Indonesia Open 2005-FINALS(25/09/2005)

Discussion in 'China Masters 2005 / Indonesian Open 2005' started by tony rules, Sep 24, 2005.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Congrats Markis and Hendra..

Congrats to MarkisK&HendraS...They have now won back to back "big" tourneys..They were my "dark horse" pair in the MD event, prior to them winning. But now, after winning their last 2 tourneys, i'm expecting them to continue their *magnificent* performance in the upcoming tourneys..
    Perhaps PBSI intention of not allowing them to come to the recent WC "did wonders" to their psyche, playing like "gangbusters" lately..PBSI must be smiling now upstairs..:) :rolleyes: :cool:

We shall see how MK/HS perform in the near future. Hopefully their latest success will boost their confidence and they won't become overconfident and lazy. Personally, I think, they are more "consistent" than the Alven/Luluk pairing.. :rolleyes: :)

2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

My congrats too...and my predictions did come true. I think they were personally disappointed not being sent to the WC last mth. Although I don't think they can reach the semi-final (as was the target by PBSI), I thought a quarter-final berth will be reachable. Instead, Flandy/Eng Hian (who were ranked lower) were sent and got into the quarter-final. Of course, its time for Markis/Hendra to win a tournament or two this year after the recent disappointments at Singapore and Malaysia Open.

I am glad that they show their true potential by winning two back-to-back tournaments. Along the way, they have beaten several top pairs, including no 6 ranked Jung Jae Sung/Lee Jae Jin (whom I reckon will be their biggest threat to be world no 1 in the coming years), former world champions and world no 1 Candra Wijaya/Sigit Budiarto, world no 3 Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen, and world no 11 Tan Bin Shen/Ong Soon Hock.

I watched the match just now and was impressed by the sheer attacking power of the young duo. Candra/Sigit (who were normally good in defense) simply could not respond in the first and last set. I also agree with your comment that this young pair has more prospect than Luluk/Alven. Both are only 21 years old...(at least 3 years younger than Luluk/Alven) and along with Hendra Gunawan/Joko Riyadi (23/20), I rate these two pairs as Indonesia's main double pairs in the coming years to come. Hendra/Joko is slowly moving up and will be ranked no 25 by next week.

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Some reliable source told me that sometimes when players from both countries face each other in the finals, under certain special circumstances , the lower ranked players will be "given" the win for the purpose for higher ranking points to advance for future tournaments. Like what i said, only under special circumstances. I'm not implying this happen in the recently concluded Indo Open.

4. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Article from Antara news...

Can someone be kind enough to translate this article (in Indonesian) to the ppl here? I am a little bit too lazy to do that at the moment (need to wake up early in the morning)...hehe...perhaps ctjcad can do that....:D thanks in advance!

INDONESIA OPEN 2005 AJANG PEMBUKTIAN GANDA MARKIS/HENDRA Jakarta (ANTARA News) - Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan membuktikan diri mereka sebagai calon ganda putra terkuat Indonesia setelah menundukkan pasangan nomor satu dunia Candra Wijaya/Sigit Budiarto pada final turnamen Djarum Indonesia Terbuka 2005, Minggu.

Markis/Kido berhasil merebut mahkota juara turnamen berhadiah total 250.000 dollar AS itu setelah menang tiga set, 15-10, 12-15, 15-3 di Istora Gelora Bung Karno, Jakarta.

Melalui permainan cepat dan penempatan bola silang yang akurat, Markis/Kido berhasil memimpin jauh 11-3 pada set pertama. Candra/Sigit berhasil mengejar hingga 10-13, akan tetapi sebuah smes keras Hendra membuat finalis Kejuaraan Dunia 2005 itu harus kehilangan set pertama, 10-15.

Candra/Sigit bangkit pada set kedua dan menunjukkan mengapa mereka disebut-sebut sebagai pasangan yang memiliki pertahanan terbaik di dunia. Tertinggal 8-11, mereka malah berhasil mengejar dan memenangkan set tersebut 15-12.

Markis/Kido rupanya benar-benar ingin membuktikan bahwa mereka telah pantas untuk menggantikan senior mereka tersebut dengan menunjukkan permainan yang sangat baik pada set ketiga. Tanpa kesulitan, pasangan yang telah bersama sejak 2003 itu langsung melaju 8-0.

Sebuah pukulan Candra yang menyangkut di net, memastikan Markis/Kido memperoleh gelar kedua setelah mereka memenangkan Kejuaraan Asia 2005 di Hyderabad pada 6 September lalu.

"Kami senang bisa mengalahkan pasangan terbaik di dunia dan membuktikan bahwa kami mampu untuk menjadi juara," kata Markis Kido usai pertandingan.

Menurut dia, kegagalan untuk berangkat ke Kejuaraan Dunia di Anaheim California Agustus lalu menjadi motivasi besar untuk merebut sebanyak-banyaknya gelar, termasuk Indonesia Terbuka.

Pasangan yang menempati peringkat 10 IBF itu lalu mengatakan bahwa target berikut mereka adalah mencapai prestasi terbaik pada Belanda Terbuka pada 11-16 Oktober dan Denmark Terbuka yang berlangsung 18-23 Oktober.

Sementara itu Candra dan Sigit mengakui bahwa permainan junior mereka kali itu memang jauh lebih baik dan sangat pantas untuk menjadi juara.

"Mereka memainkan bola-bola cepat dengan baik dan kami tidak bisa mengimbangi mereka," kata Sigit mengomentari kekalahannya pada final itu.

Sigit juga menyatakan bahwa Markis/Kido telah pantas untuk disebut sebagai calon pengganti mereka sebagai pasangan terbaik Indonesia dan dunia.

"Kami berharap permainan mereka terus konsisten dan berkembang makin pesat," ujarnya.

Sementara Candra mengaku tidak terlalu kecewa terhadap kegagalan mereka untuk menjadi juara setelah sebelumnya mereka juga gagal menjadi juara dunia, kalah dari pasangan Amerika Serikat, Tony Gunawan/Howard Bach.

"Pencapaian ini sudah maksimal dan tidak semua orang bisa mencapai final. Lagipula yang mengalahkan kami adalah para junior yang akan menggantikan kami. Namun kami yakin bisa berbuat lebih baik dari pada hari ini," kata Candra lalu mengatakan bahwa mereka akan segera melupakan kekalahan ini dan menatap ke depan.

Dengan kemenangan itu, Markis/Kido memperoleh hadiah sebesar 18.000 dollar AS, sementara Candra/Sigit mengantungi 10.000 dollar AS.(*)

5. badMania

badMania Regular Member

It could happen...as we have seen pretty frequently in women's doubles involving young and senior Chinese pairs. To players like Candra/Sigit, winning another Indonesia Open (which they have won twice) probably won't mean as much as winning the All England or World Championships. So, they could probably have relaxed a bit and see how far their juniors can go. But, Markis/Hendra is playing very well and they fully deserve they title after beating two former world champions.

We also saw in the mixed doubles that Nova/Butet somehow look pretty relaxed in the first set and allowed their younger compatriot to close behind 13-14. Only when they showed their true power in the second set that we could see which is the better pair at the moment. Anggun/Tetty still has a lot to improve....especially Anggun!

6. CG 99

CG 99 Regular Member

student
    I've been away for a month so i might have missed the explanation to this, but why do the chinese players not play in this?

7. lumix

lumix Regular Member

Congratulations to Markis and Hendra! They were so inspired during the match and deserved the win. IMHO they understand each other much better than the Alven/Luluk pair. And they do not quarrel. :) Hopefully they would not become complacent in future.

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Antara news translation..

Sure, here goes the translation. I noticed Antara news made some typo, naming Markis/Kido instead of Markis/Hendra...

Indonesia Open 2005 A Proven Ground for Men's Double pair Markis/Hendra, Jakarta (ANTARA News)- Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan proved themselves as one of Indonesia's Men Double's strongest candidate, after defeating the no.1 ranked Men Double pair in the world Candra Wijaya/Sigit Budiarto in the Final of the 2005 Djarum Indonesia Open, Sunday.

Markis Kido/Hendra Setiwawan successfully grabbed the Men Double's title, with a prized money of US$250,000 after winning in 3 sets, 15-10, 12-15, 15-3 at Istora Gelora Bung Karno, Jakarta.

Utilizing fast rallies and accurate cross court shots, Markis/Hendra were able to lead 11-3 in the first game. Candra/Sigit was able to catch up the score until 10-13, but a hard smash from Hendra forced the 2005 World Championship's finalist to relinquish the 1st game, 10-15.

But Candra/Sigit rose to the occasion in the 2nd game and proved why they have been called many times as having one of the best defense in the world. Trailing 8-11, they were able to catch up and won the 2nd game 15-12.

Hendra/Hendra apparently wanted to prove that they deserve to be the ones to replace their seniors by showing a very stable game in the 3rd game. Without any difficulties, the pair which have been together since 2003 quickly led 8-0.

Candra's shot which returned to the net, all but guaranteed Markis/Hendra winning the title after their victory in the 2005 Asian Badminton Championship in Hyderabad last September 6th.

"We are happy to be able to defeat the best pair in the world and proved that we are capable of becoming a champion" said Markis Kido after the match.

According to him, their failure of going to the World Championship in Anaheim, California last August became their biggest motivation for them to win as many titles, including the Indonesian Open.

The pair which currently ranked no. 10 in the world, said their next main target is to reach the best possible result in the Dutch Open on October 11-16 and Denmark Open which is slated for October 18-23.

Meanwhile, Candra and Sigit acknowledged that the play of their juniors was much better and they deserved to be champions.

"They played very fast rallies against us and we weren't able to match them" said Sigit commenting on their Final match's defeat.

Sigit also said Markis/Hendra deserved to be "called" as their "successor" as "Indonesia's and World's best pair".--- :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

"We hope their game can be consistent and keep improving even more" he said.

Meanwhile Candra acknowledged he wasn't disappointed with their defeat after recently failing to become World Champions, losing from the American pair, Tony Gunawan/Howard Bach.

"This result is already maximum and not everyone can reach the Final. Besides, the pair who defeated us are our juniors who will replace us. But we feel we can do much better than today" said Candra who also said they will quickly forget this defeat and look forward ahead.

With this win, Markis/Hendra will take a large prize money of US$18.000, while Candra/Sigit collected US$10,000.

#128 ctjcad, Sep 25, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  9. Sammy

Sammy Regular Member

Engineer
    Do you guys/gals think MC can match Wang Chen if she was in the final?

10. Sammy

Sammy Regular Member

Engineer
    Chin/Wong were totally outplayed by Lee/Lee. I think Chin/Wong still has a lot to learn. Their smashes are not powerful. net play not tight enough and too many enforce errors made. I hope Rexy can make them become a formidable pair. During the final they made too many mistakes and enfore errors and slow too making Lee/Lee earning easy points. Lee/Lee were good but its difficult to judge as the Chinese pairs were not there.

11. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Their coach is Cheah Soon Kit, don't know how much contact they have with Rexy. If they can beat Saralee/Sathinee, I don't see why they should go out easily to anyone, so perhaps it's a matter of consistency.

12. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    I would guess no, as Wang Chen has dominated over Wong Mew Choo everytime they meet.

13. Sammy

Sammy Regular Member

Engineer
    I thought I saw Rexy and Kim Hock on the coach seats yesterday during the match. I guess Soon Kit was not there. I think Rexy should take over this pair to improve on their smashing and speed and let Soon Kit groom other pairs.

14. Sammy

Sammy Regular Member

Engineer
    Hmm...how many times have they meet? From the Final look like Wang Chen was way too superior than Mia.

15. Ningtyas

Ningtyas Regular Member

Actually Mia and Wang Chen had met countless time and they beat each other. I do not know the head-to-head record, though.

Mia was not so focus in her final match yesterday, partly because she's in rush to catch the plane. She flew back to Holland just after the game...

16. Badmincraze

Badmincraze Regular Member

if i din hear the commentator wrongly, think i heard her saying they've met 14 times n head-to-head is 7-7... so Wang Chen made it 8-7 yesterday... :rolleyes:

17. wanalexwan

wanalexwan Regular Member

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]From www.worldbadminton.net[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    PLAYER HEAD-TO-HEAD
    [/font]

Mia AUDINA TJIPTAWAN ~ 7 - 7 Chen WANG ~ [​IMG] NED National Authority HKG [​IMG] 22 Aug 1979 Date of Birth 21 Jun 1976 Jakarta Place of Birth Beijing, China 161 Height 170 - Weight - Right Right/Left Handed Right
    Year Tournament & Nation Round Winner Score 2004 YONEX ALL ENGLAND OPEN 2004
    ENGLAND
    Quarter-Finals AUDINA TJIPTAWAN ~ 11-5 11-0 2003 CHINA OPEN 2003
    P. R. OF CHINA
    Quarter-Finals WANG ~ 8-11 5-11 2003 CHINESE TAIPEI OPEN 2003
    CHINESE TAIPEI
    Semi-Finals AUDINA TJIPTAWAN ~ 11-2 11-3 2003 Korea Open 2003
    KOREA
    Gold Medal Final AUDINA TJIPTAWAN ~ 11-3 10-13 11-0 1998 Japan Open 1998 (I)
    JAPAN
    Quarter-Finals WANG ~ 3-11 6-11 1997 World Championships 1997 (I)
    SCOTLAND
    Quarter-Finals WANG ~ 6-11 4-11 1996 Indonesia Open 1996 (I)
    INDONESIA
    Semi-Finals WANG ~ 2-11 11-4 8-11 1995 All England Open 1995
    ENGLAND
    Quarter-Finals AUDINA TJIPTAWAN ~ 10-12 12-11 12-10 Team Tournaments Year Tournament & Nation Round Winner Score 2003 Sudirman Cup 2003
    NETHERLANDS
    TEAM WANG ~ 6-11 8-11 2002 Uber Cup Finals (CHN) 2002 TF
    P. R. OF CHINA
    TEAM AUDINA TJIPTAWAN ~ 7-5 7-1 7-5 1997 World Grand Prix Finals 97 IR
    INDONESIA
    TEAM AUDINA TJIPTAWAN ~ 12-9 7-11 12-9 1996 World Cup 1996 (IR)
    INDONESIA
    TEAM WANG ~ 9-11 11-3 7-11 1996 Uber Cup Finals 1996
    HONG KONG
    TEAM AUDINA TJIPTAWAN ~ 11-4 11-6 1995 World Grand Prix Finals 95 IR
    SINGAPORE
    TEAM WANG ~ 12-11 10-8

18. Ningtyas

Ningtyas Regular Member

ctcad, did Sigit really put it that way? Maybe the writer put it incorrectly.
    I believe the following is what Sigit really said about Markis/Hendra after the match.
    (Quoted by KoranTempo 26/9/2005)
    "Mereka bisa menjadi penerus kami jika tetap konsisten dengan permainan yang seperti ini."

It's really different, isn't it? :)

#138 Ningtyas, Sep 26, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  19. Badmincraze

Badmincraze Regular Member

Can anyone pls translate the above sentence? Thank you... :)

20. peace

peace Regular Member

Badmincraze, maybe it goes like this :

"They will be our next generation (means Indonesian future pair after Candra/Sigit) if they are consistent like they played today (in the Indonesian Open 2005 Final)"

Hope you get it:p