Ineffective smash

Discussion in 'Jonas Rasmussen Forum' started by BadGone, Sep 24, 2006.

1. BadGone

BadGone Regular Member

HI Jonas,

I get to move my opponent round the court and create an opening for a smash, usually I in good position but just can't get it right...
    Either the bird goes in the net or out of court but most often the opponent get it straight back with a drive and then I'm in defence usually lose the point....too bad !

Aprt from avoiding the smash (which actually I tend to do) I wonder whether there are some routines or any other advice that could help.

Many many thanks

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Maybe you are focusing to much on power rather than placement. Practice your smashes before a match hitting juts down the center and then once you have mastered that, practice hitting down the sides.

Remember to stop for a fraction of a sec before you smash and this will increase power and accuracy. (This is what Lee Jae Bok says)

Hope this helps :)

3. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    i think, you should stop thinking about pure power, instead try to throw in some cross court smashes, then a straight line smash

4. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

Same as me when I was newbie. I put my focus on power becuz Its amuse me.
    But lately I began to realize power isnt the main problem. Its placement. No matter how powerful you smash, if its on a straight line, opponent will return it happily.

So focusing on left-right with downward trajectory comes first. When you're getting used to it, time to put some force, step by step.. then enjoy your smash ^.^

I can control my smash a lot better after 1 year of intense playing. Hope this can help

5. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    They've said everything. All I can do now is reiterate.

When performing a smash, angle is more important than power.
    When I say angle, it means that the direction of the shuttle should be sharp, meaning, in a downward path. That way, the only option of the opponent is to lift it high in the back court, which is the safest for them, or drop it in the front court, which is too risky because it could open up for a kill or a quick push.

The power of your smash could work against you if the angle is flat, meaning, the direction of the shuttle is sort of parallel to the ground, because all the opponent has to do is raise his racket and drive the shuttle back, using the force of your smash as his source of power, making the return quick, therefore, could catch you off guard.

Once you're used to hitting a sharp angle, you could gradually increase the power. And then, learn to add a little variation to change the phase of the game, like slicing inward or outward, to at least decieve the opponent.

I hope this helps.

6. pasifik

pasifik Regular Member

enterpreneur
    I aggree with you man. playing badminton is not only about power but also try to play in effective and efficient way.

http://badminton-a-hobby.blogspot.com/

7. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Wow! This is such a cool link. I also have a blog that I plan to make badminton as the major topic. I'm just too busy to update it regularly.

Now going back to the topic, and also to reiterate what I posted, I think a smash is the most offensive stroke in badminton if done correctly. But like I said, we have to be careful because it could work against us. Thus, power combined with a good placement is the key to an effective smash.

8. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    hey guys im new to the forums im from australia!!!

umm started baddy when i was 15 played till i was 18 then by this stage was at National level!
    just had a year off and am gettin back into training :)

ummm some advice....best thing to work on before you even consider power is angle. You can have all the power in the world but a sharp angle followed by accurate placement will be more effective then anything.

begin by running some simple drills. It can be as simple as someone feeding you shuttles and you aiming for a shuttle tube on the other side of the net. Start with no power as if you just relaxfully swinging through the stroke. When you feel comfortable. Start a half smash.

Same thing once your comfortable...Beging full power. And again comfortable then try jump smash. Once youv got the straight forward sequence WHICH WILL TAKE TIME>> MAYBE WEEKS OR MONTHS!!!!!! Then you can start moviing left and right around the court and doing pretend rally drills finishing off with a jump smash down the line or something.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU MUST BE BEHIND THE SHUTTLE WHEN HITTING IT FOR THE MOST EFFECTIVE ANGLE!!
    just my thoughts :)

9. JR

JR Regular Member

Professional Badmintonplayer
    Good Advice!

Hi Guys!

This thread contains a lot of good advice for smashing. The advice about placement and angle is a key-factor for getting an effective smash. If you only go for power the smash will be too predictable and we dont want that :) You may also consider practising both smashes with 100% power and smashes with only 80% power. Taking 20% off your smash will give you a better positioning on the next stroke and keep your balance. In this way ou will be able to make different variations on your smash regarding to angle and different power and your opponent will be left clueless.

When you practise your hardest smash it´s important you only use it when you have good balance and not when you´re under pressure on the backline. Otherwise, use angle and 60%-80% smashes to give yourself a chance to be ready for the next one where you might get a chance to do a 100% smash.

Kind Regards

JR

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

#10 ctjcad, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010