Indonesia Open 2006 website

Discussion in 'Indonesia Open 2006 / Philippine Open 2006' started by seawell, May 26, 2006.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

To have bilingual or not to have...

event,
    i don't know how this ended up with a long discussion between you and me over a silly issue of whether to use bilingual or not over a silly Indonesian Open website..And i was already going to close this case, but since you respond even longer, hehe, i just want to make 2 comments:
    First, which one would you *prefer*, an Indonesian-only website or English based website. Or let's say any other language, other than Chinese or Korean(which you know), which one would choose? If you propose to have bilingual website for IBF tourneys, one for local/native speakers and the other in English, now imagine those people who are reading and following the info in their own native/local language, if they go and follow in other international IBF tourney website, which language will they be reading and understand, taking into account they don't understand the other language??..Don't you think it's English??..:rolleyes:
    And second, since this IO website is updating very2 slow, which you and many can see and experience, imagine this a bilingual service website, how "much work" is there to be done, let alone a 1 language based website..:p:rolleyes: :(
    My choice is, if anyone is going to do a website on IBF tourneys, stick with one common language, English, in presentation and run with it. Forget abt setting it up in bilingual or trilingual format. And don't forget to update all the live scores or what-have-you...hehe:p :rolleyes:

#21 ctjcad, May 31, 2006
    Last edited: May 31, 2006
  2. event

event Regular Member

I don't know if the issue is that silly. You bring up an interesting question. If it is proven that bilingual sites are impossible and I say I'd prefer an English-only site, that makes me a) irrelevant because the organizers are the ones who decide on the language of the site; and b) insensitive to the needs of the people who are more likely than I am to actually attend the tournament. I could do without English websites if they hinder people who might actually go to watch, for whom the info on the site is more than just a curiosity as it is for me. I went without any pro badminton knowledge for 30 years. I could keep stumbling around non-English sites a little longer for their sake.

When the Korea Open first went to English-only, I found more up-to-date information on the koreabadminton.org site and I wondered if the lack of English-proficient personnel were the reason for the delays. That may not be the problem with the Indonesian Open site. It seems to me the IO didn't even have a site not too long ago. Does that sound familiar?

One alternative to an IBF requirement for an English-only site would be for the IBF to set up its own site with live scoring and draw sheets in English with tournament organizers having the power to update for their tournament. That would save the tournament organizers the trouble of re-inventing the wheel for each tournament. Judging from the state of its new website, the IBF lacks either the will or the resources or the competence to do something like that, but it might be a fairer alternative to making exigencies on the part of tournament organizers whom the IBF isn't paying, and who may have difficulty setting up a whole site in English.

#22 event, May 31, 2006
  3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

event, i was abt to stop replying altogether, but you kept on baiting me..anyways...:p
    Hmm, true, it's not totally impossible to have a bilingual or even trilingual website, if the website organizer wants to-more power to them. But also looking at your points above which i've highlighted in bold, could that also be vice-versa, say if the website is not provided in an English-language, could that also mean the organizers are being "insensitive" to us non-native language people who wants to follow that particular tourney/website?? I mean, i'm sure you know the majority of people knowing the language of English is much more than any other language, well, maybe Chinese language is close in competition.
    Sure some people could do without an English only website, i've tried it also, by just "blindly" clicking one link to another, but i believe that's as far as one can roam...and most likely end up saying to ourselves "Help, where is an English site for this??"..:p

Hmm, that doesn't make sense. I mean don't tell me there are *less* English-speaking able people in Korea than Indonesia..?!?!..I'm sure there are quite a few of them in Korea..:rolleyes:
    Sure, there hasn't even been a website dedicated to the IO in the past, well as far as i know of. Cos maybe the organizer wasn't really concerned abt making one or could be there's no budget..?!?!..:rolleyes: :p

This idea of yours sounds better and plausible. Hey, how abt the idea of IBF having full control of all media outlets(let it be TV/cable or live web broadcasting for us fans)..just like here in the U.S., most of the major sports is somewhat "controlled" by the league(ie. NFL, NBA, MLB)
    Hmm, now imagine if that idea really comes into fruition, could it be the missing solution to their marketing strategy??(which is of course a whole different topic altogether)..:( :rolleyes: :)

#23 ctjcad, May 31, 2006
  4. event

event Regular Member

Baiting? I realize this is all good-natured debate but of course it hasn't escaped my attention that you're only offering to stop debating on the condition that you get the last word. If you were conceding points in that last word, it might work - and both of us are conceding more with each post so I think we agree on more than the length of the exchange might suggest - but you did ask me a few ostensibly rhetorical questions which I though warranted genuine answers.
    Fair enough, but as a person who benefits daily from being a speaker of a language that the whole world seems to need to learn, I feel the need to hold myself to a higher standard when it comes to sensitivity to the effort involved in producing translations I might demand. I mean, the opportunity to communicate in my mother tongue is handed to me on a silver platter in country after country and in most cases I have neither the will nor the means to reciprocate. Non-native speakers have far more right than I have to demand information in an international language that they have learned at great expense.
    Yes, I didn't explain that well. My point about Indonesia was more that the existence of a tournament website at all is a more recent development, and so a lack of experience, rather than the language barrier, might be a more likely cause for hiccups in the operation of this year's site. This is pure conjecture, however. In the case of Korea, there is not a lot of English competence in badminton circles, to be sure, but the online badminton community is quite well-developed, as is the Internet in general. Therefore, I'm more likely to blame problems on the language barrier, especially when the information goes up on the KBA website, in Korean, much faster.

#24 event, May 31, 2006
  5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

In most if not all of my replies, I'm just putting my point across as logically as possible, even if you thought i may be asking a "few ostensibly rhetorical questions" and needed "a genuine answers"(and in a way prolonging this discussion). Anyways, I'll leave this one up in the air for the rest of the BCers in here to read and decide/or not decide on the comments i highlighted in bold(probably they could care less abt what we are discussing) for themselves. Yes, you're right, i'm trying to concede and close this discussion and move on. :p :)
    Sorry, i may not catch what you meant or your point. But are you referring to the English language being "a language that the whole world seems to need to learn"??..
    As you mentioned, I understand abt "the existence of an IO website is a recent development", and IMO, it could be due to many factors. Last, not to sound as if i'm pointing fingers, but if i(or anyone else) was to track back on this thread, i believe it was you who "started" by mentioning and elaborating abt having to have "bilingual" website in response to CLELY's post, which turned out to be a slight misunderstanding..
    anyways, let's move on..:p :)

#25 ctjcad, May 31, 2006
  6. event

event Regular Member

Yes.
    Yes, it was me. I take full responsibility.

7. sickgal

sickgal Regular Member

but i would like to ask from this website..where should i go if i wanna get the latest result??? :confused: :confused: as i said when i clicked at the 'result' it gave me the list of the winner of the tournament...not the thing that i want...:mad: :crying:

8. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

It is a lousy site !!!

9. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

and....the website needs lots of help ! Look at the results page....elementary job.

10. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

Whoa.. those are really long threads up there, guys...

About this website, the only thing i can say is dat i coudnt find what i really want here