Is BG65 string really inferior?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by SSSSNT, May 2, 2021.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    When I was playing a lot of singles tournaments, I would try to get my racquets freshly strung in BG65 - about the week before and have a hit with them to let the tension settle.

I use BG80 mainly now, don’t really play so much, keep to doubles and am not too worried about the tension loss......until a tournament comes along again. LOL

puttguy likes this.
  2. badmintonpog1

badmintonpog1 Regular Member

Wannabe
    I broke my 1 year and a half old BG68Ti string that was strung at 26 lbs on my Astrox 77 two weeks ago . Getting it restrung with BG65 at the same tension. Decided to get BG65 since I don't string often and curious to see how BG65 is like than my usual BG65Ti or BG68Ti. Hope it performs well despite the reviews and forums about it when I get it soon.

3. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

When players ask for a restring but don't know what string they want, I put on BG65. They are almost always happy with it. Part of it is of course it's durability compared to other strings, but I suspect there is something else to it.

BG-65 is classed as a string with a soft feel. I take this to mean that on hard shots, the impact and vibration is subdued compared to harder feeling strings like BG80. This means there is less feedback, but it also means that the string is more forgiving when the timing of a shot is a little off. I don't know if this is just an illusion, because you feel mishits less, or if a bg-65 actually has a slightly bigger friendly timing window.

Sorry, it's hard to describe how things feel sometimes.

I can't say to how BG65 plays at higher tensions, but at 'normal' tensions, I think that due to its forgiving nature, BG65 is an easy string to play with and is less likely to contribute to injuries than some harder strings, even if certain players might get something out of playing with other strings that they wouldn't get with BG65.

I think that even if there is sometimes a better choice, BG65 is never a bad choice.