Lack of mental strength !

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by xymaerts, Aug 17, 2008.

1. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    When was the picture ever bright? Especially for you.

2. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

I know the reality is hard to accept. And thats the problem with our Malaysia Boleh thingy. And as long as we adopt this 'katak di bawah tempurung' mentality, we are not to achieve anything.

3. xymaerts

xymaerts Regular Member

View it this way, we are not finding excuses. We are keen to look into the "root course" of the problem.. This is very important! Else, if LCW & Misbun keep on improving his skill, stamina etc.. At the end of the day, we still get the same result.. I hope you get the point

4. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    That's exactly what I was saying.

5. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    If you are equating fans who cheer for their players no matter if it's up or down with 'katak di bawah tempurung' (a frog living under a shell who knows nothing about the world outside), then you get it very wrong.

Yes sometimes, the over-enthusiastic and over-optismitic Malaysian fans can be annoying and embarrassing, but it's better than those who only wants success and starts pointing fingers when that is not achieved. Being overly-positive is preferable than overly-negative.

In the Olympics, I've seen many fans cheer for their countries even when they do badly. I've seen Aussie fans cheering loudly in their lost cause against the mighty Chinese ping pong team. I'm pretty sure they are firmly rooted in reality, but they don't care.

6. xymaerts

xymaerts Regular Member

YES... i think i reply to the wrong person..:D:D

7. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

No, this has got nothing to do with fans cheering their favourite shuttler/s.

My reply was to your;

The point is if LCW at his prime is unable to do it in Beijing, it will be impossible for him to do it past his prime, 4 years later. And from track record, MAS shuttlers are on a downhill slope once they hit 28.

8. xymaerts

xymaerts Regular Member

If they got married, even worst.. Look at how is Taufik donig now...

9. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    And my point is I am not ruling out LCW still being in his prime 4 years later. I am not ruling out him being past his prime either. I am inclined to believe that you are right, except that I disagree with your absolution. I am open to possibilities.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i'm surprised what some MAL fans are saying. U guys are now bolehing LCW for 2012 success without even considering LCW's personal well being. U guys call yourselves LCW fans???? He is not a machine, change oil, add fuel, change tires and lets go again. Even as a lin dan fan, i do have concern about LCW's well being. Do u guys know or care about what injury LCW has now? From my observation, he is one of the most bandaged top 6 MS players around. He was near burnt out before misbun's TLC nurtured him back into badminton. He almost lost hope after li mao lefted, didnt he? Now u guys asking LCW to work harder and match or exceed Lin dan's level. My honest opinion, u r gonna push LCW over the limit of no return. ie. permanent serious injury. I hope it is just your ignorance and not lack of care about LCW all for personal egos.

#70 cooler, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  11. Heong

Heong Regular Member

Mental strength is hard to control & it's easy to say but hard to do especially when you are in deep pressure. LCW had problems overcoming this.

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I believe Poul Erik Hoyer Larsen was 35 when he won OG in 1996

13. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I'm touched by your concern for LCW. Whether he continues or not is totally up to LCW and no one else. If he is up to it, all the best. If not, bye and thanks for the memories.

14. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    WoW I can't believe I am hearing this broken record again. LCW in the Thomas Cup has superior mental strength and excellent strategy, then LCW in the Olympics is lacking in mental strength and Misben is strategically incompetent! Please lets have some consistency!!!

Its not that LCW is lacking in mental strength, he was just overwhelmed by a obviously inspired Lin Dan. I've never seen Lin Dan use so much variation in his game before and even watching on TV, I couldn't even predict what he was going to do, I can't even imagine what LCW was thinking & feeling. I feel Lin Dan overall is a better player than LCW, what I mean is given they play 10 unbiased games, Lin Dan is going to win 7 or 8 of those meetings.

Reminded me of Zhao Jian Hua destroying, i mean beating Joko in the All England years back. Anyways sometimes your opponent just has you all figured out and its your turn to lose. Unfortunately for LCW it had to happen in the Olympic final ... OPPs :eek:

15. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Yup, but he came from the breed of "long-lived" careers ...... :D Something to do with Denmark's superior footwork, I suppose.

Morten Frost, Poul Erik, now Gade and Jonassen, all played top level at above 30 ......

16. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I agree with you. LD would have beaten LCW even if LCW played the best match of his life.

17. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    What LCW has in common with PG is his light footwork. Due to this lightness, he does not have to punish his body too much. But we'll see. At the very least LCW should have 2 good years left. And another 2 years is not exactly a stretch of the imagination.

18. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Totally agree.
    We haven't had any pulsating matches between LCW and LD for a long time.The last 4 matches were one-sided.LCW thrashed LD in JO07 and TC08 and LD thrashed LCW in SWO08 and OG08.This indicates it's not a mental strength(I hate it when people think plain but you must excuse Misbun because he has limited English vocabulary) factor but more the pre-match strategy thought out.
    If you look at the scores of some CHN matches, quite a number of G1 were under 10 for the non-CHN opponent.This suggests that CHN opted for the FAST StART strategy where the CHN player took the risk of using maximum energy to maximise speed to shock the opponent from taking off with their own game plan.Once the opponent loses confidence, he will not be able to play his A game.So in TC,LD's B game cannot matched LCW's A game; similarly in OG, LCW's B game was no match for LD's A game.
    Of note also is LD's mental preparation was better.He said he was mentally prepared for a silver and he wore Mao's lucky charm(yes, you can laugh!)It wasn't the charm that determined his win but just that these little things help to calm the nerves so he can focus 100%.Being prepared for the worst(silver)prevented him from panicking because he knew it won't be the end of the world.
    When panic strikes, no player can play their best badminton and the NSS gives them no time to recover if the score gap is too wide.
    Hopefully, both LCW and LD will have FAST START strategies in JO08 and we'll have a fantastic G1, then a resting level G2 and another fantastic G3.
    Meantime, congrats to LD.I'm so happy for him because he earned the win. (Hopefully,LYB will have the guts and confidence to let him play a real SF match with CJ in future to see if he can win a title under that condition.)
    Congrats also to LCW for changing history by proving that a MAS MS is solid enough to reach the final. That itself is a feat and I'm confident he will continue to rewrite history.He is really exceptional.
    Let's hope both LCW and LD will continue to enrich us with their amazing badminton for a long time.

19. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

i just cant understand why lee chong wei sends the shuttle up clear and dont want to smash when he got the chance??
    its just like not his normal game..

20. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Because this time, it's LD's turn to deactivate him so most of LCW shots didn't work.Don't worry, they'll have more matches and take turns to defeat each other.