'Individual' players

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Littlejohn, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Littlejohn

Littlejohn Regular Member

Lazy Bum
    Can a player enter a super series event as an individual rather than a player registered by a National Body?

Could Lin Dan or LCW simply enter in the same way as Nadal or Murrey would in Tennis. Forget all the issues about funding travel, coaching, accomodation and the woeful lack of cash in the sport etc just wondering if it was possible or do the BWF rgs not allow this

2. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Among spectators, players, and federations, this is an ongoing discussion. For instance, we have recently discussed the matter in this forum thread.

The current BWF regulations are clear: the national federation (Member Association from the point of view of BWF) must register (and thus can also prevent a player from playing, simply by doing nothing):

blabl likes this.
  3. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

I'm not sure about my info but for what i know Hendra Setiawan and Tan Boon Heong are independent players already. I guess that's one reason why they managed to become the current MD partners.

blabl likes this.
  4. phihag

phihag Regular Member

That is correct. Players can be independent, i.e. not receiving money from the federation or other national programs, training by themselves, and not fulfilling other requirements of the national squad. That's between them and their federation.

But if the players want to compete at BWF tournaments, the federation has to register them.

blabl likes this.
  5. Littlejohn

Littlejohn Regular Member

Lazy Bum
    So the federation can basicaly prevent a player from copeting anywhere in the world ?

Has this been tested in the Court of Arbitration in sport?

blabl likes this.
  6. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

blabl and phihag like this.
  7. badmintony

As independent player(s)?

8. phihag

phihag Regular Member

The term independent player does not occur in the BWF materials. From the point of view of the BWF, they're a player of the federation.

What the press, commentators, federation, player, or tournament organizer say about the relationship between player and federation is unrelated to the official classification.

blabl likes this.
  9. blabl

blabl Regular Member

@badmintony

Okay I will spend a little bit of time to explain a little bit about this to you here. You see both of them are independent players. But then they still need their badminton association to register for them if both of them wished to go out for any tournaments together. Now this can be the tricky part. As we all know not all the countries throughout the whole world can have independent players. But then in their context it is different because their respective country badminton association are willing to register for them because in Malaysia and Indonesia there are many independent players that can still go out for badminton tournaments if their badminton association register for them to play in the tournaments.

But then there are also strict countries that basically don't allow their players to go out for tournaments unless these players are in their national team. So that makes a big difference here. So there are countries whereby their independent players are basically not allowed to go out for tournaments. Not at all of course. That is why in this context no matter how those badminton association won't register for their independent players to go out for tournaments. That is why you see not all the independent players from different countries around the world can go out to play in international tournaments.

To summarize my points, I put it this way. Players can only go out for international tournaments when their badminton association register for them to play. If the badminton association never register for the player to play in international tournaments, there is no way the player can go out for tournaments.

In short it means no registration from badminton association means not being able to go out for tournaments.

I hope you can understand what I have said. :)

phihag and Cheung like this.
  10. badmintony

I see. I got the idea now and thanks for explaining that:) But the current system on this IMO really sucks. There maybe some really good players out there who just can't get into the big tourneys because of all these requirements. Not to mention internal politics that could derail the chances of some really good playerso_O

blabl likes this.
  11. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Read this news below to get a clearer picture here.

http://www.badmintonplanet.com/badm...king-the-cai-yun-mathias-boe-partnership.html

12. blabl

blabl Regular Member

13. blabl

blabl Regular Member

@badmintony

So you think that this whole incident is very unfair right? But what can we do, in BWF context, the badminton association is above the players.

14. blabl

blabl Regular Member

@badmintony

Read carefully at what Mathias Boe said in the news above.

“I texted Cai asking why, but he didn’t even know we have been withdrawn by Badminton Association of China. And this is were I lose it. How can BWF allow an Association to withdraw players without a consent from the players? Badminton is an individual sport right, and both Cai and I wanted to play, but BWF allow other people than us to decide if we should play or not. This is just another class example of how much power BWF allow the associations to have.”

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Tricky. BWF still needs associations to produce players and support tournaments so things are not going to change soon.

blabl likes this.
  16. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    and it's another example of players being oblivious to the rules of their sport. i would expect this of a rookie, but not a loooong time player like boe.

blabl likes this.
  17. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    it will take at least 5x increase in prize money. at that point players will be able to afford, and take the risk of, pursuing independence.

of course, bwf will have to change the entry rules also... but do they really want to do that? i don't think so. my feeling is they like control. i have never heard bwf intimate they would like the athlete's to have financial independence. in any context. ever.

blabl and Cheung like this.