Is it legal to block the net?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Slanter, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Egads! No, that's totally wrong.

The ONLY circumstance in which you may not prepare your racket is when you would obstruct or distract an opponent. Realistically this does not often happen. There might be *some* occasions at the net where a player obstructs his opponent from playing a net kill, by placing his racket head in the path of the opponent's follow-through.

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I just saw a similar case to this today.

Today, I was playing in the gym, and there was a Russian (I think :rolleyes: ), who is playing at the court behind me. Man, he was very tall, I would say, at least 190cm tall. So, one rally was like, he was standing near the net doing the net shot, then, the other side hit it back really quick because the shot was too high. Then, the shuttle hit his shoulder (because he is so tall!) and bounced back to the other side!! :eek:

So, would that be considered a point? or should it be a let? or should it be a point lost?

He is obviously NOT blocking at all, but ......

That's just crazy!! :)

3. Zhang Ning

Zhang Ning Regular Member

he put the racket infront and just above the net, it just like the net now a few inches high, so when I did a lift the shuttle hit the racket and boucned back, it just happen less than a second after I hit the shuttle, how am I supposed to do another storke in such a short time?:confused:

4. carlol

carlol Regular Member

entreprenuer
    in the tall russian's case, it would probably be a point lost, since it hit his body, and not the racket. The shuttle should hit the racket (actually the string of the racket if the rules have to be strictly followed i think) for the shot to be considered legal.

In the case of the net kill block, i agree with the guys who say that as long as you dont overreach or have ur racket cross the net, the shot or block or whatever u call it is legal. The defining point would be the overreach.

Thats just my humble 2 cents worth.

;)

5. Nrlll9

Nrlll9 Regular Member

Thats not blocking, if you get hit by the shuttle you lose.

Blocking is like if you do a really good tumble drop and the shuttle is below the net and the other guy needs to do an upward pointing shot. Your racket shouldn't be anywhere near the net. If it is, its a fault.

6. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play

Is this in the rule book somewhere, if it is, please show me.
    I've played with players who always put their racquet up near the net trying to block the net everytime they play a netshot. If it is true, then I get to win the point since its a fault. ;)

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I think the difference is whether you're actually running towards the shot to block it (distracting the opponent who's trying to make a delicate shot) or have not enough time to backup from the shot, thus made it necessary to defend yourself. Also it depends on how far you are from your opponent... obviously the closer to the opponent the more you'll distract/obstruct him/her.

8. novl

novl Regular Member

Financial Advisor
    According to the Rules/Laws of Badminton, blocking the net is legal as long as you don't invade your opponent's courtside (13.4.2) or distract your opponent by shouting or making gestures (13.5) or obstruct an opponent, ie prevent an opponent from making a legal stroke where the shuttle is followed over the net (13.4.4).

So, if your opponent's racket stays on his side of the court, it is legal the block your shot unless he obstructs your racket following the shuttle over the net. My understanding is that was not true in your case. The only thing you can do is look where his racket is positioned and hit the shuttle passed his racket.

9. Z1985

Z1985 Regular Member

slack
    yes. this is a useless tactics against professional player. But i admit i did that when playing with more amatuer player. just to scare them. I got a buddy last time who did something worse. he attempts net drop from back court and rushed right in front of the net to act a 'jump smash' action and scare the wits out of his opponent who dare not recieve his net drop. i was a victim too as it was really scary and i turned away. so is it a fault? guess he was just joking around.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If just a friendly social game, just draw some laugh, it's ok. Who cares about all the rulez, if ppl just come for fun? ;)

For more competitive games, this is obviously a "distraction" to opponents. It should be ruled as a fault.

11. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I could have sworn, I saw some doubles player do that and they didn't call a fault for those. Like, it was dropped and the partner jumped up and smashed back the return.

12. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    That's probably because it wasn't anywhere near the net. Smashing still requires a swing, so technically it's legal. Unless the contact is made before the birdie reached their side of the court, it's legal to do that.

13. Pball

Pball Regular Member

Is This behaviour/Tactic Legal?

The opponent makes a drop shot, you got and start your lift, the opponent rushes you and holds his racket over the net waiting for your lift. ( his racket doesn't cross over the net.)

Another variation: the opponent rushes you and makes as if to smash you...

any comments appreciated.. because it is bugging the bloody hell out of me playing with people like this...

14. Netasia

Netasia Regular Member

the way i look at it, it's legal.

15. jamesshieh88

jamesshieh88 Regular Member

Student
    if he makes contact while the shuttle is still on your side of the net, then its illegal. i see many people do this just to try to distract you

HetDraakje likes this.
  16. gerry

gerry Regular Member

Exactly right, you must play a shot after he has made contact, not just leave your racket head stationery in the shuttles pathway

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

No, I don't think this is a fault. It might be a bad technique, but it's not a fault. You can hold your racket wherever you want so long as you keep it on your side of the court, and you do not obstruct your opponent from making a shot.

If he's dumb enough to hit it right into your upheld racket, then that's his problem.

18. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

which law is that?

19. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

with this interpretation, blocking is legal and illegal in different circumstances.

1) shuttle is below net height and you are blocking a lift
    legal (I've seen Gade do it and not be called a fault for it)

2) shuttle is above net height and you are blocking a net-kill
    illegal if you are close enough to obstruct the follow through
    legal if you are further away (but then you wouldn't be "blocking the net")
    (I can't remember ever seeing case 2 occur in a pro tournament)

20. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    I blocked the net immediately after I flick served to Cappy75 last Saturday. Unfortunately I forgot to use my racquet and my head was the next closest thing :crying: :eek: :p :). *BOINK* Cappy's smash went right off the top of my head hahaha~! I wasn't skilled enough to "head" the shuttle back over the net either.