K. Srikanth क्. स्रिकनथ्

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by scorpion1, Dec 1, 2012.

1. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Even Taufik in his prime was massively attacking. Rally style is passive but necessary for ageing players. We will see how Srikanth style holds up in the future deep into tournaments against quality defenders for 3 or 4 rounds in a row. If he can deal with the physicality of it.

2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yup, that's why I said in another thread that LD's style of tai chi badminton would not survive.

3. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    A very convincing and solid performance by KS. Adapting similar style of play against VA today will surely makes him a far favorite to lift this year IO SS, the first Indian player to do such fate.

He just need to keep his pace of offensive lock at the right timing in order to produce constant rhythm of pressure with lesser physical demand so that KS can maintain his tempo of attacking style of play through out all the sets.

4. Lokesh

Lokesh Regular Member

business
    He is slowly raising to stardom. Hope nothing goes to his head. Yesterday, i watched his match against the chinese player xue song via recorded videos from Youtube. I must say that he was very much pumped up coupled with crowd cheering for him. For me, he has a vast range of shots in his store. His unorthodox strokes makes players guessing for a fraction of second which makes the difference. Due to the physical nature of his game, he may tend to make mistakes when an extraordinary defense player is his opponent.

5. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Congrats to Srikanth for winning the IOSS.
    It was a joy to watch him play.

What will be his rank after this?

6. Lokesh

Lokesh Regular Member

business
    Congrats to srikanth Kidambi for winning India Open Superseries title and making history in Indian Badminton.

His ranking will increase to 3 ?.. I dont think so.

7. Lokesh

Lokesh Regular Member

business
    BAI announced 5 Lakhs rupees for his this historic achievement.. I mean $8000

8. Airos

Airos Regular Member

I am not very good at this: but I think he will gain 9200-3600=5600 points.
    which will make his total points: 69337.
    Making him #3.

9. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Srikanth's Rank will be 4 still. He will have 69337 and LD in 3rd rank will have 70500. Jan O and Chen Long are are few thousand ahead of that.

10. renbo

renbo Regular Member

What strikes me in SK's style is his killer instinct. If anything loose come his way, he do not hesitate a fraction of a millisecond and hit a winner. I am eager to see him play more with players without too much loose shots to see how it goes (I mean, Chen Long and this kind, perhaps LHI in the coming MO).

11. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    yeah, a match against chen long would be very helpful for him as he will get to know his weaknesses and work on them, apart from a couple of big players i think srikanth now has good enough a game to challenge and probably beat any other top twenty player in the world, there's this bunch of players who are almost equal in terms of skills and overall game and anyone can beat anyone on their day that's for sure. i think sri needs to work on his physique a little bit. .he's too lean, he needs to work on his physical fitness more.

12. Lokesh

Lokesh Regular Member

business
    I found this interview after Indian Open with NDTV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuANA1WqhDQ

Gopichand and srikanth answered nicely.

For eg:

Lady to srikanth: People asking for autographs?

srikanth : (smiles) ... yayyyyyyyyyyy

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Talent that makes Srikanth

The Star Online

by joash ee de silva

[​IMG]

KUALA LUMPUR: Sometimes people are born with natural talent.

And farmer’s son K. Srikanth of India is one of them. He and his brother, K. Nandagopal are the first in his family to become sportsmen and they have proven to be successful.

Nandagopal is trying to make his mark in the doubles but Srikanth is already making a strong presence in the men’s singles.

When asked to explain his sudden rise to prominence, Srikanth said badminton was something he grew into.

I started playing when I was 10 and got serious when I was 16. It was not magic but purely hard said Srikanth, who has jumped from 31 to fourth in the world rankings.

“I’m happy being at the top as everybody wants to be here. But it’s going to get tougher from now on so I will need to improve everyday.”

The highlight of his career was when he caused a major upset by defeating Lin Dan 21-19,21-17 at the China Open in November last year.

Now the 22-year-old is determined to win his third trophy in a row at this week’s Malaysian Open after bagging the Indian Open last week and the Swiss Open earlier this month.

On Wednesday, he had a tough first round match against England’s Rajiv Ouseph which he won 21-10, 15-21, 21-16.

“I gave it a 100% and Ouseph played very well. I also made a lot of mistakes and gave him too much time to recover.

“This is my third international tournament this month. I’m a bit tired.”

Srikanth will face Tian Houwei in the second round. The Chinese defeated Malaysia’s sole representative Zulfadli Zulkiffli in the first round.

14. Lokesh

Lokesh Regular Member

business

Uncle Loh, Thanks for this poster. :)

15. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I know it's not really important and probably nit-picking, but the score vs. Ouseph was 21-10, 15-21, 24-22.

https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/draw.aspx?id=C79DF254-6C04-4D4F-BAD9-38D0E93FD0FB&draw=2

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I'm also interested in SK's progress.

Yes his game against Ouseph was too close for comfort. But he still prevailed - a mark of a champion.

17. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    A bit uncharitably, I'd think that Lin Dan said so only because K Srikanth beat him.

I stand by my earlier comments (posted in December 2014) about K Srikanth.

His current game is fast and exciting and powerful and cracking and whatever else you want to call it. But, like the other players I mentioned, he is a 'one-plan-only' player. And one-plan players seldom last for long.

(If you haven't noticed it yet, take a look at the performances of Kento Momota and Chou Tien Chen this year. CTC was packed off by Xue Song last week and routed by Wang Zhengming yesterday - 11-21 11-21.)

K Srikanth will continue this fantastic run until he runs into players who have dissected his game and found its greatest weakness - the lack of a Plan B. It is worth noting that he has consistently failed against patient players (Son Wan Ho, Jan O Jorgensen, Chen Long, etc).

In his three encounters with Chen Long, he had games in which he scored 10 or fewer points!
    In his six encounters with Son Wan Ho, he has won only the first two matches. The last four matches were won by the Korean.

Now, is this because Son Wan Ho is better than everyone else?
    Or is it because K Srikanth has only one game plan?

I have the greatest respect for K Srikanth's ongoing achievements. But, IMHO, this cannot go on unless he develops the ability to change his game based on the opponent's. At this moment in time, his game is still what it was in mid-2014 - very predictable. His newness, his speed and his power are still holding him on course. But what after his rivals become used to those 'advantages'?

Srikanth doesn't yet have the adaptability of a Lin Dan or a Taufik Hidayat or a Lee Chong Wei. When he gains that adaptability, he will have a longer reign than he will have if he doesn't.

18. trackwhack

trackwhack Regular Member

wowie ... comparing a 22 year old newbie to about a dozen WCH and OG there.

I do hope you realize that LD TH scoreline is some 15-2 in TH favour.

Even the greatest takes time to develop.

I find your arguments quite unconvincing as there are many players who struggle against a certain kind of play. While you say SWH has cracked SK, I say SK will sooner or later find a way to crack SWH and CL.

It takes time for a natural talent like SK to figure out his own strengths against all kinds of play. As far as I've seen, in the last one year, he has been the best technician bar none in mens singles.

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Oldhand, how about giving some tips to SK on his Plan B?

He can't be like LD, TH or LCW but he has at least beaten LD and also learned from that encounter.

I suppose the more exposure he has with as many top rate players will help him develop his Plan B or even Plan C, of course with the help of his coach.

#179 Loh, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  20. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    You are misunderstanding my comments.

I am not denying the excellence of K Srikanth.
    I'm merely opining that he needs to develop an adaptable game if his run of success is to continue for long.
    If not, he will end up being another Ji Xinpeng, a star that faded as quickly as it was born.

And, by the way, I wasn't comparing K Srikanth with Lin Dan.
    In fact, there is really no comparison (at least not yet).
    By the time he was 22, Lin Dan had already won 21 titles.