Korean Open final

Discussion in 'Korean Open 2004 / Japan Open 2004' started by kwun, Apr 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rejang

rejang Regular Member

Indeed WCH's lost by all accounts seem to fall into the same undesirable practice. Personally I have not watched the match to be able to comment; but I did watched the Korea Open MS final to be disappointed.

BTW this is a badminton forum for discussion on things badminton. Therefore I don't see why we should not be discussing badminton issues- players, officials, matches etc. As long as we stick to the discussion of the issues rather than personality; least of all attacking any poster's opinion. Look, where else can we have an entertaining discussion on these issues with poeple who enjoy and somewhat know and follow the game? :rolleyes:

2. xofrevlis

xofrevlis Regular Member

Student
    Oh no, when I first came to the forum and encountered such entertaining debates it was pretty worthwhile the read. It's just that I feel as if I seem to have heard it all before... lots and lots of times. :confused:

I remember someone, I think it was LB who, after many posts in numerous threads, was sick to the bone of reiterating his side of the arguments on the issue of the Chinese squad's alleged cheating, match fixing etc.

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    As an Aside, I didnt realise Park Joo Bong was coaching Ra/Lee Womens doubles? Also he wasnt wearing yonex Kit, like the rest of the korean team, but wearing a joo bong tracksuit.

4. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

I just cant understand, if people beat you because they work hard,are very dedicated etc why would one want to
    sabotage them, why not work just as hard,invest just as much and try to outdo them?Jealousy?

Would one agree for eg. to change the height of basketball posts because Americans eg. are too tall and bully everyone else? Or would you create a Yao Min to beat them at their own game?
    Remember the tragedy of the 7 point system?
    FIFA alterted rules to fit more countries but the standard of football is maintained.

5. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

base in Spore, heart at wherever Lin Dan n Xuanze
    wat has TV live broadcast gotta do with they not following the usual sequence??? i dont understand :confused:

6. xofrevlis

xofrevlis Regular Member

Student
    Er... you've lost me there with the sabotage and jealousy stuff.
    If you mean why don't I just participate in the argument with my opinions then it's because they've been said time and time again by other posters in other threads - it doesn't bring anything new, you know?

7. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Xo,

I think Bbn was just talking in general about badminton players, not directing it towards you. He's saying, why do people complain after the CHN shuttlers win MS in practically every tournament.

Instead of all the complaints, etc, why not attempt harder to beat the CHN shuttlers?? There's all this talk about how one CHN shuttlers may let up easy or give up after one set, etc etc.... but this doesn't occur at every stage. We're not even sure if Chen Hong just gave it away to Xia in 2nd set. If one is not satisfied with these, then he just better hope that these CHN shuttlers get beaten in earlier stages. If they've already made it to the Semis or finals, then there's nobody to blame for that, except for the players that let them get there in the first place.

And truthfully, does it really matter who wins between CH and Xia? Either way, gold and silver is going to the same country. Unless one really fancies one of the players for their looks, etc, there's really no significance in which one of the CHN players wins. It's not like Xia was in a very dangeorus position to be knocked out of the top 16 so that Chen just needed to let him win or something.....

If people keep getting angry about CHN's actions and so called "fixed" results, then hope that others playrs can knock them out before they reach the semis and finals and so on....

Also, no matter what Li Yongbo is doing with his team, I think he should be respected for his 110% effort in obtaining golds for China. One may not be able to identify with his acitons, but he sure can identify with Li's motivations.

8. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Exactly.

I think its strange that EU countries with such a strong tradition in the game invest so little in grooming sports stars esp badminton.

I dont think its all sponsorships as I dont think sponsors can break even in a poor man's sport like badminton, its all public funds.

Look how Germany is taking it so seriously and suceeding.

To prevent domunance EU countries can band together with joint facilities, joint training etc, exchanges to create an elite core, very much like what Camilla is trying to say.

I think IBF is tired of certain sectors making a lot of noise changing this and that without looking at themselves first
    and changing themselves internally,See how Asian football

has improved with investments and exchanges, it all costs money.

The truth is badminton is a poor mans sport, what is earned in a tournament may make some meaning to an Asian player but to say a player in Denmark the prize money after tax can't even buy a round of Carslberg, so they are doing it not for money,

Check out a lot of advice by Martin Dew, he knows what he is talking about.

9. xofrevlis

xofrevlis Regular Member

Student
    Ah, right... that does away my prior confusion then.
    My interpretation skills are crappy. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.