Laws of Badminton (Badminton World Federation) (Approved at BWF AGM 15 May 2010)

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by mickey_vun, Jul 22, 2010.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I don't think this is possible because the shuttle is a high drag projectile and the shuttle travel is much longer than the racket-to-net distance.

2. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Yes, that's what I was trying to say. Player A hits the shuttle into the net. Then afterwards, player B's racket touches the net. Player A already faulted, so they lose the point. Player B's action doesn't count as a fault because the point is already over. Right?

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    But lets say:
    Player A hits a drop shot, the shuttle hits the top of the net and lingers tantalizingly..........
    At this time, player B goes to return the drop, and his racquet brushes the net for a moment.....
    Then, the shuttle drops over to player B's side.

Has player B committed a fault?

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

To be precise:

The shuttle is out of play when it hits the net and starts to fall. That's almost the same as what you said, but not quite. ;)

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Many of us do not know when a rally has finished/stopped

I gather that we all know that touching the net is illegal when a rally is continuing. But many of us do not know when a rally has finished/stopped. :):):)

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Heh, next time I play, I'll purposely "accidentally" touch the net after I see the bird fall back on my opponent striker's side after a failed net or drop shot. That would be interesting. :)

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

When the shuttlecock hits the floor, the rally is considered to have ended

But do make sure that the shuttlecock has landed on the floor first. :):):)

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Ah, that's the tricky part!

It is considered out of play as soon as it starts to fall down on their side of the net. :D

9. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Oh! Smmmmoooooth!!!! :D

10. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Yes, like said by visor. It is a fault if you're almost 100% certain that the bird cannot cross the net, the bird does not have to touch the ground at that point and you can smack the net and not be called for a fault.

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That's not quite correct.

Suppose the shuttle is obviously going out, but has not yet touched the net or the ground. It is still in play, so your hitting the net would be a fault.

If the shuttle has already hit the net and started to fall on the striker's side, then it is not in play. You have already won the rally and cannot be faulted.

To make things even more confusing, here's another exception: you cannot be faulted if the shuttle has touched an opponent's racket without travelling back towards your court (e.g. the opponent hits it backwards, away from the net).

See my page on obscure badminton rules for explanations of these arcana. ;)

12. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

2 rackets more shuttles - apply to BWF re:

By the Laws, there is provision provided specifically:

5. EQUIPMENT COMPLIANCE
    The Badminton World Federation shall rule on any question of whether any racket, shuttle or equipment or any prototype used in the playing of Badminton complies with the specifications. Such ruling may be undertaken on the Federation’s initiative or on application by any party with a bona fide interest, including any player, technical official, equipment manufacturer or Member Association or member thereof.

So methinks, your continental federation will permit sanctioning of such use; you may as well use the definition: ... or on application by any party with a bona fide interest ... player ... official ...

I have seen this in action at several baddy academies. It most definitely makes good practice and drill sessions. However, for competitive play! Hmmm, are you good at sales, as in convincing stake holders and stuff?

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

5. Equipment compliance

I believe that this 'EQUIPMENT COMPLIANCE' is a good thing. BWF should control the specifications of rackets; so that no disadvantage could be suffered by player(s).

But the compliance will be applying to tournament matches only.

It reminded me (experienced it when I was playing competitive Table Tennis) of how strict ITTF (International Table Tennis Federation) is governing Table Tennis 'EQUIPMENT COMPLIANCE'. At competitions/tournaments, all players are to show their bats to the umpire before a match commences. All equipments approved by ITTF have a label/stamp on it (like the brand name of the bat) on the bat/rubber surface, stating that the equipments are 'Approved by ITTF'.

Badminton rackets do not have such label like 'Approved by BWF' marked on them. Currently, we can only see such label on tube of shuttlecocks.