Korean Open final

Discussion in 'Korean Open 2004 / Japan Open 2004' started by kwun, Apr 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Some interesting observations :

There were hardly a few hundred spectators, looks like badminton is new in Korea despite been Sudirman Cup winners and having Olympics/world champions like Park and Kim and Ra.

most of the spectators turned their backs to men's singles game, probably were discussing about the best steamboat in town.

Li Mao and Kim Hak Kyun were coaching Jun Jae Yon.

Ra and Lee were coached by Park and Chung Myun Here (you can hardly recognise her,old!)

Zheng Bo and SaNG yANG PLAYED VERY DEFENSIVELY
    and seemed to be copying Kim Dong Moon's strokes.Sometimes you thought they were not really trying.

Doesn't mean INa no good, very similar to Chandra/Sigit.
    Alven I heard is Hendrawan's cousin or brother in law.

Zhang Ning was in immaculate from and looked great in pink, Zhang and Yang too in orange.

2. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

hmm.. i'm suprise to find that some ibf top guns are there.... for eg. Punch Gunalan..

are they there to prevent anymore players of getting handcocked?

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Chen Hong blew the game away.. Xia was controlling him and Chen Hong was following Xia's phase.

Too bad Ra Kyung Min didnt win the womens doubles.. but again winning steak for the MixD!..
    Streak will continue in Japan Open.

4. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

any korean/s in this forum??? isn't badminton popular in korea?? i have tried searching for news and photos of korea open in the local media but found very little, its all about baseball, soccer and golf bt no badminton...

i think kim/ra aint participating in japan open, right??

5. ants

ants Regular Member

Oh yeah.. correction.. They are not joining the JP OPEN

6. jeicegreen

jeicegreen Regular Member

I'm not a Korean. But, I live Korea because of my father's business.
    I have many Korean friends. But, they don't even know name of Kim Dong Moon/Ra Kyung Min. :eek: I talked to my friends about Kim Dong Moon.(--;)

Badminton is 'not' 'not' 'not' popular in Korea.
    sunzhi~ You're right. Baseball, soccer, golf, basketball is very popular and composes most of articles in media. I had read articles that Korean badminton players envy ethusiastic support of Indonesian and Malaysian.. They 'always' have played in calm.

I saw Korea Open five-finals today.
    Ra was as half-death(?)body. She concentrated even her tiptoe's energies on the finals. Yesterday, she lay down on court for 15min after she won in WD-sf. And she was carried in the back of man. She had leg-convulsions. :(
    I really respect Ra Kyung Min!! :) :) , hope she will good luck.

Kim and Ra will not MX in Japan Open.
    I read article that Kim and Ra will attend Asian-badminton championships at 'last'. I don't know correctly but, I think they will not play TC/UC. :(

7. rejang

rejang Regular Member

Guys, I'm sorry to be a dampener. I have watched the MS final live and just rewatched the match again on video. I cannot but feel that the MS match is, again, fixed. The 1st set was fought tooth and nail between the players. In the second set, right from the word go, one can observe that Chen Hong was not putting in too much effort. A couple of times he seems to be "caught" by Xia's shots but if you watch properly, he was caught only becos he was not even bothering to move at all. CH only appeared to be going thru the motion. Most telling of all is their expression. There is no hunger in either of the players' expression in the 2nd set, unlike the 1st. The set was over in less than 15 mins :confused:

8. mirrura

mirrura Regular Member

part time dreamer
    i agree with you, rejang. I don't really think the word fixed is rather suitable here but the typical "The winner of the first set, wins the match". Chen Hong was really playing in the first set and seemed to be on par with Xia. I too noticed that there were several shots which were let go by chen hong on purpose and I guess he pretended to be "shocked" by looking up to the air when the shuttle hit the floor. Anyway, this case is already very typical among the Chinese and I am already getting used to it...hehe :) :D

9. Zax

Zax Regular Member

badminton promotor :)
    playing order

Because of TV Broadcast..

- Mark.

10. Zax

Zax Regular Member

badminton promotor :)
    Of course he gave it away in the second. Whoever wins the first game, wins the match. Logical, it's not smart to kill each other before Japan.

11. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    well we know chen hong seems to give up sometimes when losing, but once he didnt even try to return a straight net shot from xia from his own short serve.Make your own mind up.

Yes it was on CCTV5. Was quite good, chen smashed his way through first half 1st set, but then xia worked out his defence, and counter attacked qiucker. the less said the better about g2. The ws was not good, junjy onlt points, bar 1/2 were from Zhang ning unforced error. WD good. Ra/lee technically and tactically much better than Chinese, as in alle england, but have problems finishing rallies, due to lack of power, and good chn defense. If chinese were playing flat attacks, the koreans were quicker, and winning. when chn played more angled attackes, the pace was slower, allowing chn to win through there better power. If ra/lee can be better attacking then they will have shorter games, better chance to beat top chinese, and less tired in latter stages. they were still quicker than yang/zhang even after yesterdays match. in md, the first set was error strewn, could have been anyones game,bo/sang had better imo, but ina took it at end, this settled the ina pair, and the chines pair were unable to cope with deceptive drives of ina, and they still made error.almost, but not quite. didnt see xd as went off air when the man was 13-2 up.

12. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

tks jeicegreen.. i am surprise as badminton has brought home 4 olympics golds for korea, nt to mention the numerous world titles... wht do you mean Ra and Kim will not play in TC/UC???

no comment on Chen H giving up the 2nd game, bt i must admit i am very disappointed with the way the 2nd game ws played...

13. jeicegreen

jeicegreen Regular Member

I read an article~
    "Kim and Ra will attend ONLY ABC before Olympics, asian badminton Championships will be the last game because of injury prevention. OLYMPICS is most important game to them and they will not have excessive games. They will not concern about their continuous winning, too."

I don't know it means only MX-d. They can attend other MD, WD.
    But, I think they will not attend TC/UC 'because of injury prevention'.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there is no MX in TC/UC. so they definitely cannot attend. :)

i think it makes sense for them to not play mixed at least. they already have so many points they will certainly qualify. since Kim/Lee is sitting at 2nd place, may even be better if they were to be 2nd seed instead of 3rd seed depending on how the seeds are placed.

15. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef

Maybe he gave up a little, but i dont think it had to do with the fact that it was one of his team mates. i saw him give up just as easily in the 2001 world champs against Peter Gade in the second game. credit to gade though, but i dont see how it's any different from how Chen played against Xia in the second set

g

16. rejang

rejang Regular Member

That's right "fixed" is the wrong word. Rather they are following the now weell-known, acknowledged nototirous LYB doctrine of "one set is enough". Unfortunate for all badmin ton fans as well as non-Chinese players. I cannot say this is healthy to the game of badminton as well as promoting the game of badminton to others.

17. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Strong Words.

I suppose the way Wong Choon Han played in All England

and lost is good for badminton.

18. ants

ants Regular Member

Based on WorldBadminton Net.. RA/Kim is going to play in Japan Open. But she will not be playing in the doubles.

19. xofrevlis

xofrevlis Regular Member

Student
    Do we really have to have these right or wrong, clever tactics or dirtry tricks etc discussions after every single tournament? One side brings out their opinions and another side will argue those with their own opinions and at the end of the day, nothing is resolved.

I feel strongly about people being entitled to their own opinions but making full-scale discussions about the players, the staff, the fans, the IBF etc is getting a little tedious.

20. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

No harm surely, in fact dont you think its quite

educational and entertaining?

As long as there is less mud-slanging and character

assasinations,with a bit of integrity and professionalism

there's a lot to learn.

Too much bigotry ala KKK and skinheads of course

unhealthy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.