Is it worth learning to jump smash?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bbirdman, Dec 4, 2014.

1. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Hahah. yeah exactly. Against some mates in doubles who are better than me and have learned my game, I smash smash smash then drop. They anticipate it and lift to the back and I am back to square one.

My smash has got harder and so i have started to really attack them continuously knowing at the range I am at if I keep my patience and try not to get frustrated if 1st smash goes down I should still get it eventually. Still drop shot if not within killing range.

Sometimes its about having confidence in your smash, its harder than it used to be and I have to believe its harder.

2. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Agree its psychologically draining knowing your opponents doesn't need as good chances as you to finish the rally off. You mean this guy Cheung http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_houghton. haha wouldnt mind him as a coach!!

3. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Exactly :) personally I try, wherever possible to hit a big straight smash and move forwards. If I can get some sort of mid court drive that I can follow into the net, then my smashing has been a success - we didn't necessarily win the point off my smash, but I can keep the attack and keep attacking them with fast shots to their body. It is normally two smashes from the back, one smash from mid court, one drive from the service line and then one net kill. If I can get that sequence regularly, it makes me happy - whilst I am not winning the point with my smash, I will get the worried.

What often happens next, as a result, is people become afraid of your smash. Thats when, instead of hitting the first smash, I hit a stop drop, and then smash smash smash (if they can get the drop - not likely!). When people become afraid of the smash, they often get "rooted" in their defence. Then instead of attacking the body continuously, you start hitting a couple of smashes at the body, and then a ridiculously steep one into the tramlines - normally wins the point. Then you add in all the crazy reverse slices and cross slice smashes. But just remember - if they get the back, go back to big straight smashes at their body and follow to the net and kill - it means that you still eventually win the point, even though the "variety" didn't necessarily win the point.

The best thing I learned was to smash from the backline. I used to think "its too far back", and "my smash will be weak". Thats irrelevant - you need to put on the pressure anyway! Use your wrist to get it steep!

Good luck :)

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    are you wanting to utilise more in doubles or singles?

yeah. He's the one. I think he lives up north west Manchester area.

5. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Yep probe and prod using recognized badminton tactics Matt. I'll have to remember this page for your tactics if we ever met up and played ;)

More of a singles player Cheung

6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Haha just watch out for the jump cross court clear ;) it can be a killer! X

7. Jasontam

Jasontam Regular Member

Businessman
    For me the jumping smash is good if u are good in footwork only, after u jumping the balancing of your body will be hard. Unless u are keep practicing like pro till u can back to Centre court after u jumping smash. I rather hard stand smash, drop shot or lob for safety play. I'm 35 this year, for my experience should be jumping smash only when u are confident that will kill the ball. Anyway this just a game, so play for fun.right?

8. wlee2702

wlee2702 Regular Member

iT solution
    Just go with it.....no need to over-think about it! Just do it!