Kevin Cordon - Talent In Abundance!

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Oldhand, Aug 11, 2008.

1. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I think his coach also prayed a lot. That's why he is successful. So pray people!. ;)

2. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Today's match LCW VS Kevin gonna be exciting...
    should Kevin performs as he did when facing CL, the match could be held in 3 set. However, if he did perform like he did on Monday, and our Dato still win in 2 set & fast.....like when he disposed PSH yesterday.
    Wow, this is definitely a warning to LD..

3. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    His netting and cross court smash from the forehand is pretty impressive. LCW will have to make sure that he's not lifting to him on the wrong side. I am very sure that Cordon will get about 5 points just smashing cross court to LCW backhand. ;)

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Kevin is not just a star on BC.
    He is also fast becoming a "hit" on Youtube.
    His match with Chen Long has already passed 9,100 views.
    His other videos are also doing well. :)

5. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Yeah agreed to that....
    9100 views on Youtube mostly will be accessed by Badminton Fan in China, who was caught by surprise of Chen Long's defeat from a country that less to be known for its badminton reputation.

Kevin cross court smash is just remarkable, he just need to improve on patience....

6. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    I can be wrong but Kevin will playing his match of his life. I believe that it will take a lot for KC to send LCW packing. However, it will be a great match to watch.

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I've just seen 2 of his matches and am already a fan! Its not just how well he plays, but how he plays the game. Very quiet (unless he wins a big point! :D) gentlemanly, attitude. No getting into dramatics with court officials. As far as his game goes, I am totally impressed by his technique, and his ability to maintain perspective: he is always in control of his actions. He is also very aware of the need to maintain and practise proper technique and shape. I think Kevin can really really go far!

Does anyone know who his coach is?

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    2011 World Championships: Kevin Cordon is one of the best players

Agree; And it was good that LCW gets to watch KC's previous matches. I believe LCW has already formulated a plan for how to play him.

It is fantastic that KC has arrived thus far (into the Quarter-Finals). Win or lose against LCW, it doesn't matter; for Kevin Cordon has already shown us he is one of the best players at this 2011 World Championships.

9. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

He's the current Guatemala hero!:)
    Anyway, i hope LCW won't underestimate him in today's match.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    An article by LA Times, written during the US Open this year...

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul/15/sports/la-sp-us-open-badminton-20110715

Badminton serves Kevin Cordon's mission

The sport helps the Guatemalan, who's competing in the U.S. Open Grand Prix event in Orange, in his Olympic quest.

July 15, 2011|By Lisa Dillman, Los Angeles Times

Trying to become a Guatemalan futbol star, say, the next Carlos Ruiz (the former Galaxy striker), would have been the understandable path for a certain youngster bursting with athletic talent.
    What, then, if the Olympic Games happened to be the ultimate destination?
    The way Kevin Cordon looked at it: One made a lot more sense than 11. To reach the Olympics, playing soccer, he would need help and a lot of it. Ten other players, in addition to himself, of course.

There was another sport to potentially get him to the vaunted Olympic stage, having to rely solely on the man in the mirror. He picked badminton, a curious selection considering the pecking order of the sport in his native Guatemala.
    "Why badminton? That's a good question," Cordon said. "One of my dreams was to qualify for the Olympics. So I couldn't do it if I played futbol because with futbol, it is very difficult. With the team, it's not easy. Badminton, I thought, was not [as] difficult. I'd have more chances to qualify."
    There wasn't anyone in his family with stray Yonex rackets sprawled around the house to pave the way.
    "No one. Nobody," he said. "I live very far from Guatemala City, five hours by car. That's interesting because as I tell you before, nobody [really] played."
    Cordon was talking after his third-round singles match this week at the Yonex/OCBC U.S. Open Grand Prix event at the Orange County Badminton Club in Orange. He took his first two matches in straight sets and defeated Dieter Domke of Germany in three sets. In Thursday night's quarterfinals, Cordon was to face Hsuan Yi Hsueh of Taiwan.
    The tournament is one of a series of qualifiers for the 2012 London Olympics, but Cordon said he'd already qualified for that event. He qualified for the Beijing Olympics in 2008 and was the flag carrier at the opening ceremony for his country's 12-member contingent.
    "It was one of the best experiences of my life," he said.
    The 24-year-old has had to take his talent far away from Guatemala to improve. Cordon had been at the national training center in Madrid since March and will be based there until October, leaving shortly before the Pan American Games in Mexico.
    This has led to his educating a lot of his badminton colleagues about his native country.
    "That's the first question they ask me: Where Guatemala is? I just say it is next to Mexico or something like that," Cordon said. "That's really good because now people know where Guatemala is."
    There weren't exactly a lot of national predecessors on the badminton circuit, to be sure.
    Kenneth Erichsen played in the 1996 Atlanta Olympics for Guatemala, and Pedro Yang represented Guatemala in Athens in 2004. Yang happens to be a member of the IOC Athletes Commission and is still active in badminton, losing in the first round of singles and doubles at the U.S. Open in Orange.
    The U.S. Open is something of a sneak preview for the Olympics with about 350 of sport's elite on hand for this event running through Sunday. The skill, finesse and power, all in a confined space, are fairly overwhelming and that helped attract Cordon to the sport.

"Badminton looks easy," Cordon said. "The sport looks easy. You have to have power, instruction, good technique. You have to be smart. It's not, for example, just running and running."

11. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

Well im new here in this thread.. but all of you seems to talk about how good Kevin's crosscourt smash is

why dont we nickname him, kevin the crosscourt striker :)

12. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Indeed this guy from guatemala has improved much over this few years. Eventhough i'm a Datuk LCW fan, its sad to see that between them, someone has to go. KC knows that his previous WC entry had ended early in the hands of Datuk LCW and since KC has already progress this far beyond anyone expectation, he will definetly give our Datuk LCW a match of his life if he's the one who will be going out in today 2011 WC QF match.

To KC, eventhough he has all the package to become a next visible threat from a non asia countries, If he and his coach watched Datuk LCW near perfect performance against PSH, its requires a more huge improvements in all aspects of his gameplay, better than what he did against CL if he's to beat Datuk LCW.

If KC can reduced from making any unforced errors, remain solid in his defence and being more dominant in the front court, his match with Datuk LCW will indeed be an interesting encounter and certainly a highlight for today matches.

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    2011 World Championships: Well Done Kevin Cordon !!!

The match was finally played.

Lee Chong Wei [1] defeated Kevin Cordon 21-07, 21-13 in 24 minutes.

Not to be disappointed; For Kevin has done well, reaching the Quarter-Finals at this 2011 World Championships.

Well Done Kevin Cordon !!! :):):)

14. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    kevin certainly have too much respect to lcw
    i hope klrc can fund him and take him to train in malaysia
    he might just have another gallant run in OG 2012

15. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

another thing that so great about kevin cordon other than his crosscourt smash is of course : his yelling power

16. jgbreezer

jgbreezer Regular Member

Software Developer
    Kevin couldn't really stand up to LCW though, I saw that match at Wembley last Friday (live, my first ever time watching pro badders and in Wembley) and I was almost embarassed for Kevin at the mistakes he was making and not recovering from shots/predicting opponent shots near quite well enough to compete on even terms. Seems like he did well to get that far but LCW was on the way through.

#56 jgbreezer, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  17. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

he played at 8pm the night before for 80 minutes. Whereas LCW played for 30 mind at 12pm the day before. So really there was not much recovery time for Kevin. Mistakes due to fatique are likely to come in as a result.

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Stage fright. He knew all eyes were on him by now... :D
    He's a very good player; huge potential; a great asset to the game right now, when it was threatening to stagnate a bit...

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..eerily almost the identical score lines as well:
    Yonex BWF World Championships 2011 - 21-7, 21-13
    YONEX BWF WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS 2010 - 21-7, 21-11
    ..he's to watch out for, for team CHN, really??..incl. LD, CJ?..or you meant for Chen Long and the younger CHN MS players?..

#59 ctjcad, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  20. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    No Msia players can beat him except Datuk Lee