It's time for LCW to prove himself..

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / Indonesia Open 2009' started by Ajaib, Jun 4, 2009.

1. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

First time i heard about this....intersting.....please show the prove that he had compared himself to Nadal......the source/s.....:D

2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Heads should roll if there's no good showing in IO. No excuses. It's all about planning. ;)

3. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

LCW does not explicitly compare himself to Nadal. However, he likens his rivalry against LD to that of Nadal vs Federer.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Saturday/Sport/2564195/Article/index_html

it's upto you to decide whether LCW considers himself the Nadal equivalent or Federer equivalent...

my guess is LCW compares himself to Nadal... (come on, does he really think he is like Federer?!) but as I said in my previous post in this thread, comparing himself to Nadal is foolish and at best, premature. As much as LCW wants to believe it, it will never be the case until he starts beating LD when it matters.

#103 badders2006, Jun 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  4. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Thanks for the reply.

As you said,..he is comparing merely the rivalry betwee him and LD to Nadal/Roger....he didnt say he's like Nadal nor Federer......;)

Please dont put somethings u guess into his mouth...he didnt say that.....:cool:

Yes, he knew its foolish to comapare himself to Nadal.... thats why he never said it...........please be fair to him........:(:(

LCW always know LD is better than him,...but it is wrong for him to have an ambition to beat LD........I personally think that is the right attitude for a professional player........:p

5. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

dont put somethings u guess into his mind! it is absolutely right for LCW to have ambition to beat LD. It is the right attitude for any professional player, to better oneself and to be the best.

6. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    The essence of optimism is that it takes no account of the present, but it is a source of inspiration, of vitality and hope where others have resigned; it enables a Lee Chong Wei to hold his head high, to claim the future for himself and not to abandon it to his enemy. Does LCW own that optimism ? I'd sick to see someone adores Lin Dan superiority so much that other players couldn't do anything to stop him.

Good luck for the Ina Open la Chong Wei. For the SO's lost, learn and move on.

7. hezudao

hezudao Regular Member

lol denial can be an awesome tool

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Lets have a good 2 years of rivalry between these 2 guys before they retire. ;) LD shd still be in singapore to play.

9. badders2006

Well when you are comparing your rivalry to Nadal v Federer then it is IMPLICIT you liken yourself to either Nadal or Federer, no? So I'm not putting anything into LCW's mouth! I'm just exploring both alternatives, neither of which is feasible.

However, you are right, nothing wrong with ambition to beat LD.

It's just that, he made quite a bold statement. Nadal is a freak of nature, he is 5 years younger than Federer (just turned 23 yrs old this month) and has beaten Federer far more times than Federer has beaten him (H2H is 13-7 in favour of Nadal). I have been watching the Federer/Nadal rivalry closely since it started in 2004. By all means, LCW can use Nadal as a source of inspiration :) but, at this point in time, his rivalry with LD is by no means similar to the great rivalry of Nadal v Federer.

10. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    Crash? I don't know if that word can really be applied as far as SO is concern... and you can see the points were really close. best man of the day was Nguyen Tien Minh. LCW tried very hard to win but it's really not his day. And he didn't crash with 21-8 or so kinda points... Hope he could do better in IO.

11. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

oh dear, are you really on this thread? turn to page 2 and read the news link in badders2006's post....

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71186&highlight=Nadal&page=2

or Datuk compared himself as Federer???;)

12. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

totally agree!!!

that's what I said, LCW talks too much, that's really disappointing...

until he really crown himself enough "badminton grand slam" (WC, OG, AE, or maybe include SC, TC...) to be the likes as LD, it is not convincing to compare himself as anyone of Federee or Nadal...

athletes better prove by winning than talk...

13. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Technically, no. Similarly, when a person says that "comparing a Yonex to a Lining is like comparing Apples to Oranges", he did not say that Yonex is an apple and Lining is an orange. LCW's statement makes no implicit claim likening himself to Nadal or Federer.

However, you did not put anything into LCW's mouth. You simply misrepresented him.

Not obvious if LCW talks too much but you obviously infer too much. At least you do not have to be disappointed with LCW. Not inferring too much is well within your control so you need not be disapointed about that either.

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hmmm, didn't LD waxed LCW lately in sudirman cup and all england or is lcw basing his spectacular win of 09 swiss open as his anchoring point?

#114 cooler, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  15. badders2006

OK lets go with your approach -He wasn't likening himself to Nadal or Federer. He was merely saying "the rivalries are similar".;)

Then how is LCW v LD rivalry similar to Nadal v Federer rivalry? In the sense that you are talking about the 2 best players in each sport competing against each other? Cos that's where the similarity ends!!

The Nadal v Federer rivalry is distinguished by the fact that a) Federer is considered the greatest tennis player of all time but b) more often than not Nadal has bettered Federer in the grandest of stages by displaying superior mental strength, as explained earlier in this thread. The most recent examples being Australian Open 09, and Wimbledon 08. Hence, on discussion boards, tennis fans joke that Federer has nightmares of Nadal or that Federer needs to see a psychiatrist to beat Nadal.

As for the LD v LCW rivalry, I see the latter very occasionally beating the former in Super Series events, but the former comprehensively beating the latter everytime they meet in a Major tournament. Hmm, looks like only one player has all the big trophies and the superior mental strength!

Regardless of whether LCW likens himself to either NAdal or Federer, his rivalry against LD does not resemble the NAdal v Federer rivalry. Again, it was foolish and at best premature for LCW to make such a bold statement. LCW needs to start beating LD in 5 star tournaments before he has any right to claim such similarities.

#115 badders2006, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  16. badders2006

Also, consider the context of the following passage.

"It used to be Lin Dan against Taufik (Hidayat of Indonesia) but I have been able to challenge the Olympic champion now. The rivalry is something like Nadal against Federer," said Chong Wei yesterday.

I sincerely doubt I misrepresented LCW based on these comments...

17. badders2006

Hey, no need to go into the fine details, OK? ;)

The only thing you need to know is, LCW can push LD to the point where LD must be fully focused in order to win.

The rivalry is something like Nadal against Federer. :D

18. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Ohh.....that the important word...' something'....at lease he didnt say 'totally like'........he said 'something like'.......... :D:D.

19. indra

indra Regular Member

In soccer:

TH = Brasil, LCW = Argentina, PG = Italy, LD = Poland

In Boxing:
    TH: Muhammad Ali, LCW = Foreman, PG = Joe Freizer, LD = Lennox Lewis

In Tennis:
    TH = Bjon Borg, LCW = Nadal, PG = Pete Sampras, LD = Michael Chang

20. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer

Errr...don't you think nice guy PG is more Rocky Marciano (at least they are both fair skin) than Smokin' Joe unless you know PG is smoking something:p:D as for LCW being Foreman, that is quite a mismatch, Foreman is of BBQ chicken grill fame (you should see how many chicken the fella chow down), muscular (or you may call fat this day) and huge (he can hide LCW in his backside) while LCW is featherweight and scrawny (he needs to eat some real food, man!):p:D