Is serving in your face illegal?

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by total19, Nov 13, 2008.

1. total19

total19 Regular Member

I have a question about service in a game of double. I wonder whether a fast flat backhand serve aimed directly at your opponent’s face or forehead is possible, under the correct service rules? I’ve had a complaint recently about my service so I checked on the web for the rules, and I think even satisfying those requirements I am still able to do a serve like that…. To give you more idea, I am 6 foot tall positioning myself about 30cm behind the service line and I usually perform the service with my shuttle arm near straight, but at the same level of my waist….<---not sure how you define waist.

I use this serve when the opponent is leaning very close to the net as when hes ready for a quick kill of my serve, so I usually serve flat and fast aiming at his face to play on his reaction.

Its actually very difficult to learn from the top players about service, since they either do it in no time or its just completely illegal, for example, Chen Jin serves very ambiguously.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    as long as the receiver is ready, the in your face serve is legal.

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

There is nothing illegal about this serve per se; however, the server might break one of the service laws in attempting to deliver the serve.

For example, he might serve with the shuttle above his waist (lowest rib).

4. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    It's legal, but would you be kind enough to aim for the chest instead, as you do not want any accident or injury to occur if the shuttle does indeed hit your opponent in the face during your drive serve.:(

5. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    your serve is legal and as long as you are below your waist (lowest rib) and comply with the other rules theres nothing agianst it. the only issue with it might be though if your oppnent leaves it that it might infact be out if you hit it to hard but yeah that would be the only thing to watch for how much power you put into it, if they do get hit in the face well they shouldnt unless there really slow with reacting to it but yeah.

6. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Assuming the receiving player has their racket up, I'd have thought something towards their head is going to be right in their "hitting zone" isn't it?

Unless they've got slow reactions it's not something I'd expect to work more than once or twice in a game.

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I think this would be classed as a drive serve. One particular player at my club uses it a lot (i.e. more than 5 times per game). Since I'm a six footer and I stand right on the service line, I always leave them (and they go long almost every time).

Sketchy is right - these serves always end up "in the slot", as we call it, and deserve to be punished:D.

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Driving the shuttlecock to your receiver's face at service is not possible

total19 ... When you are serving the 'Flat Drive Service', even if you are 6 foot tall, with the point of impact of the shuttlecock with your racket string below your waist, it is impossible to drive shuttlecock straight at your receiver's face, who is standing behind his/her service line.

Check this out by drawing a straight line from your point of impact to your receiver's face.

Perhaps, it can be possible if the net is below the correct height and/or your receiver is more than 10 foot tall.

:):):)

#8 chris-ccc, Nov 13, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  9. total19

total19 Regular Member

yea, the serve is only meant for very few occasions perhaps to give a mental caution not to lean too close. Not neccesary aimming at the face, but around that level and in an uncomforable area where your opponent's arm has to turn/move to block the shuttle in your favour. Of course, if your opponent is ready for that and/or he has his racket 'in the slot' then you wouldn't attempt such serve, otherwise you'll get it back in your face.

Chris, assuming your opponent is 5 foot 9+ bending his knee only slightly, so his head would be well over the net height. Now if I take half a step back from the service line, and the shuttle racket contact height is around the max tolarence ie just below my lower ribs. I'd imagine one could execute a drive serve targetting the forehead, may be alittle over the head. So do you think my shuttle racket contact point is too high?

I have drawn the line with the detail given above, though it really shows that the shuttle will go over the head by about 10cm, but I haven't taken into account of the curvature trajectory that may lower 1 or 2 cm when it gets to the opponent (since the shuttle can't travel faster than approx. 50km/h as a condition to land within). But certainly dont need someone thats 10 foot tall.... or my serve is just completely illegal?

10. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Couldn't you aim sorta 10cm either side of their face? Just to be nice, you know.

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Service is meant to be a defensive shot when all the rules are properly followed. When you could drive serve to your opponent's face with the shuttle at the level with your rib cage, your racquet is probably more than likely to be horizontal with the frame higher than the cone of the handle.

Illegal drive serves are what kills the joy of playing the game for me. If the players have to resort to that kinda cheap shots, then they're not worth playing with. Not only do they pissed people off, they potentially killed any sort of flow for a rally point game. The one shot rally either ends with a winner or an out or a well deserved return smackdown by the receiver.

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Drive serves are a part of the game. If you're vulnerable to them, then practise receiving them!

The angle of the racket is all-but-irrelevant to generating power. You need very little power for a drive serve (assuming you want the serve to land in if left by the receiver); the power can come largely from grip tightening ("finger power"), with very little rotation of the arm.

I agree that illegal drive serves can be frustrating. I used to get myself quite worked up about them, until I decided to stop treating them as "unfair" and started treating them as a challenge -- a way for me to practise. If I can beat illegal drive serves, then I can beat legal ones too!

I use (legal) drive serves myself, on occasion: when the receiver appears unprepared, such as when he is too far out to the side, or when his racket is too low. I don't dare to use them in other circumstances, because I know most of my opponents will just cut them out right at the front.

13. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

Drive serves, i experimented with these a while back, when i was playing with less experianced players in high school. I only did it when they got cocky after fluking a few shots on the base line. If your aiming for the face then you could probably improve it more, the most awkward place to hit a drive serve from is when it is aimed at there racket arm shoulder, most players who stand far forward, which is when the serve is useful, hold thier racket on the backhand side slightly. 80% of the time this means they can only play a block which can be easily killed. But i never do two in a row, its easy to play the second.

14. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    Drive Serve is legal. I used to do this. My height is 5.8 ft (178cm), well, I serve just like he did, but I'm not targeting his face xD... Since like this quote
    I've ever got the fastest reaction ever T_T... as a smash targeting my own face (succesfully evaded though xD...), since then my target is the back line.

15. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    You can hit your opponent's face depending on where you stand in your box when you serve.

Anyways, I use drive serves sometimes, just for a change of pace.

16. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    the bird has to go up and over the net, and down...unless your first rib is net level and you consistantly CONTACT at that point, and drive it properly...it won't be legal...because when you aim for face, assuming your opponent's face is taller than the net...the bird must go up over the net, down, and up again...if it keeps going up, it's too high...and i find that really illegal...there are rare cases where that is legal...but you don't see it happening on the international circuit...and at local clubs and tournies..you just can't call it unless there is a sanctioned umpire/line/service judges etc...

17. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Haha, that's quite an impressive (and confusing) explanation. You guys say that I'm wordy around here.

Anyhow, try this: take a step back from the service line. Now, it should be possible to hit a drive serve without violating service rules.

18. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    you are victor...but there really isn't anyway to explain how it can be legal...welcome back by the way! how long was your absense anyway?

19. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    i said it first so i win :D:D

But aiming for your opponent's face is pretty stupid if you have to step backwards because then your opponent has that fraction of a second more to react and kill your serve.

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Draw a straight line from your point of impact to your receiver's face

:D:D:D Hahaha... Athelete1234, I still don't believe you.

At Service, what you can see of your opponent's face is from a different angle from what your shuttlecock can see of receiver's face.

Check this out by drawing a straight line from your point of impact to your receiver's face.

:):):)