Jenny Wallwork is Nathan Robertson's New Mixed Doubles Partner

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by mirko, Aug 22, 2008.

1. mirko

mirko Regular Member

Emms turning matchmaker for Robertson

GAIL EMMS has vowed to turn matchmaker in a bid to find Nathan Robertson a new badminton mixed doubles partner.

Athens mixed doubles silver medalist Emms quit after Beijing, leaving Robertson – her partner of seven years – all alone.

“There are three girls coming through the ranks, Jenny Wallwork, Gabby White and Imogen Bankier, who are all worth considering,” she revealed.

“Nathan says he is missing me already but he needs a new challenge and a fresh race. It’s going to be a shock for him working with someone new after all these years with me.

“He’s joked he might hold some X-Factor style auditions to find the right girl but it’s great that we’ve got some much talent coming through.

“But it’s not always the best player, it’s the person who has the right chemistry with Nathan that will get the chance.”

Robertson and Emms have enjoyed one of sport’s closest partnerships but failed to match their Athens success in China – losing in the quarter- finals to Korea’s Yongdae Lee and Hyojung Lee.

“We’ve played together for seven years so it will be tough for whoever comes in,” added Emms. “I’m going to be available to help the new partner, probably as a therapist because Nathan is an incredibly gifted player but also very demanding.

“I found him incredibly easy to play with from the start but it will be very scary for whoever steps in.

“I won’t be a coach but I’ll be there to help with the chemistry of the pair.

“In 2012 I’ll probably feel like a jealous ex-girlfriend but I’m going to be there for them all the way.”

Emms will finish her 13- year professional career in Denmark’s competitive badminton league and has signed up to run next year’s London Marathon.

But the 31-year old admits watching the 2012 Olympics from the stands will be hard.

“Rebecca Romero is such an inspiration, winning two medals in two different disciplines.

I’m looking what medal I could compete in and for 2012 see what sport I could pick up,” she joked.

“I need an active sport I am looking at wrestling, women wrestling, I didn’t even know it existed until I saw it on TV!”

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/3614266.Emms_turning_matchmaker_for_Robertson/

2. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I Vote for Wallwork (not that there is a vote)

White is too young really, and Bankier will probably stay with fellow scot Blair, as they are at similar player level relatively.

Wallwork had experience with Blair and did OK (Reached Dutch open Final?), so she is tailor made IMO.

3. metalmon1188

metalmon1188 Regular Member

yea agreed, gabby white is a good player but shes too young, imogen, well better stick to blair :p
    so JENNY WALLWORK IT IS!

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I have to admit that I don't know all 3 players very well.

However, with 2012 is 4 yrs away, don't you think give younger players a chance with top world level player is a good shot for the future? Sure, she might fail, or the pair does not work out well, but you still has a chance to go with the more experienced player later.

If you play safe and go with the more established player, if things don't turn out good, it might be too late to get to the young guns later? :rolleyes:

5. tommy_bun

tommy_bun Regular Member

Jenny Wallaork or Gabriel White

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Of course, we don't decide, someone infinitely more qualified does.

White is 18 and Wallwork is 21, so both are still fairly young.

White has a regular XD & WD partner, Wallwork doesn't. And with Wallwork having history of good results with solid partner (Dutch open win, China Open QF). She could not be classed as regular either, she has not entered a lot of tournaments. With White, you would split her up with a partner with potential and you don't know how she will perform when put into grandprix events - so could waste valuable time if need to change back.

#6 jamesd20, Aug 25, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  7. mirko

mirko Regular Member

Who’s the “next Gail ?”
    [​IMG]
    Gail Emms and Nathan Robertson have played their last match under the British flag as a pair, losing to the future Olympic Gold Medalist in China. Now, Gail has announced her retirement from International Badminton while Nathan Robertson is still hungry for more.. but needs a new partner.

Raphael Sachetat. Photos : Badmintonphoto (archives)

[​IMG]
    “"In 2012 I'll probably feel like a jealous ex-girlfriend but I'm going to be there for Nathan and his new partner." These were the words of Gail Emms quoted in the daily newspaper “the Milton Keynes Citizen” after she kept her word by retiring from the National team. The Blond hard working girl from Milton Keynes has vowed to help her long time partner to get a new face for upcoming challenges.

[​IMG]
    Three Names are pending according to Emms, who knows her team mates by heart : Jenny Wallwork (right, below), Gabby White (left) and Imogen Bankier (right), the latter being from Scotland but a promising young player as well. Emms however warns whoever will take her spot : "I'm going to be available to help the new partner, probably as a therapist because Nathan is an incredibly gifted player but also very demanding. I found him incredibly easy to play with from the start but it will be very scary for whoever steps in” laughed the Athens Silver medalist.

If Emms will probably keep on playing for her Danish club for at least
    [​IMG]

another year, Nathan Roberston indeed faces a new challenge as his partner was known as one of the most reliable player of the old continent, and replacing her will not be easy.

Ahead, for whoever takes Gail’s spot, are many important tournaments, starting with Super Series events this fall, but most of all, the European Championships in 2009, held in Liverpool.

http://badzine.info/index.php?optio...he-next-gail-&catid=8:international&Itemid=39

8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Errr... I vote for the cutest one :D:D. But seriously, it'll probably be Wallwork. Remember, the person stepping in has to put up with Robertson's demanding personaity, so...

9. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    If looks were the decider, Imogen Bankier would take that slot (although someone here has something going for Wallwork) :p
    But, as LazyBuddy pointed out, the next OG is a long leap away.
    That should give Gabby White enough time to fill Emms' (um, large) shoes.

After all, what England is aiming for is gold at the 2012 Games, and not the title at the, er, Sudan Open 2009 :rolleyes:

10. mirko

mirko Regular Member

Imogen Bankier plays with robert blair, isn´t she?

11. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

shouldn't we be looking for the new younger pairs for the OG 2012, NR will be in his 30s then and too old for the modern game!

12. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Two words: Zhang Ning

13. mirko

mirko Regular Member

14. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

it's much more physical demanding for the man in XD than MD. praticularly as NR's game is mainly rely on speed and powerplay and being on the wrong side of the 30 definitely not good.

one word: exactly.

you are not saying them two are in the same league, are you? there are so many things that the 2 times olympic champion, world champion can do and the others can't!

15. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Yes

Incidentally Wallwork may be partnered with White in the Womens Doubles (remember Kellogg has no partner now either)

16. d65up2

d65up2 Regular Member

Student
    How bout Suzane Rayapan or Liza Parker

17. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    I think Rayapan may be a better choice for Nathan

18. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    I managed to yalk to Tan Kim Her and he confirmed that Jenny Walwork is more likely to be partner of NR

19. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    You should have listened to us earlier............Rayapann?!:confused::confused:

:D:D

Good luck to them.

20. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    :D I did ask that....but been told that Rayapan prefers Lindley........;) He thought that Rayapan would be better with NR.... my guess is not 100% wrong.......