Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Well now...

"Closing the bard door after the horse has bolted..."

============== ============ ===============

BAM agree to draw up a clear guideline for independent shuttlers
    Sunday August 7, 2011

Full report: http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2011/8/7/sports/9255235&sec=sports

Excerpts...

FORMER internationals Gan Teik Chai-Tan Bin Shen’s fight to seek justice following their omission from the World Championships squad has reaped some dividends.

The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) have finally agreed to come out with a clear guideline for independent shuttlers who want to be considered for the 2012 London Olympic Games.

BAM secretary Ng Chin Chai said that the guideline was one of four “compromises” made for the Apacs-KLRC sponsored Teik Chai-Bin Shen after they were overlooked for the world meet despite qualifying on merit.

...“Whether the decision was rightly or wrongly made (on Teik Chai-Bin Shen’s omission), we at the BAM want to move forward. We are coming out with a clear guideline for all the independent shuttlers on all future events which have a qualification process,” said Chin Chai, who is also the team manager for the Malaysian team at Wembley.

...“We will continue to enter their names for international tournaments through their respective state BAs. And if they perform well in these tournaments, we will consider them for the SEA Games, Thomas Cup Finals and other major events,” said Chin Chai.

2. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    This NCC fellow has no morale and no ethic, to come up now and to pacify the screw-up he created saying guidelines will be made for the future.....how about now that this Chin Chai idiot has killed GTC/TBS WC11 dream, darn it, people worked hardfor a dream and to be taken away is so criminal...how the hell can people sleep at night, that really baffle me?

Now that BAM has double the funding to tens of millions, all the non-playing jokers are partying in London...sending Bata James to London for what? His job is high performance something, if the players are not already smoking high performance stuff now, isn't that a little too late.

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    So, what are they compromising with? Their stupidity?:eek::p BAM has "compromised" by "creating guidelines?" When was the last time that anyone compromised by setting up guidelines??? This is incredible stupidity. And this coming from a guy holding an important post in the national badminton association of one of the top playing nations!

Obviously. It would be too painful for you to rectify your fault or your stupidity! Make a mistake, *shrug* move forward! To hell with the consequences of your stupidity or your tunnel vision. Viva BAM!!

Now, this is the part that really scares me. What "qualification process" is Chin Chai talking about? Is it the same qualification process i.e. ranking of BWF, or a different "qualification process" that none of us know but is only known to a few inside BAM? This sounds like an escape clause in the making.

All in all, a shameful performance by Chin Chai.

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    :D:D:D I keep thinking, you never saw these jokers around at the tournaments when you-know-who was the Singles coach for the pro team! Maybe he knew how to keep them away and not interfere with preparations. Maybe that's why he's not there any more... :D:D:D
    Now? It's party time!!! :p

5. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

This Ng Chin Chai is being cornered to reveal his decision making process and he s showing the dirt. Since when does an independent have to go through state BAs to get things done? So Gan/tan are from different states, which BA is supposed to handle them..So what s an independent? Obviously a professional with independent sponsors and not dependent on BAs ( thank goodness!) But this NCC cannot even see that! He mixed it up so that he did not have to deal with independents directly. So do the other independents like WCH now have to go through their BAs? If their sponsors don t sort this issue out with this NCC, he will dish out more dirt systematically because he is exhibiting dirty lawyer thinking. This NCC has to be asked to define what s an independent first!Hopefully, LCW have the guts to become an independent after OG12 and let s see whether guidelines will be modified. But before that, someone somehow should find a way to get this NCC and the CTC gang fired. BAM looks like degenerating. Unfortunately, Nadzmi is clever enough to install them to do the dirty work while he hangs around ready to get credit should LCW deliver the WC and OG golds.

6. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Wah uncle OTB, so fierce. Dont worry, the Harian Metro reporter also shoot at BAM left right, almost center.

Just for amusement, there's a blogger who aired his disatisfaction on the Gan/TBS issue :
    :D

[h=3]BAM LACK B___S[/h]
    Well those smart enough will figure that out on how to fill in the spaces.

My earlier posting touched on just how low BAM will go in trying to fix the doubles duo of Gan Teik Chai and Tan Bin Shen.

Well after looking at the letter BAM sent to the Kedah and Selangor BA's, my take is, to borrow a phrase often used by a renowned Sports Editor, is that BAM lacked scrotum gumption to initiate any action on the duo.

And the had the gall to ask the two State BA to initiate action on the duo, of which BAM will be fully supportive.

Ever heard the phrase - baling batu sembunyi tangan? That aptly describes the action of the BAM.

If writing directly to the President of BAM seeking justice is a cause for disciplinary action, then millions who wrote to the Prime Minister can be jailed I guess. So the members of the public should now go through their JKKK before even thinking of talking to their ADUN or MP.

Coming back to BAM, wonder how high is the pedestal that their officials are perched on?

But look back at what you did on May 13 as you in BAM too did not follow procedures and wrote to the players directly.

So BAM, will heads roll in your office as well? Or you practice what you preach - double standards.

http://ssdhaliwal.blogspot.com/2011/08/bam-lack-bs.html

7. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

No, they are saying all letters must go through state BAs, not direct. BAM is just pissed Gan/TBS went to OCM to complain. What choice do they have since BWF already say they cannot do anything. In one of the Harian Metro articles, Gan is quoted as saying BAM not happy they went to the press, should have been closed door affair. Gan said, if not make public, they will never get any justice or answers.

I couldnt find the blog that one fellow wrote on Roslin Hashim being compensated when BAM missed out his name in Spore & INA Open 2 to 3 years back. Roslin was pissed, BAM sponsored some of his tournaments as "compensation" for not sending his entry although Roslin had submitted his entry much much earlier.

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Why BAM wished for it to be a 'closed door' business, I do not understand

Should have been closed door affair? Why BAM wished for it to be a 'closed door' business, I do not understand.

Next BAM would tell us that they wanted transparency, because transparency is good. :eek::eek::eek:

Regarding Roslin Hashim's case, it was in 2007, and we have a thread at BadmintonCentral (titled 'Angry Roslin threathens to sue BAM'), found located at;

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/42833-Angry-Roslin-threathens-to-sue-BAM?

and also the article (written by Rajes Paul) can be found located at;

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2007/4/20/sports/17496938&sec=sports

#88 chris-ccc, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  9. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Hi PbM, I have translated Han Jian's article. See this:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...inton-system?p=1730035&viewfull=1#post1730035

Hopefully this is helpful to you. Yes, Han Jian mentioned there is alot of problem at the grass root level. Players are not thought the proper techniques. I won't be surprised if the Chinese coaches are showing them how to grip the racket. This is a very subtle way of telling them to work on their basic. what I learn is if a player doesn't have the strong foundation in skill, it only takes a guy will half your stamina (probably less) to beat that player. For example, match Han Jian up against Usain Bolt or some marathon runners on badminton court. My money will be on Han Jian :).

Han Jian has subtlely implied that those NCC and officers who got send to London has no role there and just wasting the tax payers' money(or the Maybank's money, whichever you wanna put it). Is there anything they can do in London other than partying, sipping a fine wine in 5 stars hotel and demanding and pressuring the national players to do this and that? I doubt it.

Well, NCC is hired to be BAM secretary for a reason. He is a LAWYER and he is paid to do whatever he is hired to do-to bend around the rules. Hopefully you are not sending your daughter to study law in college, OTB:D:p:p:cool:.

10. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    My wife wants to (see blue above), thanks god, that is not the path my little girl wants to do;)

11. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Thanks lcleing :)

Now I know what he is talking about :D.

The google translation needs to be banned, removed, sued to kingdom come ..:D

Well, for Han jian, he has been living in Malaysia long enough to know all this

and he is absolutely correct! :)

If this is not a public forum I would have spill everything out hahaha.. :D

#91 pBmMalaysia, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Well it looks like BAM has been doing something right after all.

MAS has only 3 players in the quarter-finals of the World Championships this year, but they are all new, unknown players who made it, as a result of the changes and strategies that BAM has been bringing about in the past 2 months or more.

Regrettably, the older, more experienced players (like the Sidek brothers, Eddy Choong etc) did not make it.

13. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    So, back to the drawing board. Are we missing misbun? Overhaul?? ;)

14. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

No, BAM is going in the left direction.

15. extremenanopowe

damit........... why not center direction or the drain direction? ;)

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Let's see what this chin chai guy got to say
    [video=youtube;iPqJE_Y6JoY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPqJE_Y6JoY&feature=related[/video]

17. extremenanopowe

Talk is cheap. We need action. ;) Either you stay put or you change. What will it be? Which individual in BAM dares to make the decision? ;)

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    OK, so its pretty clear that the bigwigs at BAM have no clue what they are doing, or are supposed to do. But they are not going to just go away. They are not going to admit that they made some very fundamental mistakes in their planning and delivery and if you want a real "corporate" twist, (they should love this!) their "supply-chain" management! :D

They will issue statements; proably claim that everything is under control; then look for a fall guy. It might be James resigning; who knows. But the system won't really change, because they are completely clueless what they should replace it with! And of course, the replacement might not suite their agenda...

These idiots really believe that some company like KPMG may give them the magic keys to unlocking the dilemma. You can have all the advise and research and data and concluding paragraphs and they can all be very impressive. But what is the implementation?

After all the thinking and talking and discussing, what is the nature of action BAM takes? They have created a situation from which there is no easy way out. If a complete review is needed, it is not BAM who must ask for or institute or conduct the review. It will have to be the NSC or another body.

But the overhaul of the entire system will have to be undertaken by people who have the experience, in-depth knowledge, and awareness of the intricacies of the grassroots system in Malaysia. Anything else, (like the BAM bigwigs themselves) will be a waste of time, money, energy, and a mockery of the efforts that players like LCW make every day.

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Another shuttle cock-up

Just a few days ago, I received this article (Another shuttle cock-up). :D:D:D

Source: http://www.mmail.com.my/content/79788-another-shuttle-cockup

====== start article ======

Independent player cries foul after missing Vietnam Open

HARESH DEOL
    Tuesday, August 9th, 2011 06:16:00

PETALING JAYA: Independent shuttler K. Yogendran claimed he has been treated unfairly after his name was not registered for the upcoming Vietnam Open scheduled from Aug 23-28 in Ho Chi Minh City.

This is not the first time Yogendran has been subjected to such an episode as his name was surprisingly missing from the singles event of the Indonesian International Challenge last month. Yogendran, however, played in the doubles event.

The application for the Indonesian event was made together with the Singapore International Series. Yogendran played in both the singles and doubles categories in Singapore.

The applications were done to the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) through the KL Badminton Association (KLBA). KLBA assured Yogendran his application was forwarded to the national body.

"I just find it baffling. I registered for the Indonesian and Singapore events at the same time and somehow my name was not in the singles event of the Indonesian meet," said Yogendran.

"How is it that BAM only got part of my application when it was done together?

"Now I’m experiencing the same problem with the Vietnam Open. I’m also eager to know if I’ll be playing in the Taiwan Open next month (Sept 6-11)."

Yogendran said he has booked flight tickets and accommodation for the Vietnam stint.

"Some RM1,200 has already been spent and now it’s down the drain. I can’t be taxing my sponsors. It is also crucial for me to play matches to help improve my world rankings."

Yogendran, who left BAM in 2008, is currently placed 73 in the world men’s singles rankings — ahead of Mohamad Arif Abdul Latif (86), Goh Soon Huat (119) and Chong Wei Feng (124).

His latest achievements were the back-to-back wins in the singles event at the Altona International in Melbourne followed by the Counties Manukau International in New Zealand in June.

"I’m thankful to KLBA for helping me out but independent players in the country would appreciate an easier method to register for tournaments. It would be better if we could submit directly to BAM.

"I am only doing this to represent my country."

Yogendran admitted certain State BAs have been helpful to independent players, although most of the shuttlers cannot represent the State in any junior events or the Malaysia Games as they are over the age limit.

BAM general manager Kenny Goh was unaware of the incident but promised to check on the matter.

"Players, independent or not, will still have to go through the State BAs unless the council decides otherwise," said Kenny.

====== end article ======

20. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Why not have a little transparency here? Why can't an independent send the application to the state BA along with a copy sent directly to BAM? That way, BAM will have a copy of the application and can cross-validate it with the application that is forwarded by the State BA. If there is any discrepancy, it gives everyone the chance to sort things out before it's too late.

Its just a simple procedural issue. It saves time, aggravation, clears any confusion, and identifies accountable action and provides for points of redundancy.

Maybe that is exactly why BAM won't do it? :rolleyes::p