Kento Momota (new thread)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by visor, May 12, 2020.

1. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

@samkool gave a good explanation of how to use mega.

Still let me rephrase, that was ULTRA low from syq!

Anyway that was my initial reaction after learning what he said. Leaving the match on match point was ridiculous enough. Then he dared said these things. That was utter utter bs.

He doesn't have to do anything tbh. Just lost my respect until he shows some good sportsmanship. Or if he has problems causing him to behave like that in which case I feel sorry for him.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Never mind about the usage of the word 'mega' , which can change over time, but as far as I'm concerned, for now, it has positive connotations and seldom used negatively; go and check it up in the top or best dictionaries.

So, you continue to enjoy hitting a man when he's down - that's ULTRA low from SYQ. You and your righteous indignation and moral high horse.

Apparently, the impact of SYQ's action is so much greater on you than it was on Momota, your idol and hero, and how dare SYQ denied him the inner satisfaction of taking the final point to its perfect conclusion.

I won't repeat what I wrote from the SYQ's thread here, and I don't supposed you bothered to read them as much as I think they are relevant to your moral-high-ground reaction.

I will hold you to the same high standard and expect you to do the same for every other athlete.

Allow me to end with a quote, 'to err is human, to forgive divine' (it is human nature to make mistakes oneself while finding it hard to forgive others).

#622 Justin L, Oct 18, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    LenaicM likes this.
  3. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Which part of my comment led you to think that I enjoy hitting a man down?

I even said 'unless he has some other factors causing him to behave in such a way'.

Mega is not associated with positive only. I'm sorry. Mega can be used in any context to express some big positive or negative. The expression, 'that's mega.' - bear in mind the full stop, that is used in positive context. Don't confuse the word and the expression. I used it as a standalone word. Hope it clarifies.

Stop arguing for the sake of arguing.

What SYQ did was not proper sportsmanship. That's all there is to it. For me to respect him again, I want to see him show more sportsmanship behaviour or something shows that he had reasonable cause to behave like this.

Momota is entitled to his views as a pro player. I am entitled to my views as a badminton watcher. Neither the views Momota or myself mattered.

#623 Quentin11, Oct 19, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Denialism. First in the Thomas - Uber Cups tournament thread for which I called you out ("next level intelligence"), then here twice, " MEGA " low, then " ULTRA " low.

Argument for argument's sake - you, not me.

I suggest you learn from your idol and hero, Momota, all the good points, including his take on SYQ. Enough said.

5. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

I suggest you go read all my comments about the SYQ issue. I requested you to read my comments on TU Cup thread. If you didn't read it that's your choice. But then you don't get to accuse me of denialism.

Next Level Intelligence that was obviously sarcastic. But I do maintain that what SYQ did was Mega and Ultra low. That still doesn't mean I like to hit a man down. Don't twist my words.

Again I repeat, I maintain what SYQ did was mega and ultra low and I will add HYPER low to it. However, I did say and I say again, I won't care about this if he shows good sportsmanship next time OR if there is reasonable cause which made him act in this way. This is called giving him benefit of doubt.

None of the above however means that I like to hit on a man already down. So stop your ridiculousness.

Momota can have his opinion and I have mine. Doesn't mean that if I am a fan of his badminton and style that I should also follow what he thinks on everything in badminton or in life. I have my own.

Additionally Momota is a pro player commenting on the mega, ultra and hyper low behaviour of another pro player in public. Obviously, he will manage his words. This is called acting politically. Doesn't guarantee that what he is saying he really means it from the bottom of his heart.

I can't believe I have to explain all of these things to you.

This is my last response to you on this matter.

#625 Quentin11, Oct 19, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    WhiteStringJunkie likes this.
  6. super-g

super-g Regular Member

Today during his match BWF commentators (Steen & Morten?) offered very grim view of Momota's current level:
    -Backhand defence is definitely worse now than before injury
    -Net game is worse than before injury
    -Ability to anticipate opponent's shots is worse than before injury
    -They suspected Momota still can't see very well, causing the issues above
    -Maybe he won't get to the same level again
    -He has been great asset to badminton

Woesi likes this.
  7. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Well that all sounds positive and encouraging. It has me wondering what they would have said had he lost the match? o_O

How did the game go, incidentally? I wasn't able to watch it.

8. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Well, at least we're not imagining that he's currently quite a bit from his best. There's already narratives going around that all other players have gotten better (lol) and that he's basically just the same as before. On a more positive note, both SP and MF also said in the past weeks, there were glimpses of his top form and then dips - Steen used Jan Jorgensen as an example who had mentioned that being a year away from competion is absolutely brutal for your body and your game. Steen also said how important confidence was and that a tournament win could improve that. So it is not all doom and gloom. ;)

The game itself was unspectacular. His usual bad start (2-6) down, but then he had no problems with an opponent who's not at his level. KM's smash was more effective today, imo, and I can't remember him being ever really caught out on the backhand defense like he was before. It is generally hard to judge quality and speed compared to the previous tournaments, because the camera angle is much steeper.
    MF concluded that it was a good performance.

kurako and KhoaHa like this.
  9. WhiteStringJunkie

WhiteStringJunkie Regular Member

This Justin guy, dude. Got plentitude of thoughts on his mind on people's outtakes about SYQ, doesn't he.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Nonconvex, trizzforce and Quentin11 like this.
  10. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

I hope that weak defense against smashes particularly coming from backhand side of his opponents to his forehand isn't because of his sight or ability to anticipate.

I hope it is just because he still haven't found his game yet and a good strategy to play opponents with powerful smashes untill he gets back to form.

But I do think his opponents stamina are better than they were before. Still not quite at Momota 2019 level. But certainly enough to run with this current Momota and attack him whenever needed. The problem becomes two fold for Momota now because of the enhanced stamina of the opponents for one and for two his defense isn't as good as before. His basic game isn't as good as before. None of the aspects he has is as good as before. So he can no longer outlast his opponents and he no longer have any quality shots to make the opponents run for all the rallies.

Why I think of the above is because VA changed his game. He was capable of beating everyone except Momota. His issue, stamina. But he improved that he started rallying and running and retrieving. All while keeping his powerful steep attacks. It is a certainty for VA. I think others are doing the same too. And the new players are all fitness beasts.

If Momota will not find his level any time soon. He will need a get out of jail shot or pattern which can guarantee him winning the point. This will help him and give him some confidence. I wonder why he isn't doing his neutral shots as much as before now.

11. Cunning Linguist

Who's that?
    Please don't say Anders Antonsen or Lee Zii Jia. :confused:
    From KV or LSF we have barely seen full tournaments, let alone a full season against adult opponents. And I don't see any "new" players apart from these two that are even worth mentioning.

12. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

The likes of Kantaphon Wangcharoen, Kunlavut Vitidsarn, Heo Kwanghee and so on. These guys are more fitness based than anything. The thing that are holding back their game I feel for now is experience. Nan LSF isn't among those who rely on pure fitness.

Anyway these guys are a lot more comfortable even at this level doing the running game like let's say compared to a young Ginting or a young VA.

13. cococo

cococo Regular Member

Brian Yang also is another physical player.

I noticed a few others too with high skill level but low ranking and I'm not sure they will get the development opportunities they need to reach the next level so I won't name them yet. But if they did,I think they would be ones to look out for.

Sent from my SM-A307GN using Tapatalk

Quentin11 likes this.
  14. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Changed his loopy swing to a compact, standard, coach-taught, within the syllabus, textbook one.

Quentin11 likes this.
  15. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Yes Yang too. Agreed.

Yes it is mostly clears or direct drops now. I can't see him doing the neutral shots when he is late to the shuttle.

If he drops the opponents will do net shots and he will have to run to the front

If he does the not very good clears the opponents will smash and he cannot defend then he will get dejected.

With the neutral shots he had time to come to net as the opponents were not able to do tight net shots from the neutral shots. But they started to read the neutral shots and were starting to kill it. The solution for that to me would not be to completely eliminate the neutral shots but mix it with the drops and clears. Vary the shots but still use it.

Nine Tailed Fox and cococo like this.
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

越描越黑 -
    lit. the more you touch things up, the darker they get
    fig. to only make matters worse

17. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

18. Cunning Linguist

You do realize when you list these "new fitness beasts" that all of them lost in the first round of this very tournament? That between them, they've won even less than LZJ? KV is certainly a talent, but Katantaphon Wangchareon? The guy has a record of 151-113 and lost half of his matches this year (with DK Open, he's now lost more than he's won). And to top it off, you mention Loh Kean Yew.
    If any of these players ever become a real problem for KM, he might just pack it in, because then he'd have fallen off completely and is nothing more than a top 20 player. He's a lot better than that, even in his current form, so I don't get why you'd even list these guys.

He's now in week 3 of his comeback after 1 1/2 years (you can count AE and OG for 5 weeks, but they were rather fragmented from normal tournament business imo). Let's be a little more patient before we throw in the towel.

#638 Cunning Linguist, Oct 20, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    pali.69 likes this.
  19. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

100% agree and I am not saying that they are the best or anything.

What I am saying is rather compared to a young ginting or a young axelsen. They are already able to run in the rallies. In addition to that they have quite powerful attacks. That doesn't mean they don't have weaknesses. But for Momota it becomes a bit challenging especially the way he is now. I see however that he dispatched Popov with relative ease. So all good. Seems the weaknesses of Popov were more easily exploited by Momota.

I do think however that the ability to run + powerful attacks is making it a bit tougher for Momota to beat them the way he is now.

Yes still early. Let's see

Cunning Linguist likes this.
  20. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Momota played well to thrash Kidambi in straights 21-9, 21-7. Of course unforced errors by Kidambi helped. Easier win means he'll be fresh for friday match against Jonathan.