Kento Momota (new thread)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by visor, May 12, 2020.

1. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

:rolleyes: will he play in Malaysia in late June? I hope he will, and travel on the same route when he had the accident. Maybe the flashback will help him overcome any mental block if he is suffering from. You rise from where you fall.

nokh88 likes this.
  2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Good. And if this is the cause, why not.

3. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Lol . Maybe he has a girlfriend? But on a serious note, Lin Dan coaching momota does sounds kinda cool

4. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

Lee Zi jia and Viktor has made smashing from the back court their second nature. In their practice, they make sure they can continue with quality smashes from back court xx0 times per session (taken from the highest point possible using their height and jumping power, fast back run then bringing it down steep). So, it is better to play lifting to the back court selectively. It is also a mistake to think you can make these players get tired from smashing from back court. The more they make it their second nature, the more they can smash with accuracy from the back court without getting tired.

#1224 Pcyl, May 22, 2022
    Last edited: May 22, 2022
    Schultzier likes this.
  5. Schultzier

Schultzier Regular Member

Yes but it is also true that the further you are from the net the more the shuttle will slow and the more troubble these players will get themselves into.

6. Bryan Wong

Bryan Wong Regular Member

I agree, but I think it's more than that; in the old days Momota had the physicality and anticipation to play a better neutral game.
    It lead to his opponents eventually taking shots that they tactically shouldn't have been taking; then he would win control of the rally from that point on. If they did get a good smash/drop/drive off, he was able to mostly absorb the attack and neutralise it again and again. His opponents did win points occasionally but it didn't matter in the whole scheme of things, he was in control of the overall game. If anyone's played MTG, it's like going up against Teferi control decks that just mill you and prevent you from playing your win condition until you suffocate and lose control completely.

These days it appears that if you have a big smash and you run to the net immediately with your racket up after you've smashed well, you have so much initiative that you'll almost certainly score against Momota. Perhaps it's telling that so many top mens singles players including Axelsen, LZJ, Li Shi Feng, Shi Yuqi, CTC, AA are all 1.80m or taller with an emphasis on power and reach. Lakshya Sen is himself 1.79m if I recall correctly; only LKY and Ginting are outliers in this respect (LKY being 1.75m tall and Ginting being 1.70m). The meta of the game seems to be steadily moving towards taller players because they are consistently stronger; control and court craft can be trained but height (maximum physical potential) cannot and the classic slower turn rate of larger players seems to be able to be overcome with simple power. Also I think just having less steps in your footwork (ala Chen Long vs Ginting) means less chances for deviations to occur and thus less mistakes overall, so even there taller and bigger players win.

This is all my observation, but I'd like to see Ginting overcome these giants with his guile and quick recovery.

Nonconvex and justiceforlcy like this.
  7. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

I don't really agree on this. Just because Momo is struggling now does not mean it is due to the height of his opponents. In the past, he would not give his opponents that many chances to smash as he would move them around the around, and lifting shots high and deep into the back court. In 2018-2019, Momo have a good record against VA, CTC, SYQ. Just look at the way he beat Antonsen in the WC19 final. On the other hand, he has problem playing against Ginting.

Shamwow likes this.
  8. - иεvvεи٭т -ツ

- иεvvεи٭т -ツ Regular Member

Wizard / Chief Potato
    His youtube channel has been deleted, it's been inactive for a while but would be nice to see some content again in the future.

9. Justafan90

I wonder why it was deleted?

10. r1cky_b3cks

r1cky_b3cks Regular Member

that’s wierd. maybe he really want to focus now?

11. wjsutanto

wjsutanto Regular Member

Professional Employee
    Your observation is on point. I also remember that during his peak time, Gill or Steen often were mentioning and explaining about how good Momota was in neutralizing shot. His neutralizing shot was so good that he didn't give any room for his opponents to make any good shot (Except for Ginting who was fast as hell and can take the shot earlier than Momota anticipated). That was the reason he was so dominant back then.

12. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Our boy is gonna be in INA Open. It's gonna be tough tough tough. Let's get the hopes high again real high

Justafan90 and Schultzier like this.
  13. Justafan90

Do we know the draw yet? I do have some hopes considering he won ina masters last yr but skipping it this year

14. Schultzier

Schultzier Regular Member

15. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Very poor display of Badminton against Zamke

16. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Momo is slow, and his endurance is so bad that i think Setiawan can outpace and outlast him.
    Plus he dun seems to enjoy the game, and lack conviction and confident.

17. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Age takes its toll on everyboody.

Father time is undefeated

18. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Post car accident and the resultant injury, has had effect on him no doubt but surprised that it's still affecting him severely after a year.
    Now, hard to see him back to his pre-accident level. He maybe finished!

19. Justafan90

Is he tired for some reason? Its like he is too tired towards the second half of the deciding game. Its definitely a match he could have won

20. Shamwow

Shamwow Regular Member

To be honest I'm just happy to see him competing again. Forget about the old Momota that was almost perfect in every way. This one is climbing back up from scratch since his accident and I'm here to see his journey climbing back to the top. It's going to take a lot more losses for him to get back but I know if anyone can do it, it's him.

Pcyl, yuon and lodoss like this.