Is the SSMF worth it?

Discussion in 'Super Series Masters Final 2009' started by pjswift, Dec 3, 2009.

1. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I can't believe the amount of negative imagination spouted around here about this tournament!

It's been world class badmiton since Day 1! If you can't make it to the stadium to watch it live courtside, that 's your problem.

And does it matter if the crowd 's not there yet? This is only the weekdays; do other SS also pack the venue on weekdays? Come on, have you seen tennis tournaments in China? They have less people packing the huge stadium than the number here yesterday. And if you guys are there to count the crowd numbers than appreciate the high quality badminton display, I feel sorry for you.

I'm delighted with the player turnout. The MS, MD and XD field is unmatched.I don't attend tournaments to appreciate WS or WD so it's ok with me.But having said that,I'm impressed with the efforts of the WS and WD. The French WD performance was gutsy in spite of their inexperience. WMC showed why she still has it to trouble CHN WS.

MS is just so competitive. PSH is in dangerous form. TH is trying but basically runs out of ideas. PG seems to be losing steam and will have a battle with BP for a semifinal spot tomorrow. BP was in commanding form today, humbling JOJ so much his two recent losses can be dismissed. JOJ is learning there's no short cut to experience but he can be proud of his efforts. Has BP ever beaten PG? The BP vs PG match is gonna be a thriller. I 'm always amazed by LCW's fantastic footwork but I enjoy watching BP play; his is such a thinking game-his syllabus is vast and vague. (After his win, a group of lovely girls in the front row called out 'Boonsak' and was he pleasantly surprised.)

MD isn't so clear cut, is it? If Fuzzy and Koo/Tan win their matches on Friday,would Guo/Xu proceed to the semis? They have to count the points , don't they? INA MD's hard to understand. Chandra/Gunawan showed such confidence against LYD/JJS but was so unsure against DEN's Boe/Mog. But LYD is the MD boss since he is underemployed, having no XD opportunity.

XD title 's likely to go to Europe but would it be DEN, ENG or POL? I 'm rooting for POL.

I met Gill Clark in the spectators stands yesterday by chance: she was holding a tournament schedule and I was looking for one. She looks exactly as I expect of the person behind the voice. Trim and pleasant looking,absolutely diplomatic but warm. I asked her how she managed to sound enthusiastic even after 5 hours on air and she said it's the players performance that enabled her.

Guess who I met at Pelangi Plaza,the shopping mall nearby? The referee (the Czech umpire of the infamous LD vs LHI KO08? MSF) I asked him who was in charge of the scheduling? I mean, why start at the uncivilised hour of 9am when there are 2 courts and only 20 matches a day? And why a morning session and an evening one? (To suit US fans?) What's wrong with an afternoon and evening session? Since when has Malaysians gone Spanish and needing a siesta? BAM? just don't have a sense of estimating time. Ok maybe it 's tough on the umpires (and line judges) but I talked to one of them and he said he couldn't understand the scheduling either. And what about the players? This is the SS Masters Finals. Have some respect for them ;they deserve fair scheduling. Imagine if Saina had to play a tougher WS the morning after her gruelling(as usual) match with WMC. He said they will improve on it next year. High time.(Should have been a year ago.)

I just notice they have amended the scheduling for Friday. No more siesta so we can have time for supper!

It's Super Friday and the matches are gonna be even more sensational. And if you're from Singapore, you may want to consider staying the weekend at the official hotel, Grand Paragon. Beats trudging across the causeway jams and for only a few dollars more.

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I hope you guys have fun there. Too bad i cant be there... if not i would. :)

3. justme_manda

justme_manda Regular Member

Education
    Yup BP won PG before and the most recent is during the Li Ning Grand Masters this year. And I really got to agree with you about his thinking game. I'm a true BP fan and I enjoys his matches. Hopefully he wins tomorrow. Too bad I got to give tomorrow's match a miss. You enjoy!!! :eek:

4. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

MS line-up is better than last year.

I don't care about WD and WS either haha. :D

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm...

- Do you know why? Because it hasn't got any better, at least the expected players' participation, since last yr.

- If this SSMF were held say in Beijing or Guangzhou, CHN, would you say it's worth it??..Would you even travel outta S'pore/M'sia to watch this event?? I know Jen would probably do it..;)

- This is supposed to be the SSMF, BWF's signature event of the yr, the biggest prized money event in their calendar, yet all we get to see is half of the events filled with only half (or even less) of the world's top ranked players??..:confused:

- What do you think is the realistic chance for this event to improve next yr?? My feeling is TH's chances of winning his first ever SS title is greater than the chances of this event improving (players participation-wise) next yr (remember also, there's the AG happening at the end of next yr)..:confused:

- Good to know you and Jen, as always, are enjoying the festivities and tourney..;)

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    SSMF is not worth it, i shouldn't have pawed this tournament, not many chinese players, i can't predict the outcomes, i'm sucking paw air big time. :( i guess this show is about battling to see who's second best:p

glad to know that pjswift is having gay o time at the ssmf, no LD, no LYB, and smirking at those who can't make it

When you're at the SSMF
    you'll have a yabba dabba doo time.
    A dabba doo time.
    You'll have a gay old time.

#6 cooler, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^When fellow S.E. Asia BCers like..^^

..(nod, uh-huh, nod)..Hau-ge, abedeng, fastdrop, Louisa, her sister, uncle Loh (unlike last yr's gathering) and limsy, george@chongwei, suetyan decided not to attend, it really shows how uninteresting this yr's SSMF event is...

8. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

it's more like TH to become the first MS to win the Olympics twice in London.

9. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

well. i wouldn't be there either.

10. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Are u sure those people in bold attended last year's SSMF....Chris...? :confused:

11. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Chris doesn't said those guys(including me:D) attended last year's ssmf:D its just that we DECIDED not to attend this tourney:p

but chris, how could u forget our jasonmarc who is gonna attend the ssmf this year? since its very near to his place in JB.

12. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    If I were available, I would have gone to watch. Too bad I have to be somewhere else. Please stop pouring cold water on those who want to watch. It's a pretty good bunch of players, even if it's not justifying the SSF. But as fans, who cares whether it's SSF or Grand Prix level tournaments. If good players are here, do you care what level of the tournament it is?

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

for the record (minus Loh & our 3 young baddicts):
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62383
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63747

Yes, i know jasonmarc and a few others will attend this yr's edition, because the main reason is they live in JB.:cool:

#13 ctjcad, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  14. kenny7_2006

kenny7_2006 Regular Member

Working student...
    I wish I can go this year, I went last year and really enjoyed it, heck nevermind some players couldn't make , it was still fun! and exciting! come on, its the Masters Finals! so yeah, its worth it!

15. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

it's not the fault of the players... people are just pi_sing off at BWF's way of handling (or should say "spoiling") this SSMF, and not able to live it up to the expectation...

It's a MASTERS FINALS for god's sake... but the whole thing is not better than any of a GP Gold, not to mention how far behind any of the SSs...

16. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    haha
    i went to genting highland
    and will have camp and pc fair

anyway
    it was the price money problem
    not player problem;)
    i was going to buy a desktop and attend both mas open and thomas cup/uber cup next year
    money problem;)

17. keigo911

keigo911 Regular Member

Research Student

Lol, went to lend some money from uncle lim's son? :D

Btw i will going to PC fair too... today (sat) haha!

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    2009 Super Series Masters Finals tickets

limsy, If I have known this earlier, I would have sent you tickets. :p:p:p
    [​IMG]

19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    haha
    next time
    send me mas open and tc/uc ticket then;):p:D

20. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Ahem, as the "reigning" BC World Champion, I did attend to try wrest the BC Super Series Masters Finals title from the ladies. It would be "rude" for a BC World Champ not to attend, since I am not under Li Yongbo. :D:D:D

Unfortunately, had to "retire" and go home after semifinals day for my daughter's event. :p

And thus, like LCW and WPT/CEH, pjswift and Jen were able to defend their title without lifting a racquet in anger. :D