Kento Momota (new thread)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by visor, May 12, 2020.

1. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Okay.. go sleep now

2. Schultzier

Schultzier Regular Member

Hi!! I have found the link for the match. It is live (soon) now :D

It works with ProtonVpN (free on the Mac) from the Netherlands.

#1422 Schultzier, Aug 22, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  3. dbolf

dbolf Regular Member

Software Developer
    what a pity to see Momota playing like that
    he gives the impression of not seeing well

4. thasan

thasan New Member

I feel that Momota's blocks seem to be much more accurate. He is using flat clears which I like - it keeps the opponent from getting behind the shuttle enough to hit it with enough power and control.

I know some people don't like that Momota is focusing on defence in the fast pace of today's game, but I actually watch Momota purely for his defensive "keep the rally going" play - like how he did against Viktor in the Denmark Open 2021. I hope he canwin games with it. I think he should explore the style to his heart's content. When he is is satisfied, if he wants to, he can explore other styles.

Pcyl likes this.
  5. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Will keep on supporting him. He survive the accident and can still play (although not as good as before), so I'd consider that a blessing. Whether he rediscover his mojo, or continue falling, it's all up to him.

Pcyl likes this.
  6. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Momota's post-match comment according to Daily Sports.

Both my condition and feel for the game were good, but being nervous on the day, I keenly felt the difficulty of implementing what I had practiced. I had confidence in my physical form, but my feet came to a stop in the tactics of the game. I was a step behind my opponent for much of the match, and that is the reason for my defeat.

7. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

So I just saw the second half of the 2nd set between Prannoy and Momota. Momota was making some uncharacteristic unforced errors. Several times, Momota lifted the shuttle short to the back, while he wasn't under any pressure. The shuttle was way short, it would have fallen short of even the double's back service line. Needless to say, those lifts were a gift to Prannoy and he got the easy smash on Momota.

In Momota's prime, I don't think he would have lifted short to the back, if he wasn't under any pressure. It's little things like this, that separates prime Momota from 2022 Momota. The weird thing is, Momota is still under 30 years of age so stamina shouldn't be an issue yet. I guess Momota is like Antonsen - they peaked a few years ago, and they keep going downhill since then.

8. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

You know why I like Nishimoto even when he was lost many matches.

Because I see him improving himself constantly, he was better and better day after day.

Momota today, was better than Momota last month. Just give him more time.

Pcyl and lodoss like this.
  9. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

I just watched the rest of the Momota vs Prannoy match. Momota is still younger than Prannoy, but based on the way both of them were moving on the court, you would think Prannoy is younger and Momota is older. Not sure what happened to Momota's speed. Momota was just moving slower than Prannoy on the court.

10. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Kento was destroyed physically and emotionally in that Malaysia road accident by his Malaysian driver and since then he's no where near to his pre-accident level. Prannoy didn't even celebrate his first ever win in 8th meetings! Which shows he knew winning against Kento is nothing to be celebrated now.

He should sue the Malay authorities for ruining his career by assigning him with an intoxicated driver to take him to the airport, after his victory.

#1430 London_Player, Aug 24, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  11. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

If Momota did this thing, he would lost everything.

This is Asia with it's culture, not like Europe.

12. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

In case you hadn’t noticed…he’s already lost or is in the process of losing everything. The shame of losing on home soil now, after the humiliation on home soil at the Olympics…

Might as well get paid for the damages.

13. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

He won't be back. It's over.

WhiteStringJunkie likes this.
  14. Schultzier

Schultzier Regular Member

Its great to see Momota improving.

I thought he would win the whole goddamn thing...

Thank you for the comments Kurako!! Its always great to read them :D

#1434 Schultzier, Aug 24, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    kurako and dbolf like this.
  15. kurako

kurako Regular Member

With compliments from @Schultzier, let's move onto the main dish. :D

Here is a translation of Momota's post-match interview, as published in Badminton Spirit. A fuller picture of the man and his current crisis can be gauged from the content.

Q1. Throughout the match you were unable to take the initiative, and lost without finding a breakthrough.
    I wasn’t able to finish off the swing of my racquet against any shot. Fearing mistakes, my game became 'small', and I think that was the reason for my defeat. Although I realised this during the game, the fact that I could not fight it, shows my mental weakness. I feel really vexed.

Q2. You predicted that the match would be a 'test of patience'. During this patient play, to what extent did you feel that you wanted to attack?
    My attempts to attack in the first half were countered. I felt that trying to take points through full swing shots was not effective, and neither was I able to apply any pressure through clears or lobs. Sensing this, my opponent increasingly moved forward, and I started to feel pressurised.

Q3. A lot of your shots seemed to hit the net.
    Until halfway through the match, I was set on moving around to hit the shots. However, the more I planned to move my opponent around in order to tire him, the more my shots fell short.

Q4. In G2 you were unable to put together an attack. In the face of defeat, do you not consider 'going all out'?
    Rather than attacking shots, I tried to use other shots that would increase the opportunity to play an attacking game. I do not believe that an attack comprises only of smashes. Smashes are not a characteristic part of my game; rather than scoring on them, I try to apply pressure on my opponent. But the fact that I was unable to do this demonstrates my weakness.

Q5. Were you unable to apply pressure because your opponent was strong?
    No, it has nothing to do with my opponent. Low levels in my courage to fight and in the accuracy of my shots account for my defeat.

Q6. Why are you unable to muster the courage to fight?
    My feeling of wanting points, and not wanting to lose, makes me overcautious.

Q7. Before the tournament, you mentioned that you were not anxious about your condition.
    I had no problem moving my body during warm-ups, and felt good about the previous match. However, due to nerves on the day, it became painfully clear how difficult it is to implement in a match what one has been working on during practice.

Q8. Difficult, even when one has already won the World Championship twice?
    It is difficult. When one is on a roll, everything goes well. But when one is down, I think, it is difficult to break the deadlock.

Q9. How confident do you feel that you can make it back to WR1?
    With the World Championships being held in Japan, I really wanted to make a comeback here. I truly worked hard towards the tournament, and am so disappointed with the result. As to the future; I would like to think about it after I have calmed down.

Q10. How do you feel about not being able to win any titles at international tournaments?
    My former self won too many titles, so winning them has come to be taken for granted. But it is actually really difficult. However hard they try, some players live their lives without ever winning one. As such, 'not winning titles' is not of concern.

----- :):)

lurker, yenyesoh, jyeung and 9 others like this.
  16. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Momota should arrange a date with Marin for mental therapy.

yenyesoh, visor, Michael V and 2 others like this.
  17. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    The old Kento was faster and had more endurance. Above all, his legendary defence that we all knew.
    After his accident, he looks very nervous in defence and opponents are quick to score easy points with their smashes, as though he's sees the shuttle a fraction slower, I know he had eye surgery after the terrible car accident. His speed is slower around the court.

18. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

While I don't think perfect vision is required, in such a fast speed game, you will have problem judging the shuttlecock flight and direction if you have problem with your eye. Top players can judge where the shuttle will land based on its speed and height, and save energy chasing it.

My guess is this is why he has not been able to get back to his best.

visor likes this.
  19. dbolf

dbolf Regular Member

Software Developer
    Yes, you're right:
    https://olympics.com/en/news/momota-kento-return-delayed-by-facial-operation

20. Head Heavy

Head Heavy Regular Member

And talk to this guy (I know it's not gonna happen):

Those two have a lot to talk about.