Ko Sung-hyun

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by weewee, Jan 8, 2011.

1. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    in those terms it sounds simple, but do not expect this ruling to set any int'l precedent. the korean court judgement is actually removing the barriers of the legal relationship between bwf and the players, which there currently is none. to that point, the korean courts have no jurisdiction... which is a whole other explanation. in short, the players need the bwf rule changed.

re. the match fixing players: bwf cannot ban them, since they have no jurisdiction over them. that sounds far fetched, but it is legally valid.

explaining it in terms of the usa would be easier (for me).

there are 2 main separate issues which i've mentioned elsewhere:
    1. the relationship between bwf & member associations (ma)
    2. the relationship between member associations and the players
    a player would need to sue bwf to remove the restricted entry rule because if a usa court says usa badminton has to enter you, usa badminton can give you the lowest priority. you may miss out due to entry # caps or any other excuse they want to make.

however, if bwf starts accepting independent players into their tournaments under their current rule, and requiring ma's to enter them according to ranking, they are, in essence, voiding their own entry rules via precedent.

if the players can afford a long drawn out court case they would win. it would be drawn out because it would dismantle they way bwf is run... but only in their own country. players from every country would have to sue bwf. all it takes is one wealthy player from every major badminton country to affect change.

it would take 20 pages to explain the legalities. not gonna happen here for free, ha!

2. wade

wade Regular Member

Awesome performance by ko/shin today, beat the world number 2 kamura/sonoda convincingly. they really just beat world number 5, 4, 3, and 2 to get the AO title, impressive. ko's attack was deadly today and he's playing so well at the front court.

namcho and j4ckie like this.
  3. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Yes it was great to watch these guys win the AO. One of the advantages of this pair is they can both smash. Ko was really mixing up his smashes with power, placement and angle. He was playing fearlessly and full of confidence even at the net. Kamura and Sonoda have always struggled against the old Koreans MD players so it doesn't come as a surprise that they lost but not in such convincing style.

The Japanese are a formidable pairing but they really don't have a strong enough attack, and so they try to create opportunities at the net and midcourt via drives and fast short exchanges. But when facing opponents who are equally good in the forecourt and comfortable in defense/counter, they are exposed as Sonoda's attack in the rear court simply isn't strong enough.

4. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

This tournament is one of the first I've seen where Ko isn't looking at his racket and thinking WTF.
    I wonder if they've tweaked his racket or he's getting used to it now.

Gratz to them, both of the Koreans played excellently everywhere on the court.
    The commentator nailed it though with something along the lines that "they would be even more dominating, if they sort out serving."

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Sonoda's attack isn't strong enough? What about Kamura's? :D

I think it's not the racket, but his head :D I sometimes do the same thing, when I can barely believe the error I made, just thinking that there's maybe a 2% chance that my strings or frame are broken and I'm not just incompetent :D similar to how many players sort their strings before a rally more to calm down and sort their thoughts rather than that having any physical effect

6. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

Agree with you. to me, their win against the world champion li/liu and the former world champion ahsan/setiawan are more impressive, though li/liu disappoint me a little bit, but it's still a great performance from ko/shin. shame that we couldn't see the match between ko/shin and ahsan/setiawan, really didn't expect them to win that easily since ahsan/setiawan are really in great form lately.

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'm guessing they were too decisive in their attack, put on too much pressure and forced too high a tempo. I liked how they focused Liu's weaknesses in defense (from what I've seen), really effective attacking and good awareness/decision-making mid-rally.

8. ice man

ice man Regular Member

What impressed me the most was Ko’s defence... in the past he was struggling to defend, it seems that he worked on it a lot!

Congrats to them for playing so well

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Agree about his service errors, but he's already improved from his previous no-wait serve that often ends up in the net or gets called a let because his opponent is not ready.

About his WTF look at his racket, check out this recent match from a few weeks ago ... I think I count close to 20 times ...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

10. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Perhaps a very slight improvement but he was better defensively ever since he paired with SBC. When he was with LYD, everyone was targeting him as LYD was literally an impenetrable brick wall whereas SBC is more human-like defensively. So I guess this makes him look better when SBC shares more of the burden and there is less pressure knowing you are not the sole target.

He did play well at the recent AO but he was still making the same mistakes defensively as before. He was getting the shuttle back, but it wasn't usually anymore than that. SBC on the other hand would always look to counter.

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I tend to agree.
    I think the big difference is more that there's no huge preference in their attacking formation - they simply play what looks best and feels right to them, as far as I can tell, whereas in the pairing with LYD, you could tell they were trying to force it so Ko was at the back, opening themselves up for counters. With Shin, he has not only a much more competent partner in the back court, but also dares to go forward again when it's necessary/sensible. They spend less time on defense, and are more decisive when they get a lift.
    The downside is that neither has a really strong serve (although LYD seems troubled by the new, stricter judges as well for some reason).

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Ko and Shin were awesome at the Australian. I noticed a huge improvement in Ko's net play - he seemed a lot more confident and willing to go for winners where he was a passive blocker before.

Shin's new serve is excellent as well.

visor and skeksis like this.
  13. Tennyson

Tennyson Regular Member

Both Shin and Ko are remarkable athletes despite retired for more than a year they are playing like they have never being out and even with renewed energy. It is more exciting to watch them than LYD / YYS as both are very all round and action packed. Old school badminton at its best.

nizze and Baddie lover like this.
  14. visor

visor Regular Member

Agree. Quite often watching LYD and YYS play is kinda like watching an XD match.

Well, this week at Canada open LYD/YYS and KSH/SBC are drawn into separate halves, so if they perform as planned, they should meet in the final, which would be a cracker of a match. Almost makes me wanna go to Calgary this Sunday!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

It seems as though the Ko/Shin partnership is a lot more balanced now. Yes, Shin will steam into the net at the first sliver of a chance, but Ko has gone from 80/30 to 80/60 rear/front. Only his serve is holding him back, now.

Shin, IMO, has always been a 60/90 - his rearcourt success comes from placement, not power. Also IMO, his shot selection is one of the best on the tour; he very rarely tries the wrong one.

visor and Tennyson like this.
  16. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

There goes the Ko/Shin - Yoo/Lee final...

visor likes this.
  17. Tennyson

Tennyson Regular Member

Ko/Shin lost meekly in Canada Open to ordinary and unknown Jap pair. Both Koreans seems very uncomfortable in their defence which is their forte and were constantly bogged down by mistakes. Not sure what was s bothering them. Not as if the Japanese pair are especially fast and powerful.

18. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I wouldn't say that defense is their forte. I'd say attacking is their forte. Whilst they are not bad in defense, they are not actually that consistent defensively. Shin is better and tries to make use of every opportunity he has to counter, Ko is not as comfortable in defense he doesn't have great reach and so tends to make a lot of errors retrieving smashes that are not in his immediate reach. He doesn't have the best touch for counters either. He has improved slowly though, and I feel playing XD has helped him develop his feel on net and mid-court shots. The trouble that all the old ex-Korean national MD players have is they struggle with wide cross court and alternating angled smashes - ones that constantly pulls them out of position.

Tennyson likes this.
  19. wade

wade Regular Member

Great match between ko/shin and ahsan/hendra today.

20. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

Talking Olympics??