Intentional Walkover is bad for the sports

Discussion in 'Vietnam Open / China Open (2) 2007' started by spchu, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spchu

spchu Regular Member

Bad linesmen too....

While you're at it, can you also state my displeasure that linesmen are taken from the host nation....Generally for all sports this has been done....but when
    you are judging for your own country men, you 're bound to be bias, I think I myself would also be bias if my fellow country men are playing, so why BWF never thought of adopting advanced technology to help in bad line calls? We see it adopted in tennis, so why not badminton?

(I know I should start another thread, but dont want to start too many threads in 1 night ;) )

2. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Then they just play and not put any effort into it and loose 21-0,21-0.. so what would be the point ?

/T

3. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    can I have some examples on China ordering walkovers?

4. apontoh

apontoh Regular Member

yeah, BWF should invest in advance technology like Hawkeye in tennis. Each player is given three opportunities to contest a decision. If the challenge is warranted, he doesn't lose his chances. But if the challenge was wrong, then he/she only has two remaining challenges, and so forth.

5. yyclub

yyclub Regular Member

Very sick of the same fxxxxxxx tactic by the Chinese coach.

6. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Still need effort to turn up on court and act. Not that easy.For all the fans to see.They won't leave court with a great feeling.

7. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    It's an internal decision so there's nothing BWF can do short of a polygraph test.

8. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
  9. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    In the 1970s... INA was also notoriously practiced [but never found guilty of] 'match-fixing' the results... It was terrible! Terrible! A lot of players hated PBSI's guts for it. So unethical.

Nowadays, the very people who were victims of the 1970s practice, such as Lius Pongoh, Christian Hadinata etc., never asked their current athletes to throw away matches.

Note: INA players never intentionally walk out. Just purposely loose... As for LYB... I have nothing more to say about him. The more I say my opinion about him, the more likely I will be thrown out of BC. And he is not worth it.

10. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Fan and sponsors are the ones can mostly make the difference. Fan should voice their displeasure thru the organizers and demand for refund. We as member of BF, the largest badminton organized group, can also protest by sending official letter to the organizer.
    Sponsors of badminton equipments/supply like Yonex also should clearly stating the rules to the national association/body. Certainly there are lots of details and loopholes even with the rules but patch them if found.
    We can't fix this problem over night but certainly has to start somewhere.

11. sjoe

sjoe Regular Member

Engineer
    Chen Hong has done it again, he should be shamed. Only through education that can change someone attitude.
    Unfortunately, it will potentially happen in Beijing Olympic. Get use to it now.
    If you want to voice your protest, direct to the China Badminton.

12. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    The overwhelming response in this thread against 'Match-fixing' tells me you bunch are baddy fans, I am too, but if any of you are CHN butt kissers, you would support/condone and defend LYB like "BWF did not term it illegal, so what's the problem" "if you have the power to do it why not" "I see nothing wrong and have no problem with match fixing" and so on. Feel sad for the fans who pay to watch a fixed game.
    Even if CHN does not fix games, CHN will still win most tournaments because she is so strong, but by fixing and resting her players, she just enhance her chances of winning.

13. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Money and power talks...players are pawn, get used to it.

14. jgao_net

jgao_net Regular Member

student
    yahh, they shouldnt be doing the walk over thing. play all your games regardless if you're up against a team memeber if you want to walk over due to injure, get a doctor to examine it to make sure they arent bs'ing around.

also, i dont know why ppl are so upset over the line calls. most of them are pretty close, going either way especially in the MDQF KRvs.CHN. to say they're leaning towards the chinese is incorrect as i recall there were numerous close ones in both the LD and zhu lin games, with all the points going to their opponents.
    secondly concerning the lines mens/women coming from the host nation, aren't all tournament run like that?? it's a lot more cost effective to hire people from their own country than to fly them from all over the world just to call a couple of games.

lastly, not many countries/players can afford not to go to tournaments such as the China Open SS and the China Masters. the prestige of winning these tournaments are high, with lots of prize money, superseries points and important world ranking points for the olympic games.

15. Natrificial

Natrificial Regular Member

Articling Student
    LYB is a joke

LYB is a joke and has no shame, enough said.

His target.. max medals at olympics is a joke too cause the olympics are a joke in terms of real competition.

Personally, if I were a guy ranked 216 but I lived in Oceania and qualified for the olympics but I took the place of the world ranked 5 chinese player, I'd give my spot to him or boycott the Olympics in protest. Thats real sportsmanship cause as much as LYB is a joke, the olympics are also just politics.

16. super__gao

super__gao Regular Member

is that not the goal for all countries attending the olympics??

it needs to be hard evidence eh? as in, a BWF coming or something along the lines of that and stating whether a player should WO or not.

and for all you guys wanting to sign a petition or whatever, the one big thing you guys are lacking is.... PROOF. yah we here at BC all know that china will occasionally fix a match for the good of the country. but you guys can't go around making assumptions saying that CH purposely walked over so BCL is fresh to play PSH.
    what happened if CH really was really injured or something like that??

17. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

That's a lof of suppositions you're doing here.
    Three walkover from Chen Hong on the same year, and you think it's not a coincidence?
    Team Zhao and Xu walkover for Xie and Zhang, knowing full well that Zhang
    played earlier. Why? Maybe so she can rest for her two matchs tomorrow?

It is good for a country to win medals. Chinese players are very talented and train hard to be the best. If they are good, they don't need match fixing to win the tournament. Yet they should play every match, like every players from any country does. That's basic sportsmanship and equal fairness.

You need proof? You admit that China occasionally fix a match for the good of the country... How is that for proof?

Walkover should be forbidden. They should only be granted upon review of a comittee.

18. sumbadder

sumbadder Regular Member

Agreed. Zhu Lin's game was a pretty good example of close calls going against her.

Anyways, match fixing: Yeah it sucks, yeah it's been going on for a while. But unfortunately for the rest of the competition, the depth of CHN affords them many opportunities to do it and so they exploit it. I don't see what an investigation would do other than confirm what we already know though. And there doesn't seem to be a viable way to stop it from happening as no one except the parties involved knows the truth and to punish the CHN team would have a negative effect on the sport as well as it is a huge part of it. iunno....

19. kungfukid

kungfukid Regular Member

U r making urself a joke.
    U want proof? I won't give u cos LYB had done so.
    He admitted in the chinese media about the fixing matches n said it's for the honor of the country. Shame on him as he was a sportsman before. By doing this, he's actually dishonoring his country n destroying some great players' future. Zhou mi's case is the most miserable one. Forcing to lost tamely to Zhang Ning in Athens' Olympic semi final. Imaging how hard a player has trained to realise her dream becoming an Olympic champion but only to see her teammate sent to the podium by her coach. This makes me mad seriously.

I'm sure you can read chinise. Here u go, give urself a lesson.
    http://www.bbeshop.com/news/2007/news_20071113a.htm
    http://www.bbeshop.com/news/2007/news_20071117d.htm

20. spchu

spchu Regular Member

Weird that some ppl still want proof when it's blatantly done....Now, where is that petition....;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.