alongside China’s trio of Bao Chunlai (ranked fourth), Chen Jin (fifth) and Chen Hong (sixth), Danish duo Peter Gade Christensen (third) and Kenneth Jonassen (eighth) and South Korean Lee Hyun Il (seventh) in the chasing pack.

"Chong Wei has improved tremendously and is closing the gap on Lin Dan. I consider Lin Dan as the undisputed number one at the moment and Chong Wei is still in the second group," said Li Mao in Bukit Jalil yesterday.

"Lin Dan is the player to beat in Madrid and Chong Wei must continue battling hard to achieve a good result.

"The Hong Kong Open has also helped Chong Wei regain his confidence and I’m happy with his progress. He is where I want him to be heading towards the World Championships.

"I do not want to predict anything but I can give an assurance that Chong Wei will give his very best."

Chong Wei suffered a minor setback when he lost in the second round of the Thailand Open in August and the recent Korea Open, which was supposed to be his last tune-up event before the World Championships.

Chong Wei then made a last-minute decision to compete in the Hong Kong Open last week to fine-tune his preparations for Madrid.

The move proved fruitful as Chong Wei reached the final after beating two of his main rivals — Hyun Il in the quarter-finals and Chen Jin in the semi-finals — before bowing out to in-form Lin Dan in the final.

It was Chong Wei’s sixth defeat in eight matches to the Chinese ace but his performance indicated that the World Championship could just turn out to be a two-way race.

Li Mao, however, feels Lin Dan is not the only worry for Chong Wei. There is also China’s two-time world junior champion Chen Jin, 21.

"Chen Jin is dangerous. He has improved a lot and we must not forget it. There are also other good players, and let’s not forget Taufik Hidayat," added Li Mao.

"Chong Wei could meet Taufik (ranked 35th) early and he has to fight all the way."

However, Chong Wei’s target is to end his losing streak to Lin Dan outside Malaysia. Li Mao may have planned something for Chong Wei.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Indra, not even Li Mao takes TH seriously if you read what he says at the beginning:

"Li Mao has placed Chong Wei alongside China’s trio of Bao Chunlai (ranked fourth), Chen Jin (fifth) and Chen Hong (sixth), Danish duo Peter Gade Christensen (third) and Kenneth Jonassen (eighth) and South Korean Lee Hyun Il (seventh) in the chasing pack."

TH's name is omitted from the above. Although Li Mao tries to correct himself (maybe by being polite) when he added later:

"...let’s not forget Taufik Hidayat," added Li Mao.

it is clear that TH is now a forgotten man and may not even make it as defending champion at the forthcoming Madrid WC in view of his recent 'infamous' tirade during the HK Open.

But if TH is given another chance, would he be able to make amends?

#42 Loh, Sep 6, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

good eyes loh, i notice that too when i first read it but didn't want to comment it as i have wrote alot on taufik already;)

4. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    TH is becoming a story in badminton after the incident in HKO? Many factors in HKO is from the line judgments, I was surprised it even happened in the finals with LCW and LD. I thought line judgements would improve after the SF .. :S Guess not?

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

sideline judge position is a tough job.
    1. it's long line to cover
    2. in SF and up, u sit far behind the court, behind the advertisement billboard. To see the shuttle clearly near the post area can be difficult on very close call. Eg. LD vs kenneth J, second game, KJ was actually closer seeing where the shuttle land than the linejudge. I see that one as IN too, on the line.

6. indra

indra Regular Member

Loh:

Li Mao was VERY, VERY wrong!!!

He did not take the event status and head-to-head psychological condition of the player into consideration in making his analysis. Remember what happened at the Olympic and last year WC, TH was UNDERESTIMATED....then all of a sudden, he messed up the forcasted scenario.

He (Li Mao) failed to understand Taufik's unpredictable characters ; He TENDS to be careless when he is on top, BUT he HATES to be underestimated...When TH feels that he is UNDERESTIMATED, we all will see his real and unstoppable Taufik,:) .

I personally like this current condition...in which most players and coaches doubt his ability, in which Taufik feels that he is BEING cornered and underestimated...This condition serves good fuel for Taufik to "burn" all his challengers in the WC, which is only 2 weeks away....I guess Taufik's hand is "itchy" already to show the world and prove that he is actually the man to beat .

TH is very confident that he can handle LD and LCW...he will be in form in 2 weeks time....ANyhow, the more "negative" statements on TH, the better for TH as they will encourage and motivate TH to refute those "negative" statements....:)

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Yes, the whole chinese MS team mentally bombed in athen olympic. LD was white cold in 05 WC. I doubt LD is a 3 time bomber. Plus this time, china has chen jin which he hasn't yet shown any stage fright after graduating from his world jr champ status.

8. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper
    Well I certainly hope Taufik can rise to the occasion and defend his WC title. Although I do not like his laziness/carelessness attitudes to try (at certain times) & his arrogant/childish ways, his wonderful skills & techniques impress me. But To be honest, Taufik hasn't shown any good form lately and doesn't seem to be motivated/inspired which is why I am very doubtful he'll be able to do so.

But say, what if he does not win the title again, Indra? I really hope you'll just accept the fact that Taufik has lost his fire and stop giving excuses and start being realistic.

9. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

I think this BAD BOY would turn Wonder BOY in this year WC, if not, he surely would return in the DOHA ASIAN GAME as he personally promised! Lets wait and see......:D

10. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    But actually after TH performance in TC in early May, I donot think many coaches would have "overestimate" him in all the Opens he has participated except IO which he won as expected. The rest of the tournament, he did not really live up to his own standard or your theory of thriving on being an underdog.

As I said in my earlier post, for player to excel in such major event, one has to improve gradually and hope to peak at the right moment. TH is rather flat at this moment and one wonder how he could peak in 2 weeks time when there are no more competitive matches that he could participate.

On the other hand, I also worry about LCW whether he has overstepped the curve but participating in too many tournaments and start lossing steam when the WC commence!

11. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Well...i believe that all the players will use all their ability to defeat their opponents..Like what indra said,anything is unpredicable before the WC...We do noe what TH planning or doing...So,lets don't underestimate him...As i say,everybody stand an equally chance and it depends on how you use it...

12. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    i'm suspicious that indra is PBSI's official :)

13. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

lol, I thought you were Taufik Hidayat himself :D

14. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

From what i read in malaysian newspapers, i don't think any of the coaches have ruled out Taufik's ability of winning the WC.

15. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

or a relative of taufik!

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    ANyhow, the more "negative" statements on TH, the better for TH as they will encourage and motivate TH to refute those "negative" statements....

Well I tend to agree with you that TH is now all "fired up" and will fight to the last to regain his former glory. This will provide the spectacular fireworks at the forthcoming WC and can only add more excitement for everybody.

Of course provided that extra special care be taken in selecting the line and service judges whenever TH is involved. Otherwise another fiasco may erupt again and TH may stage yet another walkout with a stronger set of 'unphotographical' hand gestures.

My only fear is whether he is allowed to compete and how his opponents will handle him. TH could really drive his opponents nuts and with this added "mental torture" playing in their minds, his opponents will be distracted. This makes for an easier kill by TH. ...hahaha

And Indra and all TH fans (wonder whose side Taufikist will be on this time)will be laughing in their chairs! ...hahahahahaha...

17. Wildstone

Wildstone Regular Member

Who cares. It is interesthing that he did the walk out thing once or twice, but if he keeps doing that, it's his problem anyway. The result would be just letting his opponent win the match and advance to the next stage. I dare him to keep doing the walk out if he likes, he is not going to get anything out of it. Players are just have to deal with bad line calls occationally, that is just part of the game.

18. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    No one is actually underestimating TH. They are just putting things into perspective afer seeing the performance of the players which played in the recent tournaments. Don't forget that in a tournament such as WC.. ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN.

19. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    TH hasn't been playing very well ever since last year, as I recall... With my imgination, I think TH thinks he can beat LD anyday (which is not true.) I think it's very doubtful for TH to win WC in Madrid this year, his game plays are really sloppy. And I am not too impress with it.

Also, ants may be right about the point where anything can happen in WC. Who knows. :p

I am going for LCW this year.

quik

20. donchang

donchang Regular Member

LCW Vs Lin Dan Game

Hey guy!! I have been watching the game between the 2 of them over a few time. The game is watch is the All England Semi 2006 / Malaysia Open 2006 / Hong Kong Open 2006 and all this show seem like that LCW can get point by attacking Lin Dan especially smashing.Do u guys agree? And also notice that LCW lose a lots of point when he lift the shuttle to Lin Dan right hand side as the over head smash of Lin Dan is very powerful and many times that LCW get unexpected smashing for the left hander on there. And also notice that Lin Dan is not patient when coming to rally point. And also prove that the net play of LCW is better than Lin Dan.. So is there any more weak point of Lin Dan u guys notice between the 2 of them? Hope that this round will be another good show between the 2 player.. Its was very excited to watch the 2 of them playing each other..