Indonesia Badminton

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by kidosetiawan, May 15, 2007.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Can you explain what the audition is? Why is it important?

2. minions

minions Regular Member

The audition is basically searching for the new talents (kids) from all over INA afaik. PB Djarum has done this for years. All is good until a certain organization accused PB Djarum for children's exploitation. That organization claims that by holding the audition, it will promote the usage of tobacco. Djarum company's main product is cigarette. The conflict is on until PB Djarum has decided to stop the audition starting for next year. As PB Djarum is the club that has consistently producing world class players for generations, this is seriously hurt INA's badminton in the future.

If there is something missing in my post, anyone can help enlighten this.

3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Not to mention Kevin is one of their latest Big talent to note from the audition uears ago too.

badito likes this.
  4. sen

sen Regular Member

Let me explain in neutral position.

PB Djarum(Djarum badminton club) has been holding audition for any youngsters who wants to apply for their scholarship money. Those who get selected will get education and of course must train with PB Djarum.

A government body told PB Djarum that if they are sincere, then they should not use the name PB Djarum as no cigarette sponsorship is allowed.

So PB Djarum decided they will stop from next year. I guess they don't want to change club name. I don't think they violate law by doing advertisement of cigarette and definitely they do not exploit the children.

I think if any government really feel that cigarette is bad then they should not just ban advertisement, they should ban it, make it like drug, catch everyone who sells or smoke. Djarum and other cigarette companies are always trying to do soft advertising (borderline of what is scope of advertising). Djarum scholarship is not just in badminton, I think they have in other like art and others. I think in the past Sampoerna(another cigarette) even create some schools with the Sampoena foundation name.

LenaicM, wade, minions and 2 others like this.
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Are you telling me PB Djarum school will cease to exist?

6. ebcd

ebcd Regular Member

not the school, just the national audition I believe.
    and hopefully it's just a temporary thing, they also said that there will be internal discussion about a new format (for the audition).

"... Tetapi sementara akan dihentikan dulu tahun depan, dan kami akan diskusi di dalam mengenai format kedepannya seperti apa," tegas Yoppy.
    https://www.pbdjarum.org/berita/aud...um-pamit?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

No audition means no new scholarships.

8. ebcd

ebcd Regular Member

true but this national audition is not the only way PB Djarum recruits their players, cmiiw.

Cheung likes this.
  9. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

So they are only against the audition or it's the whole foundation for using Djarum's name?

Doesn't make any sense. What kind of organization is that?

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

It looks to me it’s the association of the Djarum brand and smoking with sports sponsorship, and also youngsters who are more susceptible to long term smoking.

In most sports around the world, tobacco companies are barred from sports sponsorships. Indonesia is a bit of an exception. Nobody can argue the contribution of Djarum to Indonesian National team and National glory over the decades and I guess that’s why they were treated with flexibility.

BWF started barring tobacco companies from sponsoring events around the 1980. I remember seeing a picture of Morten Frost maybe taken around 1979 with a John Player advertisement.

11. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Does INA have other sponsor?

Djarum is the biggest contribution for badminton in Indonesia. The highest prize in money of all BWF world tour tournaments. Still is, though it has started to change the name to Blibli.

Whether Djarum is sincere or not, that's like asking if all company sponsor anything without asking anything in return? Foundation with company or people's name are common. They want to be known how "generous" they are and how they are returning back to the society.

12. minions

minions Regular Member

Probably the whole foundation connected to Djarum. There is something fishy behind the complaint.

The organization is KPAI. KPAI stands for Komisi Perlindungan Anak Indonesia (Indonesian's Child Protection Committee). There are already some cases or situations where the children shouldn't take part in an activity, but that organization didn't do anything. If you are interested, we can do the PM.

13. minions

minions Regular Member

I think there are other sponsors. But, if the biggest sponsor has been cut down, it will cause a great loss. There is no way INA badminton will be the same if Djarum is no longer sponsoring INA badminton.

badito likes this.
  14. sen

sen Regular Member

Of course there are other companies who are willing to give sponsor. But I think Djarum is the one who usually willing to give a high amount of money. Anyway, regardless of that, all contributions should be welcome, there should not be discrimination of what is allowed and what is not allowed.

On another topic, I believe tobacco is worse than drugs and gambling because other people suffer when people smoke whereas drugs and gambling mostly affect the user only, if the addicts cause problem to other people, then it is a crime whereas smokers cause harm to other people but are not being punished. So if the KPAI really thinks it is bad, they should not just not allowing Djarum to hold audition.
    But of course, banning will not solve the problem just like gambling still exists even though it it illegal

And obviously, there are politics or some people may have some motives.

minions likes this.
  15. minions

minions Regular Member

16. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Though tobacco is affecting directly people in the surroundings, drugs and gambling will not only affect the user only but also others (direct families, not to mention if they had to resort to crime to get their money etc). None of this abusing habits are good. In many countries, there are restriction on where people can smoke in public. In Japan for instance, they always provide smoking rooms in shopping centers or even enclosed open (only by glasses) public areas so it won't disturb the other users. They are trying to prohibit people to smoke while walking (but still some do it anyway) by providing ash bins near stations where considerate people will stop and finish their smoke there. Or Australia is enforcing a non smoking law inside buildings or restaurants.

Anyway, I am not buying this complaint has anything to do with concerns about preventing young people to take to smoking or child exploitation at all. Probably they are hoping for some "shut up" money from Djarum or some involved parties.

17. minions

minions Regular Member

18. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

Even when he's not playing anymore he still love controversy

Lot of fans are unhappy with taufik's comment here

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

What did he say

20. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Oh geez..

Taufik is even more flamboyant than Kevin wkwk. I wonder what Kevin thinks of that..