Jonatan Christie

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by markuswair, Jul 7, 2013.

1. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Very handsome... Never seen him play before...

2. dominikk1985

dominikk1985 Regular Member

clinical science
    not sure about that. I watched some videos and he did show big time power (most of the time he is not even jumping on his smashes) but he also had great hands and deadly drop shots. I'm not sure if he is really fast though. he has a very strong built, maybe he could become too stocky when he is fully grown?

3. markuswair

markuswair Regular Member

Student
    which videos did you watch? I have merely watched him on Indonesia IC and Indonesia GPG on the local TV and he certainly out-power and out-speed his opponents, including wr #27 alamsyah on Indonesia IC final last september. His most noticeable weakness is that his netting is still too raw

4. indrg

indrg Regular Member

I wish he can be as half as good as THW. How old is he now?

5. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Too stocky like Sho Sasaki? I hope not.

6. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Jonatan can't even manage a rubber-set in ASIAN GAMES?

7. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

17 y.o. (DOB : 15/09/1997).

Yup, he's still green and needs more time to develop his skill, experience, mental strength. Just hope he's not overrated player, we'll see how his improvement in next tourneys ;)

8. sen

sen Regular Member

If people is comparing Jo with Taufik, then I would say he is overrated.

But I think Jo can improve. I hope he finds a suitable coach who can develop him.

9. indrg

indrg Regular Member

How come Jo is not active in the IC, GP? He has to play as many tournaments as possible.

10. badMania

badMania Regular Member

He is participating in the Dutch Open GP and just beat Eric Pang in 5-sets: 11-8, 9-11, 4-11, 11-6, 11-10 (having saved 2 match pts in the last set). His next opponent is Chan Yan Kit. Not an easy one either for a place in the last 8.

11. winzerer

winzerer Regular Member

JC into QF Dutch Open GP beat Yan Kit Chan 11-4 4-11 11-10 11-7 and to meet Another Ina's youngster Ihsan Maulana Mustofa

12. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Another IC Final for Jonatan Christie today and he will surely rise up to about WR130 by next Thursday. If he can beat Ng Ka Long, he will be in the top 125.

This is the way to go for Jo and other young MS players like Firman, Ihsan, and Anthony Ginting. They need to be sent to IC and GP tourneys consistently to rake up points to reach at least the top 50 in the World (at least 30k ranking pts).

Both Jo and Ihsan have also gained significant mileage and progress in terms of playing experience in the past 2 European tourneys. Jo played 4 matches in the Dutch Open GP and will have played the full 8 matches by the time he plays in the Final later today and he has beaten:
    1. Eric Pang (seeded 4th in the Dutch Open GP who just reached the QF of World Championships 2014 in Aug this year)
    2. Chan Yan Kit (another seasoned HK player)
    3. Arvind Bhat (seeded 6th in the Swiss IC, yet another seasoned player who won the German Open GP this year)
    4. Andre Kurniawan Tedjono (seeded 4th in the Swiss IC and a veteran from PB Djarum who's still ranked in the top 50 in the World)

As for Ihsan Maulana Mustofa, he has played the full 6 matches in the Dutch Open GP 2014 and 5 matches in the Swiss IC 2014. He has beaten:
    1. Dmytro Zadavsky (seeded 8th in the Dutch Open GP 2014)
    2. Jonatan Christie (it's good to see the rivalries between young INA players to spur them to reach greater heights).
    3. Andre Kurniawan Tedjono (seeded 9th in the Dutch Open GP 2014).

Ihsan was very unlucky to have lost to Ajay Jayaram in the Final of the Dutch Open GP 2014 and to Ng Ka Long in R16 of the Swiss IC 2014; despite leading in the decider set. Hopefully, these losses will increase his focus in the future matches.

13. indrg

indrg Regular Member

What is his racket now BTW in Sudirman Cup? victor BS 10 2nd gen?

14. XoXoXo

XoXoXo Regular Member

After saw his performance at Sudirman Cup against Hsu Jen Hao and Chen Long. I think he has X Factor ;)

Young Jonatan Christie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#34 XoXoXo, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
  15. XoXoXo

XoXoXo Regular Member

[​IMG]
    Jonatan was given a badminton lesson by world No. 1 Chen Long, when he lost 10-21, 15-21 in the Sudirman Cup semi-final tie. - AFP

Source: http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2015/05/16/China-crush-Indonesia-to-reach-Sudirman-final/

DONGGUAN: Indonesia failed to topple mighty China in the semi-finals of the Sudirman Cup but youngster Jonatan Christie still came out of it feeling like a winner.

The 17-year-old Christie was given the rare opportunity to take on world champion and world No. 1 Chen Long in the men's singles tie.

World No. 63 Jonathan was no match for Chen Long, who won 21-10, 21-15 at the Donfeng Nissan Sports Centre, as China ran out 3-1 winners to reach their 11th straight final in the biennial mixed team event.

China’s other points were delivered by Li Xuerui (women's singles) and Tang Yuanting-Yu Yang (women's doubles).

Indonesia's sole point came from 2013 men's doubles world champions Mohd Ahsan-Hendra Setiawan, who downed veterans Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng 21-16, 21-17.

Jonatan, who played a superbly to beat Taiwan's world No. 24 Hsu Jen-hao in the quarter-finals, was pleased with the experienced gained from playing against Chen Long.

“I was playing against the world No. 1 and I got pretty nervous, especially during the opening game,” said the Jakarta-born shuttler.

“He has such a solid defence and I couldn’t get anything past him because he was picking up everything.

“I’m still way behind the top players ... I’m not quite ready yet. I still have a lot more to learn ... maybe, in two years’ time, I’ll be ready.

“But I’m really grateful for the opportunity to play in the Sudirman Cup.

“I've learned a lot – in terms of mental preparation and how to handle a big-match atmosphere like this.

“Right now, the Indonesia team’s singles shuttlers are all youngsters – there’s me, Firman (Abdul Kholik) and Ihsan (Maulana Mustofa).

“It’s been a useful experience for us and it will help us in the long run.”

With Indonesia’s senior players, like world No. 11 Tommy Sugiarto, no longer part of the national team, the plan to blood youngsters like Jonatan is certainly a progressive move.

Jonatan’s next outing will be the Singapore SEA Games from June 5-16. He is a dark horse for the gold medal.

16. indrg

indrg Regular Member

No youngsters in any SP events? How about INA PSS next week? In Sea Games the favourite in MS is Datuk LCW still.

17. indrg

indrg Regular Member

I am answering my own question.

The MS Qualification in INA SSP Open has many INA MS youngsters:

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=634466&dl=1

18. Ochy3424

Ochy3424 Regular Member

But in Sea Games LCW will play in team event only, not individual.

19. indrg

indrg Regular Member

What about THA's Boonsak and Tanongsak?

20. Ochy3424

Ochy3424 Regular Member

Yeah they both fav to be winner.
    Just hope Jonatan will give his best performance in Sea Games.