Indian Badminton League (IBL)

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by depleter, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Duh! Neither could I, and besides, that was a poor choice of colours! :D

2. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    Lol! Calm down....I sometimes feel that people go down on the officials, sometimes without even looking at the whole thing..I agree Indian officials can be selfish...But please look at the whole scenario..

First of all...This is the first tournament...Let them even break even first...You are talking about cash making...But I still doubt when the franchises will even have their break even. Lol! Announcing Mumbai franchise officially on Friday night is one of the things that point out that this league is no where near as the organizers are pointing out. For Leagues like this actually need corporate support. Lol! And since when did any corporate Indian companies supported Indian sports except SAHARA. They all went to IPL because that's where the money is. That's all. The organizers had a hard time to even get the franchise owners. So, let this league even get off the blocks first. Let them even try to break even.

And secondly, they have no time in their schedule to actually conduct a 7 match tie.
    They got only 4 hours to complete a tie completely.

For people who want schedule can look at schedule in BAI site
    http://www.badmintonindia.org/

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    To quote from the above linked article:

"No one was ready to buy the two Icon Players. Actually, by the time women's doubles was dropped from the format, the two had already been signed as Icons. Women's doubles was dropped because of less number of recognisable faces in India in the category. Also, our men's singles players are doing very good at the moment. By increasing the men's singles, we will allow our singles players to do well here, which was also agreed by the governing council," added Chadha.

Is this for real? The implication is that there are more "recognisable" men's doubles faces in India than WD. Hogwash.

4. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    A better choice could have been 2 WS, 2 MS and 3 (WD, MD and XD 1 each) Doubles matces - I completely agree with you.. Even i thought of it..

Scenario here is only for singles.. They do not even care about doubles :(.. That too for WD, only god knows :crying:... And also, they might have taken Jwala's controversies seriously and considering that, they would have gone too far and taking vengence at the last minute correction in the curriculum making WD match out of the context (I have seen Gopichand in auction pictures, Any role of him in this??) No idea. Just joking..

They wanted all the current good MS players to get auctioned. It is clearly visible in the auction. K.srikanth, H.S.Prannoy, Gurusaidutt, Ajay, Kashyap and even subhankar dey(boy who ran out of his home for badminton) etc were given importance by franchises..

#184 scorpion1, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  5. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    Thanks, your info clarifies what Bobby explained earlier... each team is set with the equal $275k budget limit to 'purchase' all the wanted players in the auction, ensuring a level play among the teams and to avoid the unhealthy extravaganza buying spree.

#185 kelana, Jul 23, 2013
  6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes from the summary produced in post #128 by craigandy, it would appear that the auction payment by the various teams is as follows ($275k max):

1. Hyderabad Hotshots - $275k (Saina Nehwal $120k as highest paid player)
    2. Mumbai Masters - $275k (Lee Chong Wei $140k)
    3. Banga Beats - $274.5k (P Kashyap $75k)
    4. Delhi Nationality - $274k (Tan Boon Heong & Koo Kim Keat $50k each)
    5. Pune Pistons - $271k (Juliane Schenk $90k higher than team mate Nyugen Tien Minh $44k)
    6. Lucknow Warriors - $256.5k (PV Sindhu $80k)

On average, both Lucknow Warriors ($25.8k) and Delhi Nationality ($27.4k) paid their players more evenly than others, with 5 players paid above the average auction price. Of course LW paid the least in total.

As shown in the summary the highest paid players are:

1. LCW - $135k
    2. SN - $120k
    3. J Schenk - $90k
    4. PV Sindhu - $80k
    5. P Kashyap - $75k
    6. Hu Yun, C Morgensen, Tan BH, Koo KK - each $50k

Does it follow that the team that paid the most will necessarily win the league?

For this, someone has to analyse the standing and current form of the team players individually.

#186 Loh, Jul 23, 2013
  7. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    From the organisers perspective its branding not just the money they draw in/make from... imagine associating with a city for starters that gives them free advertisements.. wherever the players go they are advertising them so that too is money saved/created endorsements.... and ofcourse the time they are gonna be on news/papers/ with their photographs easy way... I think! so its not just about the paper money I meant...

Officially the break even could take long but you know there are various ways to make money out of it and I wont go into that...
    The time to complete a tie depends on the number of matches... If I would have cared I would have used 2 courts how difficult is that huh? that would have had a few downside into the viewers but then you dont expect people to watch all the matches during the IBL do you?

I would like to have them get off the starting block but just wished to get it right from the start atleast the long term goals or else it goes into oblivion... and giving due importance to doubles is one of them.

Yes I should be praising IBL for what they aspire to do till yesterday I was doing that, today I am feeling sorry, but there is tomorrow and may be things would change for good...

But my initial excitement to start with IBL has been diminished a bit

8. _bobby_

_bobby_ Regular Member

I too agree with you on this. The reason I believe is purely commercial. The facts that India currently have more upcoming MS players, WD is usually the least entertaining of the 5 disciplines etc might have helped that cause.
    What happens if next year India have more upcoming WS players? Will they change the format?

9. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I bet that nobody in the franchisee would have known much about the international players except the coaches who plays a major role in identifying the player for the team. And also, this is for Indian players to get more exposure in the international arena, they have given importance to some of the players who are not in their well known standards. According to indian badminton, Saina played a great role . So, she is the root cause for all these improvements. We need to praise her for her accomplishments in badminton for India. Kashyap is in very poor form. Though he is in poor form, he is number 1 player for india despite many indian youngsters have proven that they are better than him.

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sorry for using the wrong name. Delhi "Nationality" should be Delhi "Smashers" which I found out from this article:

http://www.newstrackindia.com/newsd...-Jwala-Ashwini-go-unsold-at-IBL-bidding-.html

11. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
  12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    What's the new name?

13. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
  14. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    latest retweet by Jwala Gutta

15. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

:DIt was funny reading through, I just copy pasted these tables and had to stare at the last column for about 5minutes to work it out my self:). So sorry for the pain caused by colours, column wording and TTY insult:D

16. paroxysmal

Yes
    mathiasboe -"Didn't get sold to IBL. I'm really pissed, as I have supported the event all the way though,and almost left the national team to participate"

17. Giga01

Giga01 Regular Member

How many players where left unsold? Any more WHOA moments like with Boe? What happened to Bao Chunlai and Zheng Bo?

18. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

It is hard to pinpoint what is made up and what is real. A lot have things have been said then turned out to be false, so take this with a pinch of salt but they "claimed" 150 players to be auctioned for 66 places, but I even see some teams only have 10 players and no under 19's and they have been advertising 150 since when the Koreans where still supposed to be going so I think that 150 would be wrong but again who knows

Who knows if Bao or Zheng were ever signed up just like Ratchanok was not (although advertised). Unless an official list is printed we won't know what to believe.

That is a shame about Boe, committing so heavily to the competition and nearly quitting national set up to find no bid. They reported numerous times on the official twitter page that joachim fischer nielsen is currently the world no 4 in Men's Doubles, Maybe they thought he was boe:D.
    It is all starting to smell a bit fishy;)

#198 craigandy, Jul 23, 2013
  19. paroxysmal

Yes
    Conor Brown That being said, a franchise paying $40,000 for Guru Sai Dutt in MS and mathiasboe unsold as arguably the best MD in the world is a joke.

20. Giga01

Giga01 Regular Member

Thanks, just have to wait and see for some sort of official list then. IBL seems a bit strange for me right now.

Edit add: Whoa! Reports of Tago, Boonsak and Tommy and Sony also being unsold, that's many top MS players being unsold. Seems like a bad idea that they ever where in the auction at all to begin with if they still wouldn't be sold because of “they will be absent for some of the competition.” reasons. Maybe I just don't understand how the bidding process worked and how the franchises were/are thinking though...

#200 Giga01, Jul 23, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.