Korea Badminton Scene

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by blabl, Jan 30, 2016.

1. blabl

blabl Regular Member

I guess people around the world would be very interested to know about the Korean badminton scene hence this thread is created to serve that purpose. So if anybody have anything to ask about the Korean badminton scene they can always post their questions here.

Also there are also lots of Korean badminton news in Hangul of course so it will definitely be good if there are kind people out there who will be willing to translate those articles for us to have better understanding of Korean badminton scene in this forum.

Once again thank you in advance.

accio12132 likes this.
  2. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    How many of the Korean players have drivers licences?

3. blabl

blabl Regular Member

All the senior players have driver licences unless those young and junior players who are below 20 years old.

4. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Is Sung Ji Hyun girlfriend of Son Wan Ho???

What was the reason behind Shin Baek Cheol's dumping of Lee Yong Dae???

Is it because SBC considered himself as the superior player of the two and thought LYD will ruin his chances of winning the WC?

Thanks

Fox

5. blabl

blabl Regular Member

[MENTION=122561]Nine Tailed Fox[/MENTION]

Dear friend so sorry for the late reply.

1. Is Sung Ji Hyun girlfriend of Son Wan Ho???

That unfortunately cannot be confirmed.

2. What was the reason behind Shin Baek Cheol's dumping of Lee Yong Dae???
    To be honest nobody dump anybody here. Experimenting with new pairings. So far Lee Yong Dae / Yoo Yeon Seong partnership is the best.

This is the article to support the comments above.

Read the full article from

http://bwfbadminton.com/2016/01/20/we-help-each-other-lee-yoo/

We Help Each Other : Lee and Yoo

What was the formula behind Lee Yong Dae and Yoo Yeon Seong’s record-breaking run in 2015 – when they won four World Super series titles on the trot, out of six for the year?

Studying opponents made the difference, said Lee, as the pair talked to Badminton Unlimited on a recent shoot on the side lines of the Dubai World Superseries Finals.

“Firstly, our strong partnership is what makes us good on-court,” said Lee. “We’ve also learnt to study our competitors well especially our stronger competitors. In 2014, we had a hard time defeating some of these players. We couldn’t find their weaknesses. But in 2015, after constantly monitoring and analysing their games, we could beat them.”

His partner Yoo admits they feel pressure all the time.

“We always feel pressure in every single match. But instead of thinking about winning a gold medal or winning the match, we concentrate on our game; on how we should play. I think because of that we can overcome the pressure.

“When we practice as a team, we do it seriously. We play as if we are in a competition. I think this helps in keeping us on our toes and making sure we stay competitive all the time. We also help each other and discuss our strength and weaknesses and exchange ideas. So it is a win-win situation for all of us.

“I feel quite emotional every time we win a game. Each tournament or game is equally meaningful. So it is very hard for me to choose the most memorable moment.”

6. blabl

blabl Regular Member

2. What was the reason behind Shin Baek Cheol's dumping of Lee Yong Dae???
    First after entering the senior circuit, Lee Yong Dae has been partnered with Jung Jae Sung. So when Jung Jae Sung retired, the Korean coaches are struggling to find the best partner for Lee Yong Dae. At first he was tried out with Shin Baek Cheol but the partnership didn't work out. I mean they didn't win any titles playing together. So the Korean coaches have decided to partner him with Ko Sung Hyun.

Unfortunately that didn't work out either. Ko Sung Hyun seems to be the weaker player in this partnership. Ko Sung Hyun seems to keep making mistakes after mistakes partnering Lee Yong Dae. Hence again the partnership didn't work out hence the need to change partnership again. So he was partnered with Yoo Yeon Seong till now permanently.

7. blabl

blabl Regular Member

3. Is it because SBC considered himself as the superior player of the two and thought LYD will ruin his chances of winning the WC?

Sorry to say this question is a little bit irrelevant. To be honest the stress have always been there partnering Lee Yong Dae, and Ko Sung Hyun himself admitted this. Thus, Ko Sung Hyun is happy partnering Shin Baek Cheol. However, their best performance was in Copahagen World Championship 2014 when both of them won over the greater player Lee and Yoo. Shin Baek Cheol never consider himself as a better player. However Shin Baek Cheol himself is indeed a talented player.

I thought the partnership of Shin and Ko will work out but it seems that since year 2015 till now both performance have been off the radar. Even Kim Gi Jung / Kim Sa Rang performance is much better then them now. But then the best MD for Korea is still Lee Yong Dae / Yoo Yeon Seong till today.

I hope I have answered all your questions correctly.

8. blabl

blabl Regular Member

1. Is Sung Ji Hyun girlfriend of Son Wan Ho???

I think no clear cut answer here. What I am more concerned now is Son Wan Ho may not make the cut for Rio Olympics 2016. His poor performances have been highlighted since 2015 till 2016. He kept losing in the firs round of the tournaments regardless of who is his opponent. He can even lose to any unranked and unknown player now. That is too bad.

In Korea till now the best MS player is still Lee Hyun Il. However, he is getting older. Then just when I thought Jeon Hyeok Jin will shine but I am treated to sad news of how he kept losing to unranked and unknown players. This is indeed a matter of concern.

9. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Another joke in Korean Badminton is Lee Dong Keun.

After spending many years in pro circuit and surrounded by good team mates...He lost 21-2 against Tommy Sugiarto.........Pathetic to say the least.......Sugiarto has no weapon unless given a short lift,neither has a very good footwork......Still only 2 pts,i was shocked

10. blabl

blabl Regular Member

This you are right. Lee Dong Keun performance has been the worst thus far. Yes you are right. That match versus Tommy Sugiarto is really pathetic. Till today he has never impressed with me anything. But then losing in the first or second round of the tournament has been a joke thus far. He can even lose to any unranked and unknown players at any time.

11. blabl

blabl Regular Member

2015 Korean National Badminton Team till present this year 2016

Men’s singles: Son Wan Ho, Lee Dong Keun, Ha Young Woong, Kim Dong Hoon, Lee Hong Je, Jeon Hyeok Jin, Heo Kwang Hee, Seo Seung Jae

Women’s singles: Bae Yeon Ju, Sung Ji Hyun, Koh Eun Byeol, Lee Jang Mi, Kim Ye Ji, Han So Yeon, Kim Na Young, Kim Hyo Min

Men’s doubles: Yoo Yeon Seong, Ko Sung Hyun, Lee Yong Dae, Kim Sa Rang, Shin Baek Cheol, Chung Eui Seok, Kim Ki Jung, Kim Dae Eun, Kim Duck Young, Jun Bong Chan, Choi Sol Kyu, Kim Jae Hwan

Women’s doubles: Jang Ye Na, Kim Ha Na, Jung Kyung Eun, Eom Hye Won, Kim So Young, Go Ah Ra, Yoo Hae Won, Lee So Hee, Shin Seung Chan, Kim Ji Won, Chae Yoo Jung, Kim Hye Rin, Kong Hee Yong

12. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Jeon Hyeok Jin, new hopes for Korean men badminton

Jeon Hyeok-jin is new hope for badminton men’s singles that had been deemed the weakest in Korea’s national badminton team. At the Universiad Competition in Gwangju that ended on July 14, Jeon grabbed surprising two wins. At the men’s singles finals, Jeon beat Son Wan-ho, the best Korean player in men’s singles and world`s no. 8. Jeon again won Son last week at the Taiwan Open, proving a strong competence.

Jeon is currently competing at the nationwide summer badminton competition in Chuncheon, Gangwon Province. “I’m getting more confident since I have been in the upper ranks in international games this year," Jeon said. "I have had no wins since I entered college last year. But I really want to win this time.”

Having ranked 188th in global rankings early last year, Jeon is now at placed at 38th. He jumped 150 notches in just six months, as he grabbed third, second and first places in Thailand, Malaysia and Japan, respectively, in the first half of this year.

Jeon started badminton since he was eight by being affected by his father who was member of a badminton club. He joined the national badminton team in 2013 when he was a high school senior. After winning a gold medal last year at the Incheon Asian Games men’s team play, Jeon grabbed two gold medals at the Universiad Competition, receiving sports pension at age 20. “Fellow players and seniors asked me to treat,” Jeon said in smiles.

Having strength in hair pins, Jeon is training more than six hours a day to make up for physical strength and footwork shortfalls. He said, “I want to join the world top 10, so that I can play in the Olympic Games.”

National team coach Lee Deuk-choon said, “Jeon has the potential to follow Lee Hyun-il and Son Wan-ho. He’s clever and clearheaded.”

13. blabl

blabl Regular Member

The actual article is written in Hangul taken from THE DONG - A ILBO website. I the original article is written in Hangul. Thus I have translated this article to English so that it is easier for bcers to understand what I being said in the article.

14. blabl

blabl Regular Member

15. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Thanks for the effort and sharing blabl!!

Wonder if there is any recent news on Jung Jane Sung? Is he still active in the korea's domestic badminton scene?

16. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Sorry to say there is no recent news of Jung Jae Sung. He has retired from playing badminton many years ago. Anyway for your information Jung Jae Sung is already married and has a son. He is happy with the live he is leading now. I certainly hope that he can contribute more to Korea badminton scene by becoming a coach etc... etc....

17. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Thanks for the sharing! :)

18. event

event Regular Member

He retired in 2012 from international competition but continued to play domestically. In 2014, he was still playing a lot for Samsung when Lee and Kim were under suspension. The last time he was in national competition was December 2014, when he filled in for the injured Kim Sa Rang. At the moment, he is still contributing, as a coach for Samsung Electromechanics. He also did a short stint coaching the national junior team and I believe I have heard him do commentary on television in the past year.

19. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Thanks for the information. Anyway what I am referring to is to see him coaching for the BKA national team badminton players. Thank you. :)

20. blabl

blabl Regular Member

First and foremost a little bit to share about Korean player recent performance at the recent Thailand masters tournament. All right. Korea will have 6 players playing in the semi-finals today which is a very good sign. I just checked the scores and found out about it. Of course I also know that lots of countries didn't send their best player for this tournament. Some countries just send their second rated or third tier players. I also observed that Japan didn't even send a single player to this tournament.

So Korea will have representatives in the MD, WS, MD and WD department.

Indeed there are some improvement as of now.

This also has been a long wait for me. To see 2 MS Korean players playing in the semifinals.

So here are the players who will ba playing today at 5 pm Thailand time.

MS
    Lee Hyun Il and Son Wan Ho

WS
    Sung Ji Hyun

MD
    Ko Sung Hyun / Shin Baek Cheol and Kim Gi Jung / Kim Sa Rang

WD
    Jung Kyung Eun / Shin Seung Chan