Is LCW the top 1-2 player in the world?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by evylgrynn, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

First of all, endorsement deals dont really exist in the past, say 30 years ago. So, we cannot really compare sportsmen today against sportsmen of yesteryears based on endorsement deals. The kind of money being dished around by today's sponsors dont really exist when Tan Aik Huang was playing for an example.

Which national sports star has more recognition than LCW? Ok, lets put aside that Datuk title. I would say our national football team in the 70s in terms of recognition and following had a pretty large base. Our Selangor football team too has a pretty decent recognition. Stars like Mokhtar Dahari, Soh Chin Aun & co had the stadiums packed each time they played. And by the way, the crowd was a pretty multi racial one. Other than football, our men's hockey team too had a massive following during the 70s and when they made it to 4th placing in the World Cup, sales of hockey sticks went up. Heard of Rabuan Pit, the national sprinter and once Asia's fastest man? And I am pretty sure when Eddy Choong was playing, he too was warmly embraced by all Malaysians.

2. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Moktar and Soh have fulltime jobs at that time and I remember I went along with my big brother to Merdeka Stadium to watch soccer. As for hockey, I remember too as our school was cancelled but we were made to stay around to watch hockey which was bigtime with MAS in SF. The school made us play hockey after that craze, and heck my back hurt:crying: and I need serious massage therapists, err, I mean the legal type, to work on my back:p:D

3. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Endorsement deals have been around worldwide more than 30 years ago.The scale may not be as huge but in MAS, sports stars may not be big enough to be worth the deal.Even right now,which other sports stars besides KKK/TBH have commercial appeal? Nicole David? Name the brands she's paid to promote.LCW has Proton, Jati,100 Plus, M1 besides Yonex.Which MAS football star (or rather, football team) are that sprinkled with glitter as LCW?
    I presume stadiums are no longer packed with football fans now without MD or SCA & co?
    What about Rabuan Pit? What happened after his Asia's fastest man record?
    Eddy Choong must be especially warmly embraced by women.From what I read of Oon's recollection of his badminton days,EC has exquisitely high EQ with women.The poor Oon suffered sleep deprivation being locked out as EC's unfortunate roommate while EC had his other fun.

4. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Errr, Nicole David's poster appears in CIMB branches. CIMB bank (used to be Bank Bumiputera commerce) is main sponsor for Squash Msia.
    The other Msian sports person (current still active) with International endorsement deals is track cyclist Josiah Ng, signed with Fed Ex & a few other companies.

And your fav player LCW now also has an endorsement deal with Maxis(telecomunications), along with his coach Misbun. :)

5. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Totally Yes. Malaysians will. Badminton community, in a whole, that should be an issue. It'd be nice if we could remember him as one with x-factor that charmed Malaysians' heart. If it was added with recognitions by the world for the well-deserved titles as a WR1, that'd be cool. I don't want to remember him as an ambassador, only.

6. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Well said.

This thread is redundant as I chose to ignore till I read your post.

I was like ROFL when I read the highlighted statement.

Yes, LCW is the top 2 player in the world.

7. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

My fav player LCW? I'm most impressed with how he has broken down every barrier to perform at the highest level and broken new grounds for badminton as a sport but I have no fav player.
    It's great for Nicole to be sponsored by CIMB.I 'm not sure if appearing in CIMB posters equates endorsement; maybe to promote the tournament.If CIMB appears on her gear, then it's more positive.CIMB does an excellent job in promoting squash and supporting Nicole.I'm happy for her.
    Josiah Ng sounds like one sports star to watch.A bit off-topic but if ok, do tell more.
    Sorry, got mixed up there. Of course it's Maxis, not M1(which is a Spore brand.)
    Thanks, eaglehelang,for furnishing details.

8. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Lets not get all confused here. I said; "First of all, endorsement deals dont really exist in the past, say 30 years ago. So, we cannot really compare sportsmen today against sportsmen of yesteryears based on endorsement deals. The kind of money being dished around by today's sponsors dont really exist when Tan Aik Huang was playing for an example."

If you say endorsement deals have been around worldwide more than 30 years ago, and that MAS sports star being not big enough enough to be worth the deal, tell me then what kind of mega endorsement deals does Flemming Delfs had when he was playing, do bear in mind the man won the WC in 1977.

Aiks ... you are now talking about present day & KKK/TBH?? I was replying to your following question;

Football stadiums no longer packed?? I said when Mokhtar, Chin Aun & co were playing during the 70s they generated a big following amongst all Malaysians. To put it simply to you LCW is not the ONLY MAS sports star that is warmly embraced by all Malaysians as there were others.

What happened to Rabuan's record? Like most records, they have been bettered with time. But the fact remains that Rabuan Pit too was warmly embraced by ALL Malaysians. And so was Dr. Jegathesan, Istieq Murbarak.

In summary, we have a host of sports personalities that have touched our hearts in our 51 years of history as an independent nation.

#48 Pemuda, Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  9. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Well LCW is beating everybody but LD, who's beating everybody, so yeahh I'd say he's at least #1-2 in the world.

10. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

I think more on this should be discussed in "Lee Chong Wei" thread, where anything & everything abt LCW is discussed.;) LOL, I was wondering what M1 was. More likely Josiah's juniors -Azizul & Rizal are the next stars, recently they won Msia's 1st bronze & silver in cycling's WC.

11. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    If you compare PF with HH....essentially the same level if you count by titles: 1 AE, and PG never won the WC or olympics.

12. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

ya, also impacts in the world badminton....just look at these peoples who like to talk about him, argue about him,.......:eek:....:D:D

13. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

yep, and he's got many 'fans' too:D when he lost or win, there will be surely a thread specially for him, that shows he is very popular and is the top 2 player in the world currently:)

14. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

As a pro shuttler, what is more important; having more fans or titles, major titles??

If a shuttler's goal is to have more fans, then badminton is not the arena. He/she should go into acting as being a movie star whether grade A or B or the C list will definitely get you loads of fans.

15. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

I never had the chance to watch either Mokhtar or Chin Aun in action but I have heard & read stories about them. Anyway, I met Chin Aun a few times before and he is a very down to earth Datuk. His knowledge about football is second to none.

:)

16. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Moktar Dahari, I remember was the premier striker for MAS and a feared forward. I think he was actually invited to try out for an English team (I couldn't remember which one) and I was at Stadium Merdeka when he scored that curved goal against Kevin Keegan and his Liverpool team ini the exhibition game. In Merdeka Cup, teams have to double tag him to prevent him from breaking loose and score. Chin Aun was capitan and mid-fielder and Arumugan was the goalie. Before Arumugan was the Keong fella, the acrobatic goalie, good but too fancy. I was a young lad then, probably 15, a little less dashing than you:p:D;)

17. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman

i enjoyed the above conversation but to respect this thread owner
    lets stick to the topic...:D:D
    yes LCW is the 2nd best now, he cant chase LD no matter how
    hard he try for the next few years...what he can do now is to beat
    LD regularly and win at least one major title....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

18. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    welll ...
    everybody have different opinion

19. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    That's the painful truth, yea. With his new Proton car, would that boost him up? I hope so. :cool: A WC final in India will make me happy.

20. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Hello bro, they are talking about Proton cars in that Will LCW remain as WR1 till OG 2012 thread. Need you to go over there double quick to ensure the thread stick to its topic and that the thread owner's honour and pride remains intact and all.

Here, let me show you the way .... http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1151360&postcount=218

... and remember to shut the door on your way out. :D

Love n kisses.