LCW In WC 2007

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by Blurry D, Aug 16, 2007.

1. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

That's what I mean by lousy MAS fans.The time when LCW needs support most,the fans stay silent.That's what happened in his match against TH in ABC07.When he is down, fans should rally behind him by cheering louder to energise him. TH's INA supporters would cheer for him, in a regular manner, regardless of his play.

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

but sometimes if the fans cheer, the player are too excited like yesterday KKK/TBH match, the fans cheer so loud and MAS player are not too concentrate on the game and get distracted but anyway KKK/TBH won the match

3. hsengsping

hsengsping Regular Member

I am sure that YKH is no angel. But he needs to keep out of this. I sometimes say to my kids "must get no 1 in class and school" etc maybe not ideal on my part but they handle it even at their level.

LCW did not handle it well. To say that is the main/only reason he lost isn't to my mind credible and if it is truly the case, it just belittles him as a sportman. MALAYSIA wants him to win. That's the real pressure not YKH yapping (sorry pun not intended) on about him winning from a distance (he is not directly coaching him!)

There are certain things even if you considered them true better to be left unsaid and certainly saying them to the mass media compounds the problem. Timing and the right ears are important. This outburst is not good with the competition ongoing. LCW is an important member of the team sure - but MAS team is still in the thick of the competition and could do without this distraction. Consider Sportmanship.

4. KlasseE

KlasseE Regular Member

I support LCW in court but his is really childish.
    Previously he blamed LYB for saying something to annoy his game, then took accuse for quit of LiMao, now the failure due to pressure from YKH, who will be the next to blame for ??? At least he must keep silence like TH or say something logical like PG after failure.

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

lee chong wei oh lee chong wei.........poor chong wei get blame everytime,.... but at least he is the only sole survivor who carries MAS challenge in MS always in international tournament or SS

6. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

Well, let BAM and LCW learn from this...don't jump to conclusion merely based on a match...cheers

7. ycw77

ycw77 Regular Member

The problem is we having very limited player to represent Malaysia, or should I say no new potential. Imagine if our country got lot of players in queue awaiting to be chosen to represent Malaysia (like China), you think a player dare to say "my coach put a lot of pressure on me"?

Look at how LYB warn his players. As a pro player, you will not grown if you do not know how to 'manipulate' the pressure. Even shouting from the fans can be a pressure to player, depends on how the player gonna cope with it.

8. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    LCW would play better being #2 in HH position with MAS fans expected close to nothing from HH, not as #1 with all these high expectations...as I said time and time again, when less is expected from CW, he performed remarkably. When WC starts, all these talks of CW winning it all and kick CHn butt, BWF might as well Fed-ex the damn gold medal to him. I am sure you and me and all others differ one way or another, we are not mirror image...take my son for instance, he won Karate Open many times and got his black belt when he was 14. If I nag him during tournaments, he would get piss off and get mad at me, leave him alone and find the right moment to advise him and let him focus, let him sat down in a quiet corner with his walkman before the fight, and he did very well. Some people basked in the limelight, hogging the glory, some like it quiet and leave them alone. Perhaps, LCW is one of them, TH is the opposite attracting controversy and in the spotlights, LD gotta be tough as heck with all his teammates looking to unseat him and being the best in the world but not every one is LD...True, there is no excuse for losing, one should come to play professional sport prepared, CW lost because Sony played better on that night, no question at all...CW being a humble and quiet person, lost his mental control and expressed his thoughts before the camera, I wonder what we would do in a similar situation when you prepared and trained like hell, to see your dream fall apart and something is bothering you all along, would you explode differently. Some people may sit down and bring a tear to their eyes losing an opportunity to win a gold for his daughter, some may voice his frustration out loud before the camera, some blame lack of sleep having played back to back games...easy for armchair quarterback fans like us to understand and criticize the players...I feel sad for LCW and for MAS, a great guy and I simply admire him for his humble self. A golden opportunity lost. Another person I admire is CJ, class act and carry a smile even when he lost.

9. -wei-

-wei- Regular Member

I lost in a game of tennis today. I blame my hamster, he kept on begging me for food this morning. Give me too much pressure. I will have a word with my mum about my hamster tonight. Something has to be done if I am to play anymore tennis in the future. ;)

10. KlasseE

KlasseE Regular Member

You get the point, in fact pressure was only 1 of 2 factors he lost to Sony. The main reason was as what LYB (I don't like him but it is fact) said, XXF (LCW) didn't prepare well as she (he) under estimated her (his) opponent.

11. dunker

dunker Regular Member

Veterinarian
    Yep, somtimes we forget that we are here behind a PC screen taping away, getting a pot belly with a can of beer at our side stating what we think is best...while ppl like CJ, LCW, TH and PG work their butts off. We drink beer while they give blood, swet and tears.

No one steps into court wanting to lose, but the nature of the game dictates that there only be one champion. Losing is part of the game, there is nothing wrong with that. But i fear things will go very wrong in Malaysian badminton if YKH reacts negatively to LCW remarks. Being a big fan of LCW, i was not sad for the fact he lost but the manner he handled himself after the loss. Such statements to the public is never a good idea.

12. dunker

dunker Regular Member

Veterinarian

Get a CAT, and see if the hamster still wants food!!:D:D:D:p:p

13. ycw77

ycw77 Regular Member

I am totally agree with that.

14. KlasseE

KlasseE Regular Member

There will only be 5 champions survive on Aug 18th.
    From now on till then there will be 35 victims, if every loser act like LCW for some similar absurd reasons, then you can imagine how serious it is....

15. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

So his world come crashing down. He had to let go. There was too much emotion pent up. No one to talk to about his feelings.

He felt deserted by YKH who did not agree to him joining Misbun. When he made that decision, he was down (shot down by his own failures and emotion of losing a coach in Li Mao). Everything which was working suddenly looked grim. He remembered the memories of playing under his first mentor, Misbun and desperately wanted to relive those glorious days when Misbun guided him to stardom, from a young punk to a recognisable figure in badminton.

When the idea was not entertained, he sought help from Ganga Rao to get what he wanted, desperation to revive his form was on his mind. When the issure was forced he found people were not happy. Little things about YKH probably creeped in and he felt the insincerity of his talk with YKH. What can you expect if you go over the person's authority to seek your own peace of mind.

Being not strong minded, the negativity of the head coach towards him hit home -- he built images of YKH hating him and probably the other official that he mentioned too. Life was turning up training with a lot on the mind.

On that day when Sony turned on the 'screw', his thoughts were "****, I am in trouble here, maybe they were right after all. Now they will turn against me more'. It had to finally come up, he could not take it anymore. He had to say it ---- and said it he did. Now we all know the trouble.

I sympathise with the guy (not only as a fan) because he is not strong emotionally. Life for Chong Wei was all badminton. He could not cope with the fast changes in his life coz badminton was already going too fast for him.

I hope I can express for LCW everything that I think he felt. But if your mind is to nail him for this failure then we might have to look elsewhere for another great badminton player to win for Malaysia because your negativity will definitely hurt him further.

I am sensitive to what he is going through -- he would not have blurted out if he did not feel emotionally stressed.

Another 2 cents worth.

#155 X Ball, Aug 16, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  16. socko

socko Regular Member

Work
    Former Greadt Eddy Choong Slams Chong Wei's Attitude

Quoted from the Proton WBC website:

THE legendary Datuk Eddy Choong has slammed top Malaysian singles player Lee Chong Wei for blaming others for his shock defeat to Indonesia's Sony Dwi Kuncoro in the third round of the Proton-BWF World Championships at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil on Wednesday.

The Malaysian lost tamely 11-21, 9-21 and in a post-match interview with reporters after the match, said that there were outside factors that contributed to his defeat, including people who were upset of his choice of asking for Misbun Sidek as his coach after Li Mao left in February.

Said Choong: "What is Chong Wei complaining about? I believe that as a player you cannot blame coaches or your teacher for your defeat. When you are on court, it is entirely up to you to perform. The way I saw it, Chong Wei was not really trying hard enough and I was really disappointed as I have very high regard for him. In contrast Roslin Hashim tried really hard against Jin Shen and though he lost, he can hold his head high.

"The scoreline of Chong Wei's match reflected the actual proceedings of the game and it looks like his mind was not really on the game but something else. I don't know what was botrhering him but as a player you cannot bring in your problems on court. Ýou have an opponent on court and you have to focus on beating him and that must be your only objective and top priority.

"Leave all your problems outside the court. It's no point saying sorry to your fans if you don't even give your best. If you do your best, it's easier to forgive you.

"I watched the match on television as I was still in Penang but now that I am here in KL, I would very much like to see him and give him a piece of my mind. I think he blew his chances of a good showing in the World Championships, more so because Chong Wei tends to perform very well at home. I never dreamed he would bow out so early in the championships. Truly I am very disappointed."

The fact is when Li Mao left for China in February, local coach Wong Tat Meng took over coaching Chong Wei for a couple of weeks and it was then that the player requested to be under Misbun. Chief coach Yap Kim Hock was no agreeable but BA of Malaysia secretary Ganga Rao gave the green light and Chong Wei started training under Misbun.

However, since then it is learnt that the relationship between Chong Wei and Yap has been strained and just prior to the World Championships, Yap apparently has been putting a lot of pressure on Chong Wei by making statements in the local media saying that the player is the best bet to end Malaysia's drought of winning gold in the championships.

Chong Wei also complained about this undue pressure and said this was also one of the reasons for his defeat to Sony. "I was under tremendous pressure to win this championship. He (Yap) never really talked to me but he was telling others that I could be champion," bemoaned Chong Wei after his defeat.

But Eddy said this was no excuse. "These kinds of problems can and should be sorted out well before a major event like the World Championships so that the player can focus on the task at hand. Like I said, let me see him and I will give him some sound advice."

Chong Wei, after his dismal exit, could probably do with some advice from one of the best players Malaysia has ever produced.

17. socko

socko Regular Member

Work
    Poor LCW, my 2 cents as follows:

1) If LCW had a problem he should leave it as soon as he stepped into the stadium as Datuk Eddy said.

2) LCW looked really lethargic and his movements were slow. His smashes had no sting to it. To me those are signs that he had other things on his mind other than the game at hand.

3) He shouldn't say these things against the head coach in public, these things should be sorted via the 'proper channels'. The NSC has a mediation service that Roslin used when he had issues with BAM.

Still one thing I don't understand though, if YKH is telling people that LCW can win, doesn't that mean he's proud of the player and that confident that LCW can win? Perhaps that creates pressure, but I thought it would been 'good pressure'? Maybe LCW should have treated it as a confidence builder and not pressure.

In my conclusion, I think NSC should spring for a sports pyschologist all the badminton players in Malaysia :p

18. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

1) Ideally yes and easier said than done.In Eddy's time, maybe he's not the solo great so the pressure is shared. LCW looks like have to shoulder 100% so how can Eddy empathise with him when there's such a big difference in pressure?
    2)His mind's definitely not there but I don't think he did it on purpose in not playing his best. He was just deactivated by a well prepared Sony. XXF would be able to understand. LD would be able to understand (in his WC05? and SO05? losses to TH.) Sometimes the player just freeze and cannot think and play normally.
    3) Agree. Guess the pipe could not contain the pressure so it bursts against its wishes.Yes ,NSC has a mediation service but guess how Roslin got his problem recognised before that? He revealed his frustrations to the media so BAM has to be 100% competent in dealing with his matters. I'm not saying LCW should behave this way but unfortunately sometimes problems are only taken seriously and promptly when taken public. It's sad but true.
    In any case, LCW owes YKH an apology;private, not public.
    Sure, YKH thinks the world of LCW because there's no one close.Check out how many tournaments LCW played in 2006 (Eddy should compare how many tournaments he played yearly in his time) I get the impression LCW slogged non-stop in 2006. It's easy to say he should be able to handle it but of all the badminton professionals, he's probably suffering the greatest pressure.Pressure (or what is stress for normal people) beyond a certain level, turns negative.
    When Eddy talks to LCW,the first thing he should ideally do is to listen to what is bugging him deeply before giving him his piece of mind. LCW. after all has other options. Besides being a possible kindergarten coach, he just wants to return home to his family. He is not the spotlight seeking type.

19. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Very well said...one point to add, there is no CHN playing during Eddy's time, even Rudy can rule supreme during his era.

20. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

And he was playing long rallies then (very much like Roslin's game), and not the fast games today.