India Open SS 2012 - News, Views and Pics

Discussion in 'India Open / Malaysia Open 2012' started by cobalt, Apr 13, 2012.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Kashyap makes London 2012 cut
    Indian shuttler P Kashyap’s opponent, Chen Jin, withdrew at the last moment after making the Olympic cut.

By Shrikant Shankar
    Saturday 28th April 2012

http://www.espnstar.com/other-sport...item793139/Kashyap-‘walks’-into-London-Games/

Parupalli Kashyap qualified for the London 2012 Olympic Games on a dramatic note in the Indian Open Super Series badminton championships at the Siri Fort Sports Complex in New Delhi on Friday.

As the eager crowd expected a thriller of a contest between the two London 2012 Olympics hopefuls, China’s world No.4 Chen Jin pulled out at the very last minute to hand Kashyap an Olympic berth. The Indian Open is the last tournament for badminton players to qualify for the London 2012 Olympic Games.

Chen Jin, seeded third, decided to give the Indian shuttler a walkover in the quarterfinals as his London 2012 Olympics berth was confirmed after the earlier loss of second seed Peter Gade of Denmark. Gade lost to Wan Ho Shon of South Korea 24-22 21-18. Kashyap will now play Wan Ho Shon in the semi-finals.

With the results, India’s Ajay Jayaram lost out on the opportunity to get on the plane to London. Only one could have participated in the London 2012 Olympics, and Kashyap will be India’s sole entry in the men’s singles category.

“I feel luck has played a huge part in me qualifying for the Olympics. I did want to fight it out against Chen Jin, but these things can happen,” said a delighted Kashyap. “Thursday’s victory (against Boonsak Ponsana of Thailand) was crucial. Now I want to do well in the semi-finals.”

In one of the most exciting matches on Friday, Indian women’s doubles pairing of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa went down fighting against Japan’s third seeds Miyuki Maeda and Satoko Suetsuna 19-21 21-13 21-14 in the quarterfinals.

Despite the loss, the pair will be on the plane to London. “We are quite capable of getting a medal in the Olympics,” said a highly confident Jwala after the match. About the match, she however said: “We played well, but should have had more control. They did not win points, but we handed it to them.”

In one of the most anticipated matches, Malaysia’s world No.1 Lee Chong Wei outclassed seventh seed Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia 21-16 21-13 in the men’s singles quarterfinals. Taufik, Athens 2004 Olympic Games gold medallist, was no match for the younger Chong Wei’s speed and agility.

The Indonesian maestro, already one of the crowd favourites, showed glimpses of what he can do early in the first game. Known for his exceptional backhand, Hidayat thrilled the gathered crowd to some extra-ordinary strokes. But Chong Wei, also the defending champion, was too good for Hidayat.

In the second game, he hardly broke sweat as he wrapped up the match in just over half an hour. This was a complete contrast to his earlier round, where Jayaram pushed Chong Wei till the third game. “I was happy with my game. In the first and second rounds, I didn’t play well. So, had to up my game a bit,” said the Malaysian.

In the women’s singles, one of India’s bright prospects, PV Sindhu, fought heroically before losing to fourth seed Yanjiao Jiang of China 18-21 21-12 21-18. In the men’s doubles, India’s Rupesh Kumar and Sanave Thomas lost to Bodin Issara and Maneepong Jongjit of Thailand 21-12 21-12.

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Quarter finals image diary

io2012-010.jpg
    Peter Gade, one last time in India, as a pro. Unless of course, he changes his mind... :)

io2012-011.jpg
    Sindhu in a tangle against Jiang Yanjiao: "Please, little birdy, please fall ovr the other side..."

io2012-012.jpg
    Lee Chong Wei lifts to Taufik: "Come on lazy lah, give me more practise, I'll buy the curry later."

io2012-013.jpg
    Chen Jin: "...and this is how I injured my left wrist."

io2012-014.jpg
    P. Kashyap: "Karma, buddy! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to buy Ajay a beer."

io2012-015.jpg
    Juliane Schenk: "Some soldiers never just fade away. I'll do the 4-corner thing better than Shixian any time!"

Attached Files:

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Indonesian Doubles Duos Have Titles in Their Sights After Quarterfinal Wins
    Ami Afriatni
    | April 27, 2012

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/spor...n-their-sights-after-quarterfinal-wins/514593

Angga Pratama and Ryan Agung Saputra may be Indonesia’s No. 2 men’s doubles pair, but Koo Kien Keat and Tan Boon Heong will still not be happy to see them anytime soon.

Malaysia’s top pair stumbled yet again against Angga and Ryan, falling 21-18, 15-21, 21-19 in the India Open Super Series quarterfinals on Friday.

The defeat in New Delhi was Koo and Tan’s second in quick succession against the Indonesian duo. Angga and Ryan overcame the Malaysians for the first time in a Badminton World Federation-sanctioned event, but they also beat them in the semifinals of the Axiata Cup to set up an all-Indonesia final.

Angga and Ryan will face either Bodin Issara and Maneepong Jongjit of Thailand or the host nation’s Rupesh Kumar and Sanave Thomas in today’s semifinals. The other semifinal pits second-seeded Ko Sung-hyun and Yoo Yeon-seong of South Korea against Goh V. Shem and Lim Khim Wah of Malaysia.

Mixed doubles No. 2 seeds Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir eased into the last four with a 21-16, 21-14 defeat of China’s He Hanbin and Bao Yixin. They face third-seeded South Koreans Lee Yong-dae and Ha Jung-eun today for a spot in the final.

Despite beating the Chinese pair in 29 minutes, Liliyana said the defending Indian Open champions had their feet firmly on the ground. “We might have won the match in straight games, but I think we were not at our top performance,” she told the Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI) Web site.

Indonesia fell short of a semifinal hat-trick, though, as No. 7 seed Taufik Hidayat lost 21-16, 21-13 to world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia.

Not all the top seeds made it to the weekend. Men’s singles No. 2 seed Peter Hoeg Gade lost 24-22, 21-18 to unseeded Shon Wan-ho of South Korea, while top seed Wang Shixian fell 6-21, 21-10, 21-16 to No. 6 Juliane Schenk of Germany.

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Next closes in on the best

Jonathan Selvaraj : New Delhi, Sat Apr 28 2012
    http://www.indianexpress.com/news/next-closes-in-on-the-best/942561/

Excerpts:

Showing why she is reckoned to be the best prospect amongst India’s next generation of shuttlers, PV Sindhu took a game off World No.7 Yanjiao Jiang of China before going down 21-18 12-21 18-21 in just under an hour. Playing her first Super Series quarterfinal, she made the Chinese work for her points before the gap in experience played out.

...“It was an exceptional performance from Sindhu. This is the highest level and the way she has played against a couple of top-20 players in the tournament, it was amazing,” Gopichand said.

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Through to the semi-finals stage of the Womens Singles, Juliane Schenk must be feeling a tad miffed that her more er, illustrious "partners" in the battle against the Red Army folded meekly in earlier rounds. No Saina, no Tine, no Tzu Ying or Joun Joo. All gone. All fall down.

But she soldiers on, if you will. That is Juliane. Raging forever against the dying light. And she took out a decidedly wobbly #1 seed Wang Shixian. Because that is what Juliane will do if you give her half a chance.

Now, two more, younger, fitter, faster and motivated youngsters from China stand between her and the victor's place in this tournament. That means 2 more brawls for the never-say-die girl from Krefeld. No problem. Let's go!

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    io2012-016.jpg
    XD quarter-finals. Victors and vanquished. Will the mercurial pair of Towi/Lily take the title on Sunday? Depends on which Towi turns up over the next 2 days!!

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Seven Sundays ago, Li Xuerui ruined the party for Juliane Schenk at the finals of the German Open. Tomorrow, is a chance for Juliane to redress the balance a little. Juliane has not got the better of LXR in any of their 3 previous meetings, but that won't stop her from trying to do it tomorrow! And in the form and frame of mind she is in at the moment, Juliane looks in a very good position to pull it off.

The curry must be agreeing with her!

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Not enough spectators at this year's India Open SS? People leaving too quickly? Something not adding up here?

Simple! Blame it on the IPL, the Delhi Daredevils and Sehwag! With the 20/20 matches being held in the late evenings, people want to get back home to freshen up and then either roll out the big-screen or mosey over to the pub, or make their way over to the stadium for the real thing itself!

Chong Wei and Kashyap, Saina and the cuties? Or Sehwag and Pietersen? It's no match! :p

9. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    It's not easy to make badminton appealing to the crowd in India...or should i say impossible..Perhaps it's time to move the SS focus away from India and concentrate on the countries that have a much more enthusiastic crowd about badminton

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Semi-finals image diary

io2012-017.jpg
    P Kashyap: "Not bad eh, Ajay? I almost took out Shon and went into the finals!"

io2012-018.jpg
    Juliane Schenk "The Brainy Brawler" found her gutsy semi-finals opponent constantly short at the net, and deservedly went into the finals, where she will meet...

io2012-019.jpg
    ... Li Xuerui, "The Silken Assassin" for a shot at retribution.

io2012-020.jpg
    Well! I bet you never expected to see her on a Sunday! Kim Ha Na and Jung Kyung Eun take out #2 seeds Fujii/Kakiiwa, for their chance at redemption against those irrepressible kids, BYX/ZQX who own a 2-0 lead over the Koreans.

io2012-021.jpg
    Ha Jung Eun: "Yong Dae you selfish brute! Get back to the baseline before I smack your (admittedly cute) butt!"
    LYD: "Not on your tintype, girl! You snooze, you lose!"

io2012-022.jpg
    Cultural Exchange Programme: LYD and HJE show off their Kathakali Dance Duet moves to the delight of the appreciative crowd...

io2012-024.jpg
    ...and in response, the Indonesian Cultural Troupe show off the classical Balinese Legong moves, to bring the crowd to its feet.

#50 cobalt, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Five players enjoy first Superseries success
    Monday, April 30, 2012

The Yonex Sunrise India Open came to an exciting close on Sunday as five players tasted gold for the first time in their careers at an OSIM BWF World Superseries tournament.

Full story:
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=62388

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    A very nice, short interview with Juliane Schenk at the India Open.

[video=youtube;pLyecbkaRYk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLyecbkaRYk[/video]

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Finals Day image diary: Ladies Doubles

io2012-044.jpg

io2012-046.jpg

io2012-045.jpg

io2012-043.jpg

io2012-040.jpg

io2012-041.jpg

io2012-028.jpg

14. cobalt