Japan Open 4/7(Day 3)

Discussion in 'Thailand Open / Japan Open 2005' started by Ahlut, Apr 6, 2005.

1. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I have a lot of respect for Danish badminton players, especially Peter Gade, whom I think is Badminton's messanger. I also think that Peter and Kenneth are two of the most sporting characters in the scene. However, some of the remarks by Danish fans in this forum are not very nice, I hope they can emulate their heroes (mine as well).

2. Johansen

Johansen Regular Member

As far as I remember Kenneth has beaten Lee Chong Wei 2 out of the last 3 times they have meet. I do thing that Kenneth is better to meet the young ones than Peter. Peter has had some big troubles against the youngsters the last couples of months.
    What do you mean that the danish fans not are very nice?

Regards
    Johansen
    www.badminton-nyt.dk

3. AustrianPower

AustrianPower Regular Member

What`s all this?

I always hear that Gade is not on his top level. What the hell? He is - of course. You will see that tomorrow.

Don`t understand these silly quotes. He cannot win every match!! Who can?

4. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I wouldn't say KJ has any particular edge on that one...

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PLAYER HEAD-TO-HEAD[/font]

DEN National Authority MAS
    3 Jul 1974 Date of Birth 21 Oct 1982
    Herning
    Place of Birth -
    Height -
    -
    Weight -
    Right Right/Left Handed -

Year Tournament & Nation Round Winner Score
    AVIVA OPEN SINGAPORE 2004 SINGAPORE Gold Medal Final JONASSEN 15-3 17-15 15-4
    2004 NOONNOPPI KOREA OPEN 2004 KOREA 1/16 LEE 4-15 3-15
    DENMARK OPEN 2003 DENMARK 1/16 LEE 15-10 11-15 7-15

Team Tournaments
    Year Tournament & Nation Round Winner Score
    2004 Copenhagen Masters 2004 DENMARK TEAM JONASSEN 15-10 17-14
    2003 Copenhagen Masters 2003 DENMARK TEAM JONASSEN 15-5 17-14

Quite a few danish fans seem to be slightly "arrogant" when talking about their champions performances, when Gade or Jonassen themselves are much more modest and respectful of their opponents. :rolleyes:

5. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Yes, Gade is at his top level, whereas Taufik isn't (as can be read in this article : http://www.worldbadminton.net/Portal/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=10&ItemID=1757)

So Gade clearly has the edge here, though Taufik is always unpredictable as he is a genius! :p

6. Badmincraze

Badmincraze Regular Member

Same here :D . It has been a long long time since Bao truimph over Lin... ...

7. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    as for WS, i find that Jiang YanJiao, Lu Lan, Wang Chen and Pi Hongyan are on rather good streaks. maybe they can go on and overcome their next opponent bah.

as for MS, i have mixed feelings, on one hand i hope LCW will win, but i doubt so this time round, though i'm not looking at his records with Jonassen. Lin Dan should overcome Bao, as he has a far stronger mentality and will. whereas it doesn't matter Gade or Taufik win or lose, as both of them are worthy opponents and should be a really interesting match.

my bet with Chen Hong to overcome the other Chen. but i suck in my predictions.

8. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

i haven't noticed any 'misbehaviour' of danish fans in BF .. :confused::rolleyes:

9. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Come on guys, time to chill, relax and enjoy :cool:. It's too late to be quarelling now, besides I'm too sleepy!!

Lets just hope that the Japan Open continues to dish out good matches.

Cheers all!!

10. Morten

Morten Regular Member

Why are we arrogant.. cant understand this opinion. Of course we want our own players to win.. Look at all the chinese in this forum, the are of course cheering for their country too and no matter what you will always tend to think that the players from your country are better than the others but that doesnt make you arogant. I respect the opponents from the other countries as long as they doesnt fool around as the unmature Lin Dan who isnt a worthy ikon for badminton. he should learn from his countrymen Chen Hong and Xia.

11. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    chill guys. it's Japan Open! sit back and enjoy the matches!

fingers itchy? let's thrash it out in court..... badminton court.

12. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Well, Johansen's statement " I'm sure that Kenneth will beat Lee Chong Wei. He is good against the young asians" was maybe not the most appropriate.
    First because this is objectively a very tight match, certainly not a "sure" outcome, and also I don't see the point in saying he is good against young asians, as this is not really true and could be interpreted as some sort of communautarism. (why say "young asians" rather than young players in general?)

Though, I'm sure there were no bad intentions, we must always be careful when posting on an international board like this one, as some declarations can be misinterpreted. :eek:

I think Gade Supporter's attitude when he first arrived on BF (nearly insulting anyone who would dare think Gade is not the best player in the world) didn't help with danish fan's image... :rolleyes:
    I think this is also what wl2172 was referring too. ;)

There is of course nothing bad in cheering for ones country, above statement could be rephrased "I hope that Kenneth will beat Lee Chong Wei. His experience should be an advantage in this match" (or "I have the feeling...") and no one would complain! :D

Anyway, as everyone said, just forget this and enjoy Japan Open!! :D

13. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Well said Seven.

I sincerely apologise to Danish fans...I did not mean to be rude. However, there have been instances (some people have also noticed), where others will get shot down at the mere mention that his/her idol is not the best.

Saying that, I am not Danish but Peter Gade is one of my heroes, and a role model for everyone. Badminton should transcend boundaries, badminton is for everyone. It is natural to cheer for your own countryman, but accept it if he/she is not winning all the time.

This is not merely just targetting at any group in general. Learn to be objective, and people will accept you more in whatever you do.

14. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Good points made....BAM need to act urgently, or there won't be much of a future after LCW and Hafiz

15. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    It seems like Sairul Ayob has good potential, except for his recent injury...

16. 02011953

02011953 Regular Member

Is he a youngster - like th ones Korea and China have recently put in the senior circuit? I seem to have seen his name around for some time. Correct me if I am wrong. Y

17. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Not sure...but I think he is not that old.

I think 24 or 25

18. xijiayu

xijiayu Regular Member

I always think that champions are not 'produced' over a short period. Even China takes 2-3 years for their talented youngsters to become mature. If you can expose them a bit earlier at senior level, you will be few steps ahead of your rivals. This is why we used to see China and Indonesia can produce champions at 20++, Malaysian juniors who took part in WJC 2004 are mostly 18-19 now and BAM is still keeping them in the backup team and only sending them to mostly satelite tournaments. By the time they are in the senior team, it probably needs another 1-2 years. Look at what China is doing now. Their juniors from WJC 2004 are mostly at senior level already (some of them are able to create upsets in Japan Open). We should also let our juniors come out and play senior tournaments. I noticed that even Tan/ Ong and Tazari/ Lin were just given more opportunities to play in senior tournaments last year after the major restructure took place (CTF pairs with CCE and KKK pairs with CCM). AT that time, they were the highest ranked Malaysian pairs (around 50).

We should avoid repeating the mistaken made back in 90s when we were struggling to find successors for Foo Kok Keong and Rashid.

19. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    It is a difficult situation, when to bring out players, if too soon it can affect their confidence, if too late, then may be disillusioned and end up stunting development.

I think MAL may be too slow to bring out players. CHN play their young players quite a lot, and even they develop to be top players. Lin was playing on Circuit 2years before became the player he is now. MAL need to be patient though, not see them lose a few, then pull them out. They need a plan saying you are doing 10 tournaments a year, 2 satelites, 5, lower *(2/3), then 3 higher star (4/5/6). Make itclear which ones they are doing, and that they expect them to win the satelites, reach later stages of middle class, and maybe just last a few rounds of the higher ones. Next year they can do more higher ends, but still a satelite, and lower *. By the time they reach third year, they should be developing + maturing enough to decide for themselves, and cope with losses/wins well.

Chen Jin is the modern example. He always entered CO since 15/16, last year competed in more middles range tourneys, and won lower ones (eg. French), this year in the main stream, next year or year after He should be the one to beat. Gong Weijie, is one year behind Chen in this cycle.

20. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Gosh....I cannot believe I am saying this, but I think MAL needs a project Manager based on what you are saying. Something like the English Premiere League ;)