Just another Racket Recommendation

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by arsm, Oct 15, 2020.

1. arsm

arsm New Member

Hi there. Just asking for a racket recommendation. I read a few posts but really couldn't make my mind. Most suggestions are outside my budget...

So, I started playing almost 2 years ago with a friend and people from the office, all very casual. Now I'm only playing with my friend once a week, but I want to join some club since it's the only way to get more 1 or 2 times a week to play. So, I'd say I'm probably a beginner since never really focused on technique, it was really for fun...

I prefer singles but I'll probably end up playing both. I think my style of game is more attacking but don't have much power. I do struggle with clears particularly with plastic shuttles (I know it's all about technique but still want to replace my £10 racket). But I'll also play with feathers.

From what I read, I think a Head-Heavy, Flexible/medium and 4U (maybe 3U but my shoulder is not great). For strings, I was thinking something like bg65 at 22lbs.

I'm from UK, a woman (if this makes any difference) and my budget is around £50//£60. I was thinking of a Yonex Astrox 6 or 7, but not sure. Can't even decide between those and I'm open for other suggestions. I tend to look for Yonex but can always go for other brands.

Any help would be appreciated..

Thank You.

2. MoonJogger

MoonJogger Regular Member

Sometimes it's easier to give recommendations if we know about your old racket, and try to make comparisons from there.

It's true that a head heavy racket will give more power for clears and smashes IF you have the right techniques. But a head heavy racket will also slow your maneuvers. So it's a trade off.

I suggest that you look into even balance or head light rackets and flexible shaft that will give you a good balance of speed and power.

Yonex nanoflare series, is a good racket to start as they are advertised to give you further flight on your shots. Although they are head light rackets.

Checkout nanoflare 160 or 270, they are around your budget.

Also for strings, you may want to look into repulsion type strings such as bg66 ultimax, aerosonic, bg98. They are thin strings, you may want to start from 24-26lbs...from there you can try changing the tension for the next restring.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-A750GN using Tapatalk

3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

If its just for fun, well any racket are good to go as it wont make much different.

But if you interest to learn some technique, i guest its along journey for you. For starter you can tell your current racket & tell us what you feel from it. From there we can help you to where should we go.

As for racket itself, Astrox 7 are good choice. Also i have try some friend racket like Astrox Smash which also nice racket to.

4. arsm

arsm New Member

I'm getting convinced by the Nanoflare 270. IT's a bit outside the budget but I've seen really good reviews in terms of being easy for clear and overall feeling of the racket and some people prefer it compared with more expensive similar models.

The small lost of power when smashing I don't like it so much. But well, you can't have everything.

I still have to gain a bit of "courage" to spend the money and to make sure I'll use it often. Because if I'm playing once a week only is not worth it...

Thank You for your help

5. arsm

arsm New Member

I'd like to make a bit more than just for fun.

To be honest, most of the time I was borrowing from a friend and I don't really know which one is and characteristics... I think it lacks a bit of power... But its a bit old and likely original strings, so, might be because of that...

That Astrox 7 it's still on my list and I'll have a look into the Astrox Smash.

Thank you for your help

6. MoonJogger

MoonJogger Regular Member

I own the Nf270, and yes I also prefer this racket over my astrox55, astrox 77, duora10lt. It's so much easier to play with. Every shots are easy to do and I dont think my smashes are lacking any power at all. Yes, the mass of the head is less, but the speed is more and it's making my smashes faster and as equally hard as when I'm using my astroxs.

Sent from my SM-A750GN using Tapatalk

7. Budi

Budi Regular Member

as you dont have any racket & considering today pademic that still going wild, it would be wise to bring your own equipment & it will be your starting point to explore in badminton world.

I start badminton the same as you just for having fun with friend, but i guest i had good luck:D. I meet friendly skilled player & willing to play with me a noob. Teach me all the basic thing. When i grow better, im starting to play with their group, being beaten by many skilled player & at the same time get some nice advice. & finally i meet a coach training young kids on neighbour court. We know each other on court, become friend, & sometimes get free coaching/advice:p. But i guest not everyone can be as lucky as me.

So the next thing i would like to advice are:
    when you had some money again after this, hold your self to get new racket. Spend it for a coach which will benefit you better in a long run.

8. arsm

arsm New Member

I really end up going for NF270! Is delivered tomorrow!
    Thank You for your help :)

9. arsm

arsm New Member

I'm currently still on the stage of being beaten my my friend all the time xD But yeah, that was lucky :)

I'm still trying to decide how much I want to invest on time and money in badminton! Bought the racket already because wanted to have my own. In the clubs I've tried I get the feeling that I will get more playing time (and that's already good), but not so sure how much I will improve... So coaching would be good, but it's also a different type of commitment...

Anyway, thank you for your advice :)

10. Budi

Budi Regular Member

no need for full commitment unless you aim for big tournament or become a pro. Little commitment just to get the proper basic technique would still be good for you.

1. To prevent injury due to wrong technique. For example : My friend a martial art freak (he join alot of thing like Karate, Taekwondo, Jujitsu, etc). When he play badminton with us just for fun, he basically punch the shuttle with his racket & never swing it. For quite a while he play with us & out of sudden his shoulder pop out (dislocate) due to his own punching force.

2. Get a base skill.
    Like building, a well made base structure will give you wide option to build your building. At the very least having the basic skill & from there you can improve yourself to master each shot type you like. I play for quite long & if i look back, for those early year, i just abuse my excesive power on every shot coz i dont know what is drop shot, what is clear shot. All i know is smash smash & smash. But when i learn the basic skill, my skill growth improve faster than before.
    Find a friend to learn together under a coach, it will motivate you more. Become his/her partner & also rival. Grow together, & catching up each other.

11. Steff

Steff New Member

if you are in UK use www.stringersworld.com demo service. Take few rackets from them to try.
    You pay only postage costs.

Do not choose racket by reading about it on internet. There is a plenty of marketing rubbish.
    Join a club first, other members will help you with a racket.
    Start some training and you might find that you prefer something different than you thought.
    Buying a racket with no skills is like buying a car without a driving licence.