LCW Interview

Discussion in 'World Championships 2006' started by Eurasian =--(O), Sep 25, 2006.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I would think his mother tongue is a Chinese dialect because he is Chinese. His Bahasa Malaysia would be as good as his Chinese dialect, given his age. Only the much older Malaysians, who did not go through the new education system which uses Bahasa Malaysia as the medium of instruction, are not half as good in Bahasa Malaysia.

2. noise

noise Regular Member

his first language should be mandarin or hokkien (chinese dialect)....

3. noise

noise Regular Member

actually, as a malaysian chinese who went through the chinese medium school, our bahasa malaysia is not as good as our chinese....i believe that's the case for lcw too...

4. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Actually now most Malaysian can speak fluent and good English...As for Bahasa Malaysia,its depend..Some peoples can speak well while some cannot...If you are origin from the Malay school from small,then you bahasa Malaysia will be better..Ask for the chinese in Mas,most can speak English well and a little bit of Bahasa...

5. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    In Malaysia, the national language is Bahasa Malaysia.

As for a Malaysian Malay, the mother tongue would be Bahasa Malaysia.

As for a Malaysian Chinese, the mother tongue would be Mandarin, Cantonese or some other dialects like hokkien, hakka, teochew, etc.

Back to LCW's interview, i reckon that English is not his first language. From the way he speaks, he translates every word from the chinese into English. That's why his English was gramatically wrong cause in Chinese, there isn't such a thing like past or present tense.

6. hollywood_t

hollywood_t Regular Member

His English is ok,

Reminds me a bit of my coach who is also from Malaysia. Grammar is not so good, but even on the spot u could understand him. I bet in a casual setting he would be better.

Hey maybe once he's finished his career he can come to Canada and help boost our game! :rolleyes:

Derek

7. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

English is his third language so it's considered good when it is comprehensible. What's your third language standard , if any? I bet it would be grammatically poor.

8. hollywood_t

hollywood_t Regular Member

I agree. I think LCW just needs more practice he sounds a lot like me trying to speak French. My Engllish is strongest, Chinese 2nd, French 3rd. Even though I took it in school I dont' have very good grasp of it spoken wise. Same for LCW...

He's not that much worse than some of my friends from HK when they first came to Canada and HK was a former British Colony too.

If he has a chance to live in an Enlish speaking environement for 1 yr he would be pretty fluent.

Btw does he speak Cantonese as well or more Hokkien background?

Derek

9. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    i think most malaysian chinese especially those staying in Kuala Lumpur would speak cantonese but maybe with a different slang.

10. noise

noise Regular Member

But LCW is from Penang..not kl..

11. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

yeah, u r talking about me, who is studying in a chinese private independent high school, a result of hardwork from our grandpa n grandma, but my Bahasa Melayu sounds okay

12. deROSE

deROSE Regular Member

student
    After seeing lcw's interview at the wc,i'd say it's not that bad and he has improved.I can still recall him getting interviewed either last yer or the year before after winning the malaysian open.At that time,he was sort of stuttering and he cud only utter a few english words wen interviewed and despite the fact, he still looked pretty confident.(Kudos to him for that).I think it's just a matter of practice.Yet again ,though he isn't that fluent in speaking english..at least he can speak three languages rite ??=)