Ioc to investigate badminton coaches

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by kwun, Aug 2, 2012.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/337016/IOC-to-investigate-badminton-coaches/

IOC TO INVESTIGATE BADMINTON COACHES

The coaches of the four women's badminton pairs who were disqualified from the Olympics after deliberately trying to lose matches are being investigated, the IOC have announced.

The Chinese top seeds, two pairs from South Korea and another from Indonesiawere all effectively found guilty of match-fixing following a disciplinary hearing by the Badminton World Federation.

IOC communications director Mark Adams said the national Olympic committees (NOCs) of the countries involved had been asked to look at coaches' involvement.

He said: "We have asked the NOCs to look into the entourage issues, we have asked that question.

"It's important to make sure it's not just the athletes that are punished. The NOCs are making sure those athletes are now leaving the Village and making their way home.

"The overall principle is that the Games are about a good sporting performance and when that doesn't happen we need to take action. I hope a line has been drawn under this and that there is the clear message that if it happens again action will be taken."

The eight players all conceded points on purpose in their final group matches in an attempt to manipulate the draw for the knockout stage of the London 2012 event at Wembley Arena.

BOA chairman Lord Moynihan said the international federation and IOC now needed to look at the format of the competition.

He said: "It is unacceptable for any athlete not to give it their best. I don't think it is wise to have a format which could create the environment and conditions and I'm sure the BWF, an exceptionally good international federation, will have to look at the implications of this."

2. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

:eek::confused::rolleyes: LOL LOL ROFL. That may be the funniest thing I've read this week.

3. RiverGrande

RiverGrande Regular Member

Student
    Good guy IOC :D. Punish the atheles and the mastermind behind them.

4. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

I'd like to see some Olympic bans for some of the coaches, enough has been done to the players. If you hand out bans to the players the coaches will just switch their focus to younger players. Ban some of the coaches and it sends the right message.

An Olympic ban will also mean the coaches get to keep their jobs, especially if you make it a ban for only a single Olympics. As for who to ban... I'm glad I don't have to decide that! Perhaps the coaches who were present by the court and failed to convince their players to put full effort in.

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    who will investigate BWF?

6. bennydut

bennydut Regular Member

student
    Catch LI YONG BO!!! Gantung di Monas!!!

7. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    it's not that hard for china to replace coaches either :) i am not sure about other countries, and china isn't the only team that's doing it. i think LYB is also under pressure to have the team do well. i'm just saying, but maybe he's under pressure as well, maybe if LYB doesn't bring the gold in all badminton events his family will get shot???

8. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

A big slap on BWF's face. If IOC has to investigate the coaches that implies BWF is incompetent to handle the job. Its like me telling my neighbor let me discipline their children for them.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    good analogy. :)