Japan Open 2006 SF Pics

Discussion in 'Japan Open / China Open 2006' started by seawell, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Entirely right cappy. Badminton is just like wine. You enjoy it more if you know more.:)

Ecellent pic bobatea. Did you have any problems taking the photos? Problems specifically related to security stopping you taking photos? Enjoy yourself at the finals.

2. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    the last pic lol
    Lindan and Taufik
    facial expressions 2 extremes

3. Bobatea

Bobatea Regular Member

I'm apologizing ahead of time. I'm getting ready right now, but the place opened up about 20 min ago, so that means I overslept :crying: . I initially intended to get there an hour early, but I guess it can't be helped. Hopefully I'll be able to get a good seat still and catch some warm-up shots. I guess the bright side is that I don't have to wait 2 hours until it starts :eek: . I'll try and take as many pictures as I can.

4. kemana

kemana Regular Member

please take some picture of taufik,haha:)

5. minnah

minnah Regular Member

thanks for d info n pics....

hopefully, he know what should do coming soon...
    wake up lcw!!!!

just one request....:p
    do u have zakry pics????

6. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

can somebody tell me what is going on between Lin Dan and Peter Gade? What did lin dan actually do?

7. Bobatea

Bobatea Regular Member

Peter Gade left a shot at the backline because he believed it was out. From my vantage point it definitely looked out, but the line judge called it in. Peter Gade couldn't believe it and stared at the line judge and the shuttle for a few seconds. Lin Dan immediately went over to the umpire and complained about Peter Gade's conduct. Peter Gade walked off court a little to throw off some sweat and then returned the shuttle to Lin Dan. The umpire called Peter over and said a few words and Peter showed that he understood. Peter returned and got ready to continue, but Lin Dan stood there a little bit doing some hand motions towards the umpire asking the umpire if he talked to Peter Gade. The umpire motioned that he did and told Lin Dan to continue. Lin Dan tried to trick Peter with a quick flick serve, but Peter Gade read it and quickly killed it. Peter was waiting to get the shuttle back, but Lin Dan purposely hit the shuttle past Peter towards the back of the court. Peter showed disgust with Lin Dan's conduct and just indicated to the umpire that the conduct was inappropriate and walked back to get the shuttle. The umpire called Lin Dan over, but he somewhat ignored the umpire and then started indicating that he understood what the umpire was trying to say, but the umpire wanted Lin Dan to come over. Without looking at the umpire or really listening to him, Lin Dan just walked over and put up a hand showing that he understood and just walked back. Peter Gade seemed rather upset with Lin Dan's conduct, and also with the line calls he was getting because the same line judge made some horrible calls a few more times.

Every player stares a little at the line judge and the shuttle in disbelief whenever they believe a bad line call has been made, most players do even worse, but if it's only the first time you usually just let it go and your opponent just waits around unless you're taking a little too much time. But Lin Dan just immediately went to the umpire to complain without waiting. Honestly I found that rather uncalled for, and Peter was obviously not happy with Lin Dan after that point.

8. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Heh, LD is always complaining to the umpire. I actually find it kind of amusing :p. But you're right the rest sounds a bit uncalled for.

9. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

I am disgusted by LD's attitude as well!!! :mad::mad::mad:

10. Bobatea

Bobatea Regular Member

I set it at 1600 for ISO because it's hard with a normal telephoto lens to capture such quick action otherwise. I used manual focusing because auto focus doesn't focus quick enough and it also tends to focus on the things I don't want it to focus on. Downside to that is that without perfect vision(I have contacts and stigmatism, so occassionally I'm out of focus), I don't necessarily have it focused correctly. I want to get laser eye surgery soon :rolleyes: . I didn't use a tripod/monopod because... well I don't have one :eek: . I wish I had a video camera because then I would've been able to set one up to record the matches. The Japan Open allowed for video recording as long as you signed a waiver stating that it was for personal use only and also hanged a special pass on your camera to indicate that you have signed the waiver.

There was no security checkpoints. They didn't question people bringing in cameras or video cameras. They were rather strict with the rules though. The staff was constantly checking every video camera that was setup to make sure that they had hanged the pass that indicated that they had signed the waiver. Also, no food or drinks were allowed in the S level seating area. There were also constant reminders regarding no flash photography because some people just weren't that smart, forgot to turn off the flash, or just didn't listen or couldn't speak English or Japanese.

11. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    don't be.. he did it so many times already I think we got used to it lol

12. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Yeah, I'm not too worried either :). It's nothing new :p.

13. felicialim

felicialim Regular Member

Well, i am used to the chinese players complaining to the umpire abt their opponents too. Bao Chun Lai did that too in the third game against LCW in Madrid.But what i dislike most is the behaviour of Lin Dan.Peter gade was standing in front of the net and was waiting for him to return the shuttle back and Lin Dan just pushed it long to the back of the court purposely. I think this is inappropriate.

#53 felicialim, Oct 15, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
  14. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    Thank you guys for the lovely pics! LD has another cool shirt! :) I want them! hehe

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Bobatea, thanks for sharing that info...i think the point you made abt not using the Autofocus feature is interesting..You should indeed visit the Badminton Photography sub-forum in here and chime in your opinions(i believe in one of the thread, they were discussing abt focusing on other areas to get the right exposure, or something like that)..BTW, i'm quite impressed when you said you did it mainly with manual focusing, you did a real fine job, esp. w/out using a tripod/monopod. Your pics came out great, so don't worry abt it.
    **Off topic:Abt you getting a laser eye surgery, well, you can try, it's your choice. But i heard in some cases, in the long run, there *could be* some effects. What effects, that you have to find out..;)

16. Bobatea

Bobatea Regular Member

I'll pop into the forum. I was also at the Thomas/Uber Cup and have some pictures that I took there that I can share, but they're not as good. I went to the first day of the tournament when it was held in Tokyo, and immediately went to go buy my camera before the Korea Uber Cup team played because I was not able to get any good pictures with my digital camera :eek: . Since I just got it (I charged the battery while I was eating lunch right after buying it...), I didn't know how to really set things so I used the preset dials. At the Japan Open, I manually set everything (ISO, aperture, shutter speed) so I was able to get better pictures.

Yeah, I heard you can only get laser eye surgery once too, and that there are rumors of side effects. I heard that there are new contacts coming out that correct stigmatism, so I'll have to grab those before next years Korea and Japan Open ;) . I'm definitely attending those if Tony and Candra are able to compete and try and defend their titles. Maybe I'll try to go to Hong Kong too for the first time for the Hong Kong Open... all for Tony and Candra :D

17. Bobatea

Bobatea Regular Member

Final set of pictures for the semis.

Attached Files:

18. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

thanks a lot, this is very well-described.

19. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    thanks for the pics again Bobatea.. :)

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Bobatea, thanks again for these last sets of pics...i noticed the 2 OCBC gals(Eva Lee and Mesinee M.) sitting quite relaxed alongside Tony, probably having quite a fun time in Tokyo...:) :cool:

#60 ctjcad, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2006