just strung my 4th racket ever

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Lithium381, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Lithium381

Lithium381 Regular Member

Retail Employee
    I'm using the eagnas st200 for reference. racket is a yangyang sensation 900. I put BG80 on there at 25lb(24 on main, 25 on cross). I missed a single cross near the top, 5th string down, about 25% across. Am I screwed? is this going to either break the string prematurely or will it affect my hitting power? it took me almost two hours, then again it's my first string in almost 4 months since i twisted my ankle and haven't played in a while..and only my 4th total.:(

2. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    i personally havnt done this or had it on my racket, but my girlfriend had her racket strung last jan and the stringer missed one pretty much where your saying and her string only broke last week, that was at 22lbs

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. Usually, cross should be 10% higher than main, unless your machine has special setup or being modified.

2. If the missing cross is a bit close to the sweet spot, then your string tends to break faster, as the main will suffer a lot, without the cross support. Also, if you indeed hitting the spot, the impact might be strange, as it will be less solid. The shuttle might even got stuck in between strings, if the gap is big enough.

If you have the time and willing to do a better job, better cut it and re-do it. ;)

4. Lithium381

Retail Employee
    thanks LB for the advice. I'll try it out tonight and see what happens. i'm probably going to restring in a few weeks anyway. like i said, it takes me two hours, and a sore neck! i remembered the 10% rule after having done my mains at 24lb and didn't want to go much higher on the cross, due to my inexperience and the racket having some chips in it. On another note, is there a guide toreplacing grommets? i got a bag of them and some of mine look like they could use a replacement.

5. punchclear

punchclear Regular Member

Check this thread out, particularly posts #7 onwards...;)
    Grommets...

Hope this helps...:)

6. Lithium381

Retail Employee
    well it worked out fine, for me anyway. I was at a loss of power to begin with since i went up in tension. 25lb is a lot more than 21!!!! by the end of the evening i had it figured out. I'll restring before the next tournament anyway and replace grommets and all