Laserfibre MS200TT Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Pete LSD, Mar 18, 2005.

1. powerbaddy

powerbaddy Regular Member

Hi stringtechno, don't u mean to put the first weight @ 5.5kg and then the second one @ 7kg? Eitherway, I cud see that being less of a pain compared to adding/removin the big weight all the time. Wuts funny is I find people are gettin different tension readings with the small weight. For example, valentinas stated that his small weight @ the end of the bar was 11kg x 2.2 = 24.2. But when I put my weight on the end of the bar, my fish scale reads sumwhere in the mid 25lbs if I rmber correctly. And if I were to bring the weight all the way down to the bottom, I get a readin of close to 13lbs. So assumin to add the second badminton weight on, I wud get 13+13-10=16lbs on the lowest end and 25+25-10=40lbs on the high end. This range of 16-40lbs is acceptable to me b/c the lowest tension I've ever been asked to tension is 17lbs which for me, wud b a 16x18 tensionin so havin 16lbs min is perfect. I'm more concerned about the difference in readings from fish scale to fish scale in the calibration process. Without the ruler, I can only rely on the fish scale n use a sharpie marker to mark reference points accordingly. The difference between valentinas end of the bar reading of 24lbs reading vs my 25lbs reading tho is prob not trivial when we consider that badminton racquets are not so durable compared to tennis racquets. Things like frame distortion wud b much more noticeable on baddy racquets. I have measured the tension of the bar only n it reads 10lbs 4oz so I believe my fish scale can't b too far off in accuracy.

2. Valentinas

Valentinas Regular Member

consultant
    Dear powerbaddy

I think accuracy between the two different machines is very good. Considering all of the possible errors in measurements (including the fact that the last mark on the ruler is actually 10,5 kg and exact end of the rod can be not exactly 11 kg mark) 1 lbs difference between 24 lbs and 25 lbs is about 4 % only. This is a great result.

I agree with PeteLSD that every stringer must aim not at a tension on the rod/display/etc. but at achieving stable result every time. Slipping clamp can do more damage to the resulting stiffnes of the string bed then any small differences on tensioner. Pre-stretching or not pre-stretching the strings before tensioning has big impact also.

So catch and eliminate every bug in you process and equipment - and you customers will be happy :)

Regards,

Valentinas

3. powerbaddy

powerbaddy Regular Member

To stringtechno,

When i bought my machine, my coach marked the tensions with a marker on the bar as he lost his ruler. After using it for some time, they marks have disappeared and i need to recalibrate it to mark it. What i have found interesting is that when i pull bg65 string with an empty bar without the weight attached, i get a reading of around 10lbs if i leave some slack on the string and allow it the bar to drop around horizontal plane. but if i were to pull up all the slack on the string, my fish scale reads a higher tension around 11lbs 3oz or so and the bar stops at a very high angle (nowhere near horizontal plane). i'm wondering why this is, isn't the machine technically supposed to pull at the same tension no matter what angle the bar drops too. Taking this into consideration, what should i do to calibrate and mark, should i measure by pullin all the slack each pull, or should i leave enuff slack that the bar drops to horizonal plane? when i have pull up all the slack and put the small dropweight all the way at the end of the bar, i get a reading of 26 9oz ish. which is pretty far off compared to the 24-25lbs reading i have seen some people post about. Thanks.

4. GT0ro

GT0ro Regular Member

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I was looking to buy a stringway machine for badminton. It seems like they might have some sort of problems with the mounts not giving enough support for the badminton frame? Have any of you guys had any problems with stringing at higher tensions? Does the badminton options for the mounts provided by stringway work or is it better to have two head clamps instead?

Thanks!

5. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    I followed PeteLSD's advice to mount the head plate also on the throat (or was it vice versa) to get another point of support.

The only issue i had with the mounts were that you'll have to do top down stringing on the crosses. simply cause you won't be able to clamp the top most cross.

If you're interested in buying this machine, I am selling mine since I switched to the Gamma 6004 + Wise.

It would be a local deal too.

6. GT0ro

GT0ro Regular Member

did you need to do top down stringing before making the alterations?

7. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    I went top down from the beginning (when i ordered my Laserfibre/Stringway I ordered the additional mount)

8. stringtechno

stringtechno Regular Member

engineer