Knee injury could derail Chong Wei’s French campaign

Discussion in 'Dutch Open / Denmark Open / French Open 2007' started by ixory, Oct 28, 2007.

1. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Knee injury could derail Chong Wei’s French campaign
    The star online

PETALING JAYA: A knee injury is threatening to throw shuttler Lee Chong Wei off track in his bid to chalk up consistently good results on the international stage.
    Singles coach Misbun Sidek said that the pain affected the national number one in his defeat by China's Bao Chunlai in the semi-finals of the Danish Open on Saturday.
    And to ensure that his condition would not worsen, Misbun said that Chong Wei would have to be cautious in his approach in the French Open which begins on Wednesday in Paris.
    “There was pain in his knee before the match against Chunlai but it was bearable,” said Misbun in a telephone interview from Odense yesterday.
    “However, he aggravated it during the second game. After that, Chong Wei slowed down and could not keep up with the pace.
    “Immediately after the match, Chong Wei had to use an ice pack on his knee. We have two days more before the French Open and I hope there is enough time for him to recover.”
    Misbun, however, was happy with Chong Wei's overall performances.
    “I was most satisfied with his win over Sony (Dwi Kuncoro of Indonesia in the quarter-finals). That win meant a lot to him, especially after his disastrous defeat by Sony in the World Championships,” he said.
    Chong Wei is the second seed in the French Open and he will play against Danish veteran Kenneth Jonassen in the first round. If he advances, he is likely to play against Indonesian Simon Santoso, a player whom he lost to in the quarter-finals of the Taiwan Open last month.

2. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I was wondering why LCW rallied so much in the 2nd and 3rd sets instead of his usual speed, attack and cross-court smash game plan...now we know it was a knee injury that prevent LCW from playing his usual game plan...anyway it was a win for Bao but the runner-up saga continues...

3. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    The pain only showed up after beating Sony, but before losing to Bao... YEAH...what a coincidence... :rolleyes:

4. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    oh stop being such a pessimist :)

5. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

It explains why there were no jumping smashes --- he was rallying most of the times.

Very lucky for BAO coz I did not think he had a chance after the way LCW finished him off in the 1st game. I was very puzzled why LCW rallied so much and did not finish BAO off with the usual 'one-two', which he is famous of (one-two means a smash followed by another).

Now I know.

#5 X Ball, Oct 28, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  6. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I would not worry too much about him -- he is a 'banana' case.

7. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    This coming from the dude with the suppose "secret" of the darkness within the China team...:rolleyes:

8. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I think he should lay off for a while...he could end up with a serious injury which can put him away for life. Normally with jumping type sport, e.g. badminton, basketball, volleyball, the joints are hammered by all the furious jumping.

9. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Of course, you will agree to this, as this helps you find your comfort zone after the loss of LCW... plus you don't even need to come up with an excuse yourself... someone doing the dirty work for you.:rolleyes:

"I win, I am in perform form... I lose, I am injured"... yeah... that's right.:rolleyes:

Yeah... perhaps, if he is really injured, and worried about hurting himself some more.. why not just withdrew at the beginning? Don't tell me that it is about sportsmanship, which is a load of crap... since you will be forcing yourself to forfeit if you are lucky enough to get through to the final with the injury.

#9 bananakid, Oct 28, 2007
  10. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

May I suggest you have 'selected reading' habits -- it was stated he injured himself in the 2nd by his coach. The 1st game he gave BAO a 'whacking' !

Are you telling me Misbun lied to the Press -- that it was not true what he said about the injury ?

11. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner

Selective Reading huhhh... here it is directly from the article...

“There was pain in his knee before the match against Chunlai but it was bearable,” said Misbun in a telephone interview from Odense yesterday.

May I suggest some "reading night class" for you... Preferably English.:rolleyes:

Should I sound like Vching... and tell you that I have some secret source about this so-called injury of LCW.. then I can't tell you this secret until the time is right...

#11 bananakid, Oct 28, 2007
  12. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Never mind, I am out of here... have better things to do.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    those 2 brags alot of how much they know but if u look back at their past prediction,, it is a sad dismal shameful record. When they're back into a corner from logical facts, they would resort to calling people names. That's how flaming posts get started.

#13 cooler, Oct 28, 2007
  14. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I was watching the match, and it seemed to me that LCW ran out of steam towards the end of the second game and throughout the third game. My initial thought was that he was overconfident and he went all out to take the second game, but Bao was able to withstand the pressure.

In the third game, LCW was flat (in instances where he usually made leaping smashes he didn't), and it was Bao who attacked, which is pretty unusual in Bao vs LCW matches. Until I read this article, I thought that LCW used the wrong strategy and exhausted himself. LCW being injured (whether real or not, excuse or reason) in the knee makes sense to me.

15. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Wait and see

It's too early to conclude. Let's wait and see. If LCW played fast and furious in French Open, then pretty sure this is just an excuse (although I don't see any reason to have such an excuse, this is not LCW's first loss to BCL, nor the most important loss either). Otherwise pretty sure he was indeed injured, since only a moron would deliberately miss a superseries event in this way. Besides LCW is already in Europe, it's a big waste of money if he does not play in French Open.

After watching the SF, I think BCL just played normal, if not below normal (thus no wonder he was then toyed by LD in the final). BCL was horrible in the 1st game, LCW OK. Then in the 2nd and 3rd games LCW kind of below par, BCL normal. It's not a high-quality match, with both players committing tons of errors, and not much fighting spirit in either of them.

16. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Of course, Bao did play very well (especially those sharp drops) although he exhausted himself in the process also.

17. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

“However, he aggravated it during the second game. After that, Chong Wei slowed down and could not keep up with the pace. ....", quote Misbun in the Press release.

This is why I said you have 'selected reading' because you refuse to read this following statement that was printed after the statement you stated above, which you used conveniently to argue your point.

18. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I hope those '2' do not include me ?

19. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Oh...okay... so you didn't selectively read my post... then here you go again... directly from my previous post...:rolleyes:

Yeah... perhaps, if he is really injured, and worried about hurting himself some more.. why not just withdrew at the beginning? Don't tell me that it is about sportsmanship, which is a load of crap... since you will be forcing yourself to forfeit if you are lucky enough to get through to the final with the injury.

20. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    While the Malaysian WD withdrew as soon as the first sign of an injury during the second game... the Malaysian MS decides to continue while being injured. Knowing that it is much tougher to play a Singles game compare to a doubles game bearing injury... Lee Chong Wei somehow manages to finish off the game and playing injured for about 40 minutes, not worry about hurting himself some more... Yeah... all this makes a whole heck a lot of sense.:rolleyes:

If it wasn't going to be use as an "excuse", why not just keep it a secret between the coach and LCW themselves, but to let everyone else know about it, so they can now exploit on this so-called "injury"... The reason is simple, just so they can have an easy way out when LCW loses in the French open, too.:eek: