IOC is in meeting - some sports may be dropped

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by KooGuy, Dec 19, 2012.

1. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

But in the end the number of participants is finite so you go on and combine several more federations [if the ones in charge are willing to give up their independence in the first place, besides having all sorts of implications on a national level] and technically open up spots for more sports but that would probably mean less athletes allowed per discipline. Not sure why they are hellbent on having a maximum of 28 "sports" otherwise trimming disciplines and events is the way to go for sure ...

For me tennis, golf should be dropped but I'm sure they are moneymakers for the IOC [I mean the financial gap with the rest of the sports/athletes is just enormous, so much it is almost embarrassing]. Although: making tennis Olympic has caused the increased focus on/popularity of it in (Eastern/mainland) Europe and helped make it what it is today.
    Technically Golf also meets the requirements for inclusion but rather than the pinnacle isn't it nothing more than another Major? But in turn, like in tennis, it could help it make the sport even more popular in other regions. After all Olympic status usually means funding as well ...
    But with Nicklaus, Sorenstam having led the bid and it having been Olympic in the past, in time it might grow to become a pinnacle [and some money will trickle down via IOC to other sports, well whatever doesn't disappear in certain pockets first [​IMG]].
    This article sees some hickups in the Golf format and participation already http://chronicle.augusta.com/sports/golf/2012-08-18/olympic-golf-doesnt-have-be-boring-2016]

This explains the how to become an Olympic sport pretty clear: http://inlineskating.about.com/od/competitiveinlineskating/a/olympic_sport.htm]

And this is how an Olympic bid is promoted ;)
    [video=youtube_share;lBGox9mV49Y]http://youtu.be/lBGox9mV49Y[/video]

2. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

Badminton's future in the Olympics

I was browsing the BBC website this morning and came across this article. Of relevence to us Badminton fans:

According to the article this board meeting is taking place on Tuesday (tomorrow!). The criteria they are using is quoted as including a multitude of different factors

With this many criteria any decision can be reasonably defended. This then opens up the possibility for the decision being decided by politics rather than merit. Without knowing the makeup of the board I'm not sure if this is of benefit to Badminton or not.

Has anyone else heard anything about this, how under threat are we from having our sport dropped?

PS: Doubt the match fixing has helped our cause
    PSS: The BBC has changed the article slightly so my quote is no a longer word for word quote of the article

#22 HappySachs, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    just drop a few swimming and track and field medals. those are unnecessarily inflating medal count for some countries/athletes.

4. HappySachs

In the context of a medal table for ranking countries, the number of swimming medals is a joke. Even viewing that discipline outside of that scope there are far far too many medals; inclusion of pointless strokes (debatable), similar distances, team events. They give the medals out like confetti.

However reducing the number of swimming events won't decrease the number of venues required to host the Olympics, this being an important financial consideration for those hosting the games. Also politically I can't see it happening, a certain sponsor rich country wouldn't allow it :p.

Personally I think it's a nonsense that a sport such as Squash is excluded but you have unathletic sports like Equestrian, Shooting and Archery included. Of those mentioned in the BBC article I would be happy to see Modern Pentathlon booted. I've watched it the last couple of olympics and it's basically a naff version of the triathlon (no cycling) with some shooting, fencing and a horse jumping section that appears to be a total lottery.

#25 HappySachs, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

12/02/2013

[h=5]The Executive Board (EB) of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) today agreed on the 25 sports it will propose to the 125th IOC Session for approval as the core sports for the 2020 Summer Olympic Games.[/h]
    The 25 sports are: athletics, rowing, badminton, basketball, boxing, canoeing, cycling, equestrian, fencing, football, gymnastics, weightlifting, handball, hockey, judo, swimming, modern pentathlon, taekwondo, tennis, table tennis, shooting, archery, triathlon, sailing and volleyball.

The EB recommended that wrestling, governed by the International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles (FILA), not be included on the list of core sports. Wrestling will now join the seven shortlisted sports – baseball/softball, karate, roller sports, sport climbing, squash, wakeboarding and wushu – vying for inclusion in the 2020 Olympic programme as an additional sport.

The eight sports are scheduled to make presentations to the Executive Board at its meeting in St Petersburg, Russia, in May. The EB will select which of the eight sports to recommend to the 125th IOC Session for inclusion as an additional sport on the 2020 programme.

In an effort to ensure the Olympic Games remain relevant to sports fans of all generations, the Olympic Programme Commission systematically reviews every sport following each edition of the Games.

Golf and rugby sevens were added in 2009 as additional sports to the 2016 Olympic programme.

The 125th IOC Session will take place from 7 to 10 September in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    ###

6. HappySachs

Tough break for wrestling. I suppose modern Pentathlon's advantage is that its events used facilities built for other events, so it is cheap to host.

Golf lol. I think the golfers are going to stick out a little bit in the athletes village in 2016 :p.

Good to see Badminton is safe :)

7. Footwork_816

Footwork_816 Regular Member

WOOOO badmintons safe!!!

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    from http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/12/ioc-drops-wrestling-from-2020-olympics/related/

badminton didn't even make it to the final cut list group. we are pretty safe for now.

the list of potential new sport is interesting. i would vote for squash.

9. HappySachs

I would probably put Wrestling back in, failing that I'd like to see squash. I'm kinda surprised that wrestling was dropped, it has a long history in the Olympics and is both physically and technically demanding. If I was a professional wrestler I'd be more than a little annoyed to find my sport had been passed over for horsy dancing and fat golfer's.

Guess it's money that's been calling the shots at the Olympics for a while now

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    cannot agree more.

i hope they ban caddies and golf carts in Rio. then those golfers will finally be doing some exercise.

11. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

carts aren't allowed on tour (unless it's the senior's tour). Caddies are a different story.

12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

As much as I love all those (gold) medals, baseball is a more deserving sport than field hockey to be included (still, surprised they were on the final list). Taekwondo is only in because Karate wasn't organized back when, having multiple federations iirc. Seeing as Taekwondo still hasn't been dropped :)rolleyes:), as good as no chance for Karate.
    As obvious a choice as Modern Pentathlon is, can you really drop the sport invented for the modern Olympics by the man himself [​IMG]. If anything each NOC should be forced to send an entry for it :p.
    Wrestling a surprise up for elimination sport for me as well, didn't see that coming although perhaps those more involved might have. Don't think there are any professional Olympic wrestlers, hope you are not thinking of WWE :D.
    I think Golf and Rugby 7's are a one off for Rio, with 28 sports there and back down to only 26 in 2020.
    I think Squash should be in if table tennis was dropped, seeing as that isn't the case i'd be surprised they will make it and if the Games go to Tokyo, I'm sure the Japanese will be strongly lobbying for Baseball (although those decision are made/announced at the same meeting).
    Personally I'd like to see Roller Sports included (but Squash as well) ...

#33 demolidor, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  13. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    I don't care. the olympics has outlived its usefulness. Badminton is big enough that it doesn't need an artificial platform to project itself.

world cup and the superbowl is bigger than the olympics.

14. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I think most men would agree that women in bikinis should not be taken out of the Olympics.

One criteria about how many different countries medal is a downfall of badminton. As shown, China dominated the Gold in 2012. Hopefully CHN doesn't end up overtaking the sport and I believe Badminton will be in the Olympics for a long time.

15. HappySachs

I'm suprised to see you write that, I'd assumed that field hockey was far more widely played than baseball? I assume that similar to basketball the US would dominate Baseball with their best players trying to dodge the competition harder than if it were a drugs test :p

A compelling sentimental argument...the sports still naff and random though :D

I would drop a few other 'sports' ahead of it, but of those in the list it was my first choice.

hah, yeh, probably should have said 'top level' wrestlers rather than professional.

I've no objection to Rugby 7's sticking around, that's one seriously tough sport.

I'd rather see Squash replace Tennis, for years the Tennis event was dodged by the top players. An Olympic gold is still rated lower than a Grand Slam Title.

Roller Sports?!...really...:D

16. CantSmashThis

Well, the US certainly aren't dominating the World Baseball Classics. Then again not all the top players play it.

17. CantSmashThis

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympi...wrestling-its-spot-in-olympics-201325406.html

"
    Forget arguing the various strengths and weaknesses of each sport. That's often a cultural opinion. This is a global event and tastes vary. In the United States, badminton is considered a joke, something played at backyard barbeques, even occasionally while sober. In the overcrowded cities of third-world countries, however, it's a way to play tennis – basically street tennis for the non-wealthy. They don't have a lot of All-Lawn Tennis Clubs in Malaysia. Millions take badminton seriously and consider watching it at the highest level a sight to behold.
    And that's part of why badminton is a fine Olympic sport.
    Badminton also plays to another Olympic strength – winning the gold medal is a huge deal to those athletes, the pinnacle for most. So is winning a gold medal in modern pentathlon. Same for wrestling. "

18. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

i bet if you asked Andy Murray, he'd tell you that the gold medal meant a lot. Not because of winning on home turf, but finally having beat a legend when it counts the most.

I doubt w/o that gold, he'd win the US Open after what happened at Wimbledon

19. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Yeah, but it means to him a lot because he has beaten Roger Federer. The achievement was Gold in Olympics. And I doubt that the top players care that much about getting a gold medal in Olympics or not. It's rather "nice to have".
    If it would be a "must have" or the highest achievement you can get like in many other disciplines, Roger Federer definitively wouldn't take it the final defeat easy. But he did. Of course because he is a very kind person, but on the other hands, it was really not that important. If it would have been a really must have achievement to Roger, he would haved cried like Lee Chong Wei or any other silver medalists.

#40 Accordaz, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013